Theory Bad End Musical is about the will of D, foreshadowing Big Mom’s amnesia and a second timeskip. Part 3

C

critical mindset

(7.3) Inherited will

This is a theory about the will of D and so one cannot not bring up the concept of inherited will as I also believe they're connected. However, some of you may question why I'm so late into the theory when deciding to bring up the concept of inherited will. The answer to that simple question is: I think judging from the song that not just anyone can simply pass on their will to someone else. For a will to be inherited the recipient of that will must've been inspired enough to want to take up and hold oneself to that will and that dream in the first place, I believe by witnessing and being impressed by how 'drunk' the owner of that will is on their dreams and passions. Thus, I believe that Zeff who transferred his will of finding the All Blue to Sanji, and Dr Hiluluk, who transferred his will to Chopper to find the panacea for all illnesses, they must've both overcome their inner death to a great extent and in so doing allow themselves to become somewhat drunk on their dreams so that they could be in a position to inspire Sanji and Chopper to take up their respective causes in the first place; if they were not truly drunk (or drunk enough) on their dreams then Sanji and Chopper would not have found their dreams impactful enough to compel them to take up and actually want to inherit their will in the first place; only those who have sufficiently conquered their inner death can pass on their will to someone else as it is only then that one can truly stir the passions and dreams of those inheriting that will.

With that said, Chopper may have inherited the will of Dr Hiluluk but that doesn't mean that Chopper is now in turn in a position as to be able pass on that will on to someone else as he hasn't yet sufficiently overcome his inner death and so is not yet fully drunk on his dream. The same may be true of Sanji although I think they're both approaching the point in their development where they'll overcome their inner death and may at their journey's end so as to be able to go on to pass on their wills to the next generation. I think this ability can be acquired with the honing of one's character through the facing one's fears and doing the required 'inner' mental work, and in the process of doing so I think it's possible to chip away at one's inner death. Such people that are not D:s but that are able to pass on their wills I think are few and far between, though. Someone like Zoro, though having a rather self-centered objective as the wss, I would still view as being able to pass on his will as well as he's pretty 'drunk' on his passion in the ways of the sword to say the least (perhaps him being able to hold his liquor is a further hint to this fact) so any young greenhorn student would find the ways of the sword a noble cause to follow by watching the example of Zoro wanting to emulate and take up his will of becoming the wss.

What distinguises the D's besides simply having their lineage trace back to the original D clan from the Ancient kingdom I believe they possess this ability to inspire dreams and passions to a far greater extent that those who are not D's but who can still learn to pass on wills. The D's allow themselves to become fully 'drunk' on their dreams and passions and so their ability to pass on their will and erupt a passion and make it come alive, the D's effect in this regard is simply far greater than that of Dr Hiluluk and Zeff.

As the D's live life to the very fullest in pursuing their dreams, they would naturally also be in favour of the greatest of freedoms and would thus antithetically opposed to any entities and forces that would seek to trample on and cut down on those freedoms. The pinnacle of that opposition would be the Celestial Dragons. That's why the D's are the natural enemies of the Celestial Dragons which implies that whatever freedom burns in the breasts and in their hearts of the D:s are the very same passions and dreams of freedoms hailing all the way back to the Ancient Kingdom. That's why I believe that the D's have inherited the will of their ancestors; the Ancient Kingdom may have crumbled under the heel of the World Government but their ideals have lived on by the simple workings of the strength of their dreams, the flow of time and those wills being inherited yo to this point. "For those who seek freedom in this life, these things shall not vanish" which is why the D's are the natural carriers of the ideals of the AK: they pursue freedom to the greatest extent as they are truly the freest inside as in having freed themselves from the shackles of the 'inner death'. That's why they will carry on their will long after they're dead. Whiteboard said it best in explaining how the wills of the D's are being carried on after their passing.

“You're not the one Teach!!
The man roger was waiting for,at the very least,it's not you teach
Just as there are people who inherited roger's will...
Someday one will carry ace's will...
You may eradicate their bloodline ,but their flame never dies...
For many ages , it has been passed down through the generations...
And someday,bearing the weight of all these generations,a man will appear to challenge this world...

(7.4) Are you willing to pay the price?

Yet the question is: joining up with the D's and their respective wills and dreams, what would that entail besides feeling like an ‘ideal situation’? Big Mom says quite clearly that ‘if you leave I’ll kill you’. As this phrasing , again, is part of an analogy, what then does ‘if you leave I’ll kill you’ mean in our particular case? What I think it means if we look at the context of Tottoland is that it is a perfect and ideal place (one can argue about that though, but for the sake of argument that’s at least what Big Mom is trying to achieve and imagines it to be) and the phrasing "although if you try to leave I’ll kill you" I think means that the overall experience with the D's will be a great one ('create a peaceful world where everyone's happy, a place where no race is rejected') and so makes for a great ride and personal experience for you (hence why we love ghem to death literally speaking) - but the 'price' or trade off is basically that when shit hits the fan it will get really ugly. The D's sure are terrific and inspiring people and signing up with them sure is a great experience e - but the trade off that comes with it is a potentially high penalty associated with it. All you need to do is look at the different D's out there and see that they often put themselves in extremely dangerous situations as a result of their headstrong, unrelenting and -sometimes - foolish wills: if you’re unfortunate enough this will invite disaster and chaos into your life. Basically the price you pay by signing up with the D's can result in you having to suffer the consequences that follows in the wake of their dangerous shenanigans.

Basically the 'deal with the devil' entails that it's going to bring with it a shitstorm of perils and 'bombs' set along the way that it's not even funny: danger and D go hand in hand and that's just their typical trademark. Just look at how Ace's foolish and 'risky' decision led to his capture and as a result lead to the death of so many of his crew mates and followers and which ultimately spelled the doom and collapse of the WB pirates. For them being friend and companion of Ace was a great honour and privilege (much like an ideal situation) yet the fruits of that association also invited untold misery in the end for all the WB pirates and their allies. The same I think applies to all the D's; their noble yet foolish passions will inevitably lead to much disaster for the people that join and follow their cause. It's just in the nature of the D's that they rock the boat, they tempt fate and they push their luck all too many times that inevitable they land themselves and their friends and followers in great trouble

Summary

The taste represents the will of D, the quality of being 'drunk' on your dreams and passions and consequently conquering one's inner death. This is the ideal of and quality that's unstoppable in the heart of the D's, hence why they 'live lives without regrets'. Yet the fruits thereof can also be dangerous for them and those who follow them in their wake. Big Mom uses her own situations as analogies to shed light on the nature of the will of D through demonstrating that there are both great pleasures and great afflictions to be had by association with them. Big Mom demonstrates this by referencing her past, that the will of D is an all consuming dream and passion filling the hearts of the D's that often clouds judgment, bringing with it either glorious victories or woeful tribulations as a result of such misplaced desires. The D's stir things up, make bold maneovers and schemes and disrupt the status quo by their strong desire to follow their dreams and passions, whatever the cost. As a result of their strong presence and force of character the song informs us that we are but slaves to our yearning desire to partner up and partake in the glorious adventures of the D's despite deep down knowing the inherent risks of being tethered to their name and their deeds; we do it all the same because the D's stir a fire within our breast that are our most innate dreams and passions kept dormant within us; the D's make them flare and erupt into life within us! The result of that is priceless to most people: so much so that they stake their very kingdom and lives in favour of relations with the D's (just ask Ryukogu Kingdom).

Yet the song also brings with it warnings of turbulent futures for the strawhats and friends alike because of the high-stake ventures of the D's gone awry (the road to hell is paved with good intentions). The song brings to bear the example that befell the strawhats in Sabaody as a reminder of what will happen in Wano. Likewise the song informs of the fates of the D's that will result in either the greatest of triumphs or the steepest of falls; the D's never bring with them a calm sea but a wild tempest!

The song also hints at the future for Big Mom as she is also the subject of the of a foreshadowing which can be divined from the song itself.

Conclusion and final words

As we have established and managed to deduce from the song, there are deep undertones that conveys greater and more personal truths as well as portending future events that have already happened in the story as well that are yet in the making of playing themselves out. As the song continues in chapter 902, I will make a part two some day in the future to continue where I've now left off.

I believe that the song is in fact a poem written by Oda that sort of uses Big Mom as a mouthpiece, one might say, and all in all in combination with the props of the chapter this makes for a very poignant and very gripping delivery of the poem. While inclined to believe in my own analysis for obvious reasons of bias I also think the song (sorry, I mean the poem) about the will and nature of D is, quite frankly, very beautiful. Now, while I'm not a prolific reader of poetry, I find it hard to believe that there'd be any poem as as exquisitely artistic and impactful yet so terse and on point - and equally as beautiful as Bad End Musical! I can quite honestly say that coming to this realisation of the meaning of the will of D has revolutionised the way I see myself and the limiting beliefs I and I think all of us impose on ourselves, regardless of whether my interpretation holds any truth: the very impact of the same stands as truth in and of itself. As I struggle with my own 'inner death' on a daily basis, looking at how the D's use their courage and their drunken dreams and passion - that amazing will-power of theirs - "that overflowing sweetness" - to push forward and move onwards to seizing their destiny and living their dreams is incredibly inspiring! Even if I'm wrong on this, clutching at straws (no pun intended) to make sense of this song: for me it holds a personal truth for me at any rate. One day I hope to present this interpretation and analysis to Oda and see what he makes of it and to relate to him how big of an impact a mere manga and song such as this has had on me. For outsiders this may seem silly but I'm sure Oda will have a good laugh about it, drinking a sake to my honour as I do to his.

With the release of episode 875 come Sunday we will see this epic finale of the WCI arc. I hope that you will view this episode with a new pair of eyes and perspectives, to appreciate the context and cherish and revel in it’s meaning and significance. Hopefully with the new outlook that I’ve hopefully imparted onto you you will have the necessary tools to make your own interpretations and predictions, perhaps to connect any dots that I might have missed. But I believe that we should also pay homage to Oda for his incredible mind in conceiving of this masterpiece, quite frankly, much like we do other great authors like Shakespeare and Hemingway and whatever else they’re called. I’m actually not ashamed to say that Bad End Musical is the greatest piece of poetry that I’ve ever read or written about! For outsiders unfamiliar with One Piece will obviously not have the faintest idea of what I’d be talking about so I probably won’t mention it at he dinner table, but as for fellow One Piece fans and theorists, this is all for you! I sincerely hope that this poem will inspire your passions, your dreams: and your will! "For these ideals are unstoppable in the hearts of man; as long you seek freedom in this life, these things shall now vanish!"

Thank you so much for reading and have a lovely day

Last edited by a moderator:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Great work as always, my man! :cheers:

I do love the concept of all wills eventually merging with those of the D clan, their heavy emphasis on letting fate take control makes them attractive partners to anyone with a dream. We see the use of Haki in many non-D characters, proving that the force of will isn’t specific to a single sect, and their teaming up with people like Roger and Luffy comes with the kind of potential consequences they know about going in. The risks of following one with such an indomitable will are clear, but they go along anyway thanks to the spirit inherited by those who came before them; tying your will to a D is almost a cosmic kind of kismet, it was always meant to happen and will regardless of anything else.

C

critical mindset

Great work as always, my man! :cheers:

I do love the concept of all wills eventually merging with those of the D clan, their heavy emphasis on letting fate take control makes them attractive partners to anyone with a dream. We see the use of Haki in many non-D characters, proving that the force of will isn’t specific to a single sect, and their teaming up with people like Roger and Luffy comes with the kind of potential consequences they know about going in. The risks of following one with such an indomitable will are clear, but they go along anyway thanks to the spirit inherited by those who came before them; tying your will to a D is almost a cosmic kind of kismet, it was always meant to happen and will regardless of anything else.
That's the funny thing about the will of D - that it's a drunken will; a drunken passion. While I'm not saying non D's can't have strong wills, what's the nique and unifying factor among the D's is that they're utterly absorbed by their wills, hence why it's akin to being "drunk" on your passion:milaugh:which I think is an absolutely insane and fascinating concept actually. I think if this is what Goda meant, then he captured the concept perfectly in a poem like this. And yes, it's almost an inevtiability akin to fate, like you so eloquently put it, with the D's dazzling charisma and force of personality that wherever they go people get inspired by them and want to latch onto whatever they got going for them: hitch their waggon to their greatness that is a result of their relentless personalities. The D's are a special breed that simply command respect! It's going to be a bumpy ride but that's to be expected! :cheers: