Controversial Whats an anime you like but manga you didn't or vice versa

Yoho

Not Very Well-known Member
‎
#1
Question for the masses just to get the brain turning

What's manga you really enjoyed but didn't care for the anime adaptation

Also

What's an anime you enjoy but the manga version never really hooked you?

For me in the first Question my answer is Mission Yozakura family the manga was really good it has plenty of action and a nice blend of comedy, goofy romance and action but the anime adaptation felt off to me

For the second question

HxH the anime was great it has great voice acting, the phantom troupe is one of the best villain groups to ever do it and my boy Kurapika was putting in work but with the manga between every page being stuffed with dialog and constantly going on hiatus, it was hard to really get into.


PS

Dear Mods, be a doll and move this to the appropriate section please and thank you
 
#5
Kengan Ashura - I prefer the manga to the anime. The anime is good but the manga is on another level especially with the art in the later arcs.

Acchi Kocchi - I prefer the anime to the manga, tried the manga version but I got turned off by how much more of a wuss Io was compared to the anime where he's a funny exaggerated Gary Stu.
 
#6
Berserk Manga is obviously better than any anime adaptations it has. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo doesn't have manga. Kingdom anime is better than the manga
 

Devilbat

Just chill and let chill
‎
#7
I generally prefer manga to anime, but I got hooked to the manga thanks to anime, especially Shaman King & Naruto playing on Fox kids or whatever channel that was. I really dislike characters who shout a lot (think Asta from BC or Zenitsu from Demon Slayer), or think about millions of seconds spent on dramatic wind effect (looking at you, CLAMP).

Manga imo is much much better, but in some cases anime is just as well done. Frieren, for example, I only watch anime b/c it's something I can do with my bf who reads no manga at all. I might be missing out something, but oh well, I will probably read the manga later. I also liked Black Lagoon as anime a lot, and with manga seemingly never ending, I am not sure when I will ever get back to it.

But in general, I enjoy manga more because I am bookworm first, and binge-watcher second.
 
#8
Question for the masses just to get the brain turning

What's manga you really enjoyed but didn't care for the anime adaptation

Also

What's an anime you enjoy but the manga version never really hooked you?

For me in the first Question my answer is Mission Yozakura family the manga was really good it has plenty of action and a nice blend of comedy, goofy romance and action but the anime adaptation felt off to me

For the second question

HxH the anime was great it has great voice acting, the phantom troupe is one of the best villain groups to ever do it and my boy Kurapika was putting in work but with the manga between every page being stuffed with dialog and constantly going on hiatus, it was hard to really get into.


PS

Dear Mods, be a doll and move this to the appropriate section please and thank you
The Naruto anime is the greatest achievement of mankind in the 21st century if ATLA and Ben 10 didn’t exist
 

Devilbat

Just chill and let chill
‎
#16
If the original material isn't good for you, you won't enjoy the anime. As simple as that.

Unless you have issues reading any comic book.
Interestingly enough, I vastly prefer manga to traditional comics from Marvel & DC. I quite like Batman, so I read a few titles by various artists, and the comics felt a bit too cluttered compared to manga. Too many small details and colours, walls of text at times... I still liked the stories, but if it's Marvel or DC I'm much more likely to enjoy animated movies/series/some LA is also ok.

That's great animation. The distortion is on purpose to show his anger.
Yeah, the intention might be good, but instead it turned a great panel into a meme.

Anyway, Naruto anime was cool, but goddamn I hated those filler episodes.
Like WTF was this episode?
 

Devilbat

Just chill and let chill
‎
#17
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo doesn't have manga.
Can't believe I missed you mentioning these legends! Yep, really good stories, both of them.
Some modern anime also doesn't have manga as it might be based on games, like Cyberpunk Edgerunners (which is still not as good as Bebop and Champloo ones, yet decent enough for me to still be in love with its soundtrack).

I absolutely loved the bonus story in the official video to the ending OST:

In just about 4 minutes they managed to tell a new character's story that is fully aligned with their main storyline's message "Don't make a name for yourself as a cyberpunk by how you live... Make a name by how you die".
 
Top