Let's not go there. You are entitled to your opinion on PL, as anyone.
What did you guyz expected ? I see hatred, I see a crisis of media literacy in many fanbase, I see lack of understanding of the story on pretty much all levels, I see that the first is feeding on the other creating even more hatred and conservatism, to the point it affects not only the experience of said audience but the entire fanbase AND its status, I also know what can happen to fanbases that tend to fall into such conservatism.
I've seen this social movement of hatred lose complete control over the years so yes, I will go "there". And there is the side of fandoms that tends to completely dehumanize and desensibilize any forms of readings : powerscaling and aurascaling.
I only say this because you clearly feel the exact same way about "us", as you have already said.
No. I don't think you lost common sense, I think you guyz have confused being a fan of a story and being an storytelling analyst. One requires to be able to enjoy a story and have empathy for the character, the other to have the tools to understand it correctly.
And the problem is that in trying to theorize and powerscale One Piece by aiming at its analysis, this part of the fanbase forgot to be empathetic with the characters and enjoy the damn experience.
It takes time to understand how stories really work, it took me 20 years of learning to feel like I had any idea about the subject and I still feel like I have so much more to learn. The same way, it takes patience, love and care to be able to have the empathy to understand layers of characterization as we can see them in One Piece. One Piece will show you its true color ONLY when you combine the two, which usually happen if you care about things like empathy or when you can binge the entire story which pushes the elements of characterization closer.
The example that I always bring up is Sanji. His characterization in Whole Cake AND Wano that was mostly missunderstood on the spot by fans who focused on theorizing and powerscaling. People like me had to hammer the point about his sensibility (
before Oda did that in both arc) to make the rest understand that actually, this was perfectly in character and actually amazing for the story. This type of missunderstanding is so common that MOST form of backlash against the story is a derivative of such process.
Vegapunk, Zoro, Big Mom, Oden, Yamato etc.. And you will see people like me each time explain to these boyz here what they are missing, things that are then either confirmed by the story (
the fact that Yamato stayed for a good reason for ex), either clarified by Oda to hammer the point (
Vegapunk and York for ex), either then demonstrated by influencers on youtube (
check MelonTee for more understanding on Zoro and Sanji's characterizations), either still missunderstood because people do not make the work to look deeper than the surface layer (
Oden for ex.)
Engaging in this will only lead to a five-page back-and-forth where neither of us convinces the other.
Well then, don't start. I think you guyz know this forum enough to know that if you push an opinion on the narration of the story, there will be a good chance that I will over around.
There is no "retroactive" anything
The retroaction is not about the debate that did happen 20 years ago, it's about the social phenomenon of hatred that spreads today. As hatred is a contageous phenomenon.
Also, regarding your point on older forums being isolated: not really. That was the golden era of forums, and they easily had 100x the active population they do today.
They were still isolated from the rest of the internet and exterior population that is more casual. This frontiere was breached by the rise of youtube and other social medias.
What was discussed on them had a massive, direct impact simply because of how many people were on them and what those people said to their friends etc.
It only had an impact on that part of the fanbase that we are talking about. The rest grew beyond that influence, which created a much more positive side.
Nowadays, forums still have an impact, but it's far more indirect.
Exactly, that is precisely my point and what I'm trying to fight. The bridge between this part of the fanbase and the casual one is a lot bigger, meaning that forum can now impact the experience of casual audiences as well and the fanbase as a whole.