Worstgen

KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
Izo receives some nice characterization in these chapters, beginning his transition as a Whitebeard Pirate. How he ultimately does so might be linked to his backstory. Izo has lacked a father figure during his most crucial developing years. And while Oden gave him and his brother a place to call home, Oden was just not what Izo might have been looking for. Enter Newgate.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
Newgate is more of the same how he was during Marineford. A pillar of a man who loves his family more than anything, and only wishes to adventure with them for eternity. However, the air of invincibility is shed for a bit to give light to a more human and lighthearted Newgate. He is capable of being silly, annoyed, playful and sarcastic. This flashback opts to demystify the old legends, and I'm fine with that.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
It connects us more to them as characters. I imagine Newgate's death in Marineford will hit me more after having read this flashback. This rings especially true for Roger, but we'll get to him later. Now I wish to move on Toki and Oden's growing family.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
Oden's and Toki's first meeting is beautifully poetic. The little bits character we get from Toki, she appears to be an aimless woman running from place to place. Even her destination of Wano likely wouldn't have given her the answers she seeks, as her family, the Amatsuki, are seemingly all gone by the time of the flashback.
KiriNigiri
KiriNigiri
As she is being taken in for human trafficking and forced to hop through time, Oden appears, preventing her travel. Very poignant way of summarizing their relationship, though that's about as much as we get from it. What's really important is that Momo comes from this, and Oden's name for him. "The Invincible." Momo is just a baby, but already from birth, expectations for him are high.