Worstgen

Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
Overall, I think so. I won’t sit here and defend Oda’s shortcomings, and my opinion on how he writes for women is well-documented around here, but I believe he has historically tried harder to portray LGBTQIA+ characters with a little more nuance than just LOL THEY GAY
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
Does he have room to improve? Don’t we all? Could he be a little better about highlighting the inequities between genders and races? Yeah, but again, couldn’t everyone?
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
Considering the main demographic he writes for - prepubescent boys - he seems to put a little more effort into addressing social issues from an open minded place. Whether or not his readers follow is up to them.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
I definitely see where you’re coming from with each point, which is why I don’t feel the need to counter argue them. Any criticism of Oda in those arenas is totally justifiable. I’m just saying that when compared to a lot of shonen series like DBZ, Naruto, or Bleach, he’s done a better job if only by inches rather than miles.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
@SanjiIsStrongerThanZolo You decided to comment, so you tell me. Lee asked a question on my profile and I answered it; how do you figure your input is necessary?
HA001
HA001
Whilst bon clay and ivan are great characters theres no way hes portrayed what they are well at all imo.
On the other hand hes done good with kiku. Born a male everyone addresses her as a female no over the top nonsense cool af character gets shit done kills yonko hype lol. Mind you tbf to oda that could be down to the times changing. Mr 2 and ivan were written years ago.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
@HA001 That’s all I’m saying - he clearly could do better, but even leaving something to be desired is a step up from most mangaka who either don’t acknowledge that kind of thing at all or botch it even worse when they do. I criticize Oda and his work A LOT around here, so I feel I should give him credit wherever it’s due.
HA001
HA001
Again tbf the man has been writing this story since the 90s
Times have changed and he seems to be progressing with it which is fair enough.
But the fandom need to chill too and not try label everything when they done need to. Like ive seen arguments on yamato for e.g. when imo theres nothing to argue about. Yamato isnt like kiku wanting to be adressed as a different gender and im her mind is. Yamato is a -
HA001
HA001
- woman who wants to be oden. Its not a case of gender or anything like that. If oden was a woman shed be oden the woman. If oden was a tree shed be oden the tree. Not something to get riled up about imo.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
@HA001 Yeah, Yamato’s kinda thrown a wrench into things for both people who want to get gender correctly AND people who don’t. I think it represents a genuine effort for some fans to be sensitive about this topic, which is nice, but like I said in the toxicity thread, how many guests do you think come here, see the “Is Yamato a lesbian” thread, and exit the browser without a second thought?
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
I’m not saying we all have to be 100 percent PC every moment, but Christ, we can do better while discussing a series that is more socially conscious than the average “I punch you/You punch me back” comic than CONSTANTLY using words that intentionally hurt others.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
This shouldn’t just apply to homophobic slurs - I don’t like seeing the R word either, even when it’s just the prefix “tard” attached time a character’s name. You can insult a person without also attacking anyone else, you know?
HA001
HA001
Lol what ? Her sexual preferences havent even been implied.
But iirc when luffy called her by a male pronoun she corrected him to a female one. Personally the whole oden cosplay shit is grating and annoying and leaves her with no character of her own. Something i hope she moves on from sooner than later.
Jew D. Boy
Jew D. Boy
@HA001 If you’ve missed it, I won’t link it here because it doesn’t deserve any more attention...suffice it to say, it exists and has more replies than it probably should. You can imagine the level of discourse in it, too.