Ballel
Oh, politics :popcorn emote:
Doggo
Doggo
Akainu is 100% authoritarian.
Left? Eh....not sure about this one.
Lee Ba Shou
Lee Ba Shou
Well, Akainu is a fan of large government power, which doesn’t necessarily make him a leftist I’ll give you that lol. But most US right wingers I know favor small Government so they can get away with abusing people and the planet and no institution can hold them accountable, and that doesn’t at all sound like Akainu to me lol, he thinks Pirates and revolutionaries are evil.
Doggo
Doggo
Using brazilian political standards, for example, Akainu's ideology is much more aligned with the conservative groups here which are, historically, right wing groups.

But the thing is, we don't know much more about Akainu's thoughts on other areas, like economics, social rights, etc, to determine whether or not he would be Right or left.
We only got enough to say he's an authoritarian figure. That's all :P
B
Ballel
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung You already gave yourself the answer: "most US right wingers".
Authoritarian right wing governments are hardly against government regulation, no!?
Lee Ba Shou
Lee Ba Shou
@solis yeah that is true, and there are plenty of US right wingers who claim to be against big government but will flip the switch to authoritarian as soon as their agenda calls for it.

Still though, classifying Akainu as a conservative also seems weird to me, because almost every conservative I know is just straight up deluded, and there is a lot of merit to Akainu’s perspectives and beliefs
Lee Ba Shou
Lee Ba Shou
Like sure not all Pirates are evil, but like…most of them are lmfao, and even the good Pirates out there often do little to stop the bad ones
B
Ballel
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung Using the US political spectrum for reference is problematic here. The USA are not a representative of the whole world's political structures
Doggo
Doggo
Well, Pirates ARE, by definition, OUTLAWS.
That's a matter of how you deal with outlaws. There are plenty of Marines from the beginning of the series, who aren't dickheads and don't go shitting on the SH's just "because pirates" reasons. From the marines saluting Luffy after the Morgans' arc, etc.

Akainu's approach is "good pirate is dead pirate". A extremely punitive view of the penal system --
Doggo
Doggo
-- that is not interested in PREVENTING crime, but PUNISHING it.
Akainu represents the "after cause" side of the law.
Does Akainu have any type of ideas to prevent crimes from happening? Some labor or assistance program? Promoting social policies that envision a better social status for everyone? Etc...
Which is why I try not to bring One Piece stuff into the real life. One PIece is EXTREMELY simplistic and ---
Doggo
Doggo
--- does not survive the transition into the real world and all of its complexities.

Btw, Dragon's ship is based on Fidel's ship.
Take that as you want.
kekw
Lee Ba Shou
Lee Ba Shou
I wouldn’t be so sure Akainu doesn’t have a plan to eliminate/end the Pirate era, I think him moving his HQ closer to the Yonko, instituting the draft, incorporating SSG, etc…all these big moves he is making as Fleet Admiral could hint that he does want to end the Pirate era in some way rather than just punishing Pirates lol, but we’ll see I guess.
Doggo
Doggo
But that's the thing, he makes no distinctions whatsoever.
If you try to erradicate pirates but not the causes that drives people into piracy, it's a never ending battle.
Usually pirates in One PIece are nothing more than evil goons.
What if some need to take on piracy because their kingdom is in shambles and they have no other source of income?
What if they are being threatened? (like Coby)--
Doggo
Doggo
-- What if they just like not being tied to any sort of government? Like the SH's

There are multiple nuances for piracy, but Akainu did not show any sign of caring about those. He just sees pirates under the "criminal light" and wants to get rid of them.
I would love to dive more into Akainu's character, his motivations, etc.
But after what we got from Kaido....
Let's say I won't be putting any eggs on that basket.
B
Ballel
@Doggo about the Dragon—communism parallels:Oda drawing inspiration from irl communist "revolutionaries" such as Che Guevara shouldn't be too hard to see but while Che Guevara was homophobe,Oda placed a queer character at Dragon's side.
It's as you said, the political spectrum of One Piece is hardly as complex as the various interpretations of politics in real countries.
After all, One Piece is not a political manga
Lee Ba Shou
Lee Ba Shou
Yeah that’s why I want to see a Marine who actually wants to end the Great Pirate era since this is the cause for most piracy. I think Akainu may be the best opportunity to do this. And it would be disappointing if Akainu really is that deluded and thinks all Pirates are equally evil and deserving of death and that’s his entire character and philosophy. Lol