Worstgen

Cinera
Cinera
I'm not confident enough in this guess to bet on it. I would probably bet that Zoro does one of the three things I mentioned, but not a particular one. It's also perfectly plausible that Zoro doesn't surpass Oden this arc (or perhaps in any meaningful way). For a recent example Sanji's boasts regarding the cake fell completely flat.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
I think he'll surpass Oden during the Wano arc. It would be an appropriate way for Zoro to show his dream slowly becoming reality, similar to Luffy post WCI.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
Imo, injuring Kaido and fighting King are far more likely and appropriate than the scenario in which he only fights Kyoshiro, whom at this point is surely Denjiro, thus an ally. It would be incredibly underwhelming if Zoro's major contribution is fighting someone who's on the good side.
Cinera
Cinera
Now while I don't expect Oda to shaft Zoro as much as Sanji, it is plausible that he does get shafted. Zoro's fight with Kamazou and general Wano performance showed that Oda is not beyond making Zoro look less than perfect.
Cinera
Cinera
Alternatively, if Oda decides to have Luffy solo Kaido (not very implausible), then Zoro probably wouldn't surpass Oden in that way. If it comes down to it, Luffy's dream is more important and takes precedence over Zoro's. Luffy surpassing Kaido is more important than Zoro surpassing Oden.
Cinera
Cinera
The surpassing Oden plot point may simply fail to materialise.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
I disagree. Whenever it directly involves a character's dream, Oda never gives them the shaft. If Zoro does not provide feats that match or even surpass Oden's, which involves injuring Kaido, his strength in relation to Oden's will always be in question. I don't think it's Oda's intent for when Zoro becomes WSS that there be asterisks involved, like whether Zoro truly surpassed Oden or Ryuma.
Cinera
Cinera
All in all, I think there's a good argument for Zoro ending up a low top tier this arc, but recognise the following caveats:
* I may be overestimating the likelihood of Zoro ending up a low high tier.
* Zoro may surpass Oden after Wano.
* Zoro may never meaningfully surpass Oden.
Cinera
Cinera
The above was stream of consciousness, @KiriNigiri I'll get to you now.
Cinera
Cinera
> Have you been binge reading the arc?

I caught up earlier this week.
Cinera
Cinera
> Well, until Oda elaborates on black blades, I'm not sure if it will be the ideal way of conveying Zoro surpassed Oden. I believe he has to replicate or surpass Oden's feat, otherwise, his strength in relation to Oden will always be in question.

I agree that the most impactful way of conveying Zoro surpassing Oden is for Zoro to inflict upon Kaido an even greater injury than Oden did.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
If Oda never wanted Zoro to surpass Oden, he'd never have given him Enma, nor even introduced the feat of it cutting Kaido if it's not intended to repeat it. But I digress, Oda could do it, but I don't see the narrative value of introducing these elements just to not follow up on them.
Cinera
Cinera
> I think he'll surpass Oden during the Wano arc. It would be an appropriate way for Zoro to show his dream slowly becoming reality, similar to Luffy post WCI.

I've addressed this I think.
Cinera
Cinera
> Imo, injuring Kaido and fighting King are far more likely and appropriate than the scenario in which he only fights Kyoshiro, whom at this point is surely Denjiro, thus an ally. It would be incredibly underwhelming if Zoro's major contribution is fighting someone who's on the good side.
Cinera
Cinera
Never made the connection to Denjiro (it seems plausible on reflection), otherwise I agree, I was merely stating what seemed to be the likely outcomes for Zoro.
Cinera
Cinera
> I disagree. Whenever it directly involves a character's dream, Oda never gives them the shaft. If Zoro does not provide feats that match or even surpass Oden's, which involves injuring Kaido, his strength in relation to Oden's will always be in question. I don't think it's Oda's intent for when Zoro becomes WSS that there be asterisks involved, like whether Zoro truly surpassed Oden or Ryuma.
Cinera
Cinera
My reply would be that Luffy's dream takes precedence over Zoro's. Luffy surpassing Kaido is more important than Zoro surpassing Oden.
Cinera
Cinera
> If Oda never wanted Zoro to surpass Oden, he'd never have given him Enma, nor even introduced the feat of it cutting Kaido if it's not intended to repeat it. But I digress, Oda could do it, but I don't see the narrative value of introducing these elements just to not follow up on them.
Cinera
Cinera
Yeah, Enma has many associated Chekhov Guns, but like I said I don't think Oda cares about Zoro enough to necessarily pull the triggers on them.
Cinera
Cinera
A lot of my resistance/scepticism is just me covering my bases and playing devil's advocate.