Worstgen

Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Pretty good, I got a kitten about a month ago and she’s really cute. Very naughty but loves people and follows me everywhere.

How about you? How’ve you been?
Cinera
Cinera
Alright. I handed in my resignation letter for my current job a week ago.

I've made progress on filing official documentation and stuff related to my Masters.
Cinera
Cinera
I've started studying maths again more seriously.

I have a lot to learn, but I'm going to take it easy.
Cinera
Cinera
I've also began drawing up a research agenda of sorts.

I'm thinking of transitioning from a career as a developer to a researcher and I'm hoping to pursue a PhD after my Masters.
Cinera
Cinera
I'm not going to worry to much about remuneration in the near term. Getting a career that would let me investigate the issues I think are important and need to be studied is matters more.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
That’s great! Well if you’re in the STEM field I’m sure your skills will be very in demand no matter what you choose to do.

What kind of research do you want to do?
Cinera
Cinera
AI stuff. Mostly theoretical.

Safely developing transformative artificial intelligence seems very important for civilisation as a whole.
Cinera
Cinera
What are you doing nowadays?
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
Nowadays? Settling into being a cat parent. She has done wonders for my mental health. She’s won my entire family over who prior to this weren’t really animal people.
Den_Den_Mushi
Den_Den_Mushi
AI is interesting… I guess. From a thought experiment/futurology point of view. I guess personally though I’ve never been interested in it since our tech in Australia is a good decade away at least from even touching AI. More relevant to countries like Japan imo. But definitely a fun area to be in right now.