C
Celestia
They are fine but clearly overrated ; ) RGs and Meruem >>>>
Chrono
Chrono
Oh your team RGs...I like both but PT is a tiny bit better 😍
D
dizzy2341
Akatsuki is by far the best. The Phantom Troupe was one of the only good things out of HxH though. They were more entertaining than Espada for sure. Warlords aren't even a group in the same manner as the others.
Chrono
Chrono
So you dont like the Chimera Ant arc ?
D
dizzy2341
Nope. I liked Meruem and Komagi, basically nothing else.
Chrono
Chrono
Have you caught up to the manga ?
D
dizzy2341
Nah, I dropped the anime during chimera ant.
Chrono
Chrono
Wait so you never finished ? What....why ?

(Is it cause of the narrator ?)
D
dizzy2341
It was so incredibly dragged. And yeah, the narrator really drained all the life out of everything that was already slow. Frequently explaining the most obvious things. I didn't care for any of the ants at all other than Meruem, but he wasn't enough alone to make it worth watching to the end. I found out what happened in the rest of the arc since I didn't want to watch it.
D
dizzy2341
Out of the arcs I saw, I only enjoyed York New. Granted I really enjoyed that arc (like 8.5-9/10), I didn't like any of the others. Hunter exam was like a 6 and Greed Island like a 5. Just didn't enjoy HxH nearly as much as I was expecting to.
Chrono
Chrono
If you watch the 1999 version, the Hunter Exam is literally so amazing. But for 2011 one, yh its not as good. In my opinion, CA arc is the best arc, better than YN. This is because it isnt only a character arc for Mereum and the Ants, but also for Gon and Killua. Like the contrast between episode 1 and episode 116 is crazzy. And even if you dont like the RGs, they got really good development at the end.
Chrono
Chrono
The current manga arc is amazing. It's basically a manga version of Game thrones (Season 1-4). And we have Kurapika as the MC now. Plus we the iconic Chrollo vs Hisoka happened. You should give it a try. But you need to be prepared for long dialogue. Really long....
D
dizzy2341
It doesn't help that I'd seen the chunin exams before. Compared to the chunin exams, the hunter exam arc was an absolute joke, lol. And yeah, I'm fully aware of Gon and Killua's development, I just don't like Gon at all so I didn't really care. As for GoT comparisons, I'm reading Kingdom atm and having a blast. I was considering giving HxH another go though and finishing the anime off since drizzt recommended it.
Chrono
Chrono
Like I said, the 2011 version doesn't really do the start of HxH justice. I'd say watch the 1999 version for the Hunter Exam only. Then watch the rest in the 2011 version.

I giess their are 2 reasons to dislike Gon. 1, that he starts as a basic Shonen Protagonist, which is kinda boring. Or 2, he becomes something thats far too dark. In my opinion Gon was likable but I truly was invested in him in the CA arc...
Chrono
Chrono
But yh I guess it's hard to like Gon when he has Killua right next to him....who is close to being a perfect character.

Anyways read the current manga....it's just pure greatness.
D
dizzy2341
I'll keep that in mind.

And yeah, Gon was just bland and then you get moments like when he uses the angel breath on Genthru, the piece of shit who also just blew his arm off. It didn't come across as nice, it came across as damn annoying and random. And then he gets all batshit over the death of Kite, a character we hardly ever knew, and then pulls out this new form to beat them...I just felt so bad to me.
D
dizzy2341
The manga art seems awful from what I've seen and I've been shown there are pages with mountains of dialogue like you're reading a novel and there's just some tiny squiggle in a panel and that's it. As much as I loved the phantom troupe and Killua, they're not enough to carry the series for me personally.
Chrono
Chrono
Well small moments like that show that bit of craziness that's within Gon. Previously within that arc he befriended a Cannibal that tried to kill him and his friends. After finishing HxH, you should watch some character videos on Gon, and you'll be suprised at all the foreshadowing you missed with him.
Chrono
Chrono
As for Kite, thats another mistake with the 2011 anime. In the manga and 1999 version, Kite saved Gon as a kid and used to look after him. He taught him about his father and made him wanna become a hunter.

The manga art is inconsistent....yes. Trust me, at times it's really good. But you'd rather have inconsistent art than an inconsistent story like OP.
D
dizzy2341
Yeah, I've seen some analysis videos. One guy basically said that Gon judges morality based on its relation to him. But that doesn't add up to his actions with Genthru.

Lol, that's a pretty big thing to leave out xD

Totally fair lmaoo