Worstgen

Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
I’m not sure what you mean, but a story should follow its own themes and be consistent. Luffy going from ‘people die’ to ‘even if you die, don’t die’ is just plain old character regression. That’s what ruins a series.
Jailer
Jailer
To be fair he said people die but yet no one died in Alabasta. Igaram and Pell are alive and well in the end.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
It’s not about whether the characters actually died. It’s about Luffy’s attitude. Being pragmatic and logical vs regressing into an emotional 12 year old.
Jailer
Jailer
I understand tho the complains about these ridiculous scenarios where a character should be dead yet they survive it (Kinemon).

I wouldn't even mind no one even gets killed, at least don't write these bs scenarios for fake tension, you do that few times but repeating that over and over gets annoying.
Jailer
Jailer
@Den_Den_Mushi his words hold no weight then, if no one dies what's the point of writing that dialogue, he was trying to prove a point to Vivi but it turned out she was right and saved everyone.
Cinera
Cinera
@Den_Den_Mushi: I think that's in part because for long running series (especially shounen), the audience outgrows the series. They mature as people and readers and get more sophisticated tastes.
Cinera
Cinera
Perhaps the series do decline over time, but I suspect a lot of the perceived drop in quality is simply a shift in tastes among the older readers.
Cinera
Cinera
When did you start reading shounen?
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
@Jailer thats not how this shit works. If I tell you not to drink and drive because you could have an accident and die, but you do it anyway and survive, I’m still right in what I said. Same thing with Luffy telling her not to be a naive little brat.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
@Cinera nah I don’t always mean the Kinemon stuff, like that shit is straight bad. I mean shit like Naruto being the reincarnation of a demigod when the series’ message was always ‘screw destiny’ and emphasised that he never was a natural born genius like Sasuke.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
There’s something to be said about the audience being more sophisticated and then there’s just the series derailing and shitting all over itself and its own themes. That’s just objectively bad, whether you’re 13 years old or 33.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Also I started reading shonen weekly around 2009.
Cinera
Cinera
I do agree that Naruto did retcon its original concept and themes.
Cinera
Cinera
But your tastes have probably also matured over the 13 year period you've been reading shounen manga.
Cinera
Cinera
Would a 13 year old find the shift in broader themes of the story as jarring as the older readers do? I'm not so sure.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
But haven’t the broader themes of the story tried to become more sophisticated? This is another point where the series ends up eating itself. Naruto introduced the concept of the cycle of hatred, but could not resolve it in any proper way. The authors are trying, they just… suck at it. Lol.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
One Piece went from a fun adventure story to this weird narrative where Luffy is going to end slavery and save the world. Arguably that is Oda trying to mature the story, it’s just that his chops as a writer simply can’t hack it.
Cinera
Cinera
Actually, I don't think that is maturing the story. Making Luffy the literal saviour of the world isn't a maturity of the themes of the story.
Cinera
Cinera
It makes for a very simplistic story with a cartoonishly evil Celestial Dragons/World Government and a prophesied saviour that is coming to deliver the world from them.
Cinera
Cinera
It removes the sophistication of ambiguous morals. There's a clear evil and clear good.