Character Discussion Character Analysis: Kuzan Has Finally Found His Original “Burning/Passionate Justice”

A lot of people seem to miss this, but before O’Hara, Kuzan’s justice was “Burning/Passionate Justice.” After O’Hara, Kuzan started to doubt the government, let Robin live, and changed his motto to “Lazy Justice” to cope with his disillusionment with the system.

What have we been told about Kuzan since he left the navy?

Doflamingo: “There is a difference between the look of an aimless vagabond/wanderer and a determined man.” (referring to Kuzan)

We don’t know his current motivation, but Kuzan is finally determined for the first time since O’Hara.

Garp told Kuzan “those who lose their way are weak” and that Kuzan has to return to the Navy.

But Garp is someone with a straightforward mindset and is the one making an error. He’s a good person and one of the few “true marines,” but his fatal character flaw and shortcoming is that he can’t see any way to change the world other than from within the system itself. He probably made the same mistake with Dragon.

Kuzan has finally found his way, not lost it.

He’s going to prove it to Garp at Hachinosu. This isn’t meant to be a powerscaling thread, for all I know Garp will need a squad to put him down.

But Kuzan will have a moment where he proves his determination to Garp.

I'm not sure about the Dragon-Garp thing, since they're still in constant touch with each other (Dragon told him he met up with Luffy and what not at Loguetown + he's still "morally" on the good side as his organization is literally called "will of the people"). Garp I think just believes that Kuzan is wandering around and unsure of what he wants to do, because to him there's probably no possible way that a protege of his would join under a scum like Teach who has some of the most heinous criminals in the world under him.

I'm still of the mindset the other Blackbeard Pirates are gone jump in the fight, and likelihood of a 1on1 all out fight is very low, due to the people around them and what not, along with needing to take care of the Island itself.

But all of this is good. He's found his original burning justice to be Smoker's Admiral level hypetool.

He dodged that question the first time they met, and then joined the Blackbeard pirates shortly after. So, next time when Smoker confronts him, that Yonko Commander pirate ass is all Smoker's. Smoker gone drag that boy back to the Marines as a true friend would.

I'm not sure about the Dragon-Garp thing, since they're still in constant touch with each other (Dragon told him he met up with Luffy and what not at Loguetown + he's still "morally" on the good side as his organization is literally called "will of the people"). Garp I think just believes that Kuzan is wandering around and unsure of what he wants to do, because to him there's probably no possible way that a protege of his would join under a scum like Teach who has some of the most heinous criminals in the world under him.

I'm still of the mindset the other Blackbeard Pirates are gone jump in the fight, and likelihood of a 1on1 all out fight is very low, due to the people around them and what not, along with needing to take care of the Island itself.

But all of this is good. He's found his original burning justice to be Smoker's Admiral level hypetool.

He dodged that question the first time they met, and then joined the Blackbeard pirates shortly after. So, next time when Smoker confronts him, that Yonko Commander pirate ass is all Smoker's. Smoker gone drag that boy back to the Marines as a true friend would.
Nah.

Kuzan is set to be a major factor in the BBP’s downfall.

The Titanic got sunk by an iceberg in real life, and BB’s commanders are called the Ten Titanic commanders.

Now you might think “there’s no way Oda would do something so obvious.” Really?

Captain Kidd irl was the most unlucky pirate of all time and look at Kidd in One Piece.

Napoleon was defeated at the battle of Water Loo/Law.
And of course Big Mom (with Napoleon) got defeated by Trafalgar Water Law.

So Oda is probably setting Kuzan as the thing that brings down some organization.

I feel like people get pretty sensitive whenever a character doesn't develop into a Luffy simp and join the "good side" especially when a Marine Admiral does it. Going from the Military to the most despicable Pirate crew, can already see Kuzan's popularity take a hit because of that (if no traitor plot is used).

Objectively this is one of the best developments Oda has written for his characters.

I feel like people get pretty sensitive whenever a character doesn't develop into a Luffy simp and join the "good side" especially when a Marine Admiral does it. Going from the Military to the most despicable Pirate crew, can already see Kuzan's popularity take a hit because of that (if no traitor plot is used).

Objectively this is one of the best developments Oda has written for his characters.
People are so obsessed with the ideals of “good and evil” as if every good person should work with luffy which is a joke.

Everyone’s just following their own dreams ideals and honor. Everything is very grey in one piece for that reason. Hell a lot of luffys friends are actually monsters of people.

Kuzan joining BB because it gives him the freedom and ability to accomplish his dreams and Justice is a fantastic growth of his character and people who want him to be a rev or worse Sword just need to stop seeing “BB pirates = Evil”

A lot of people seem to miss this, but before O’Hara, Kuzan’s justice was “Burning/Passionate Justice.” After O’Hara, Kuzan started to doubt the government, let Robin live, and changed his motto to “Lazy Justice” to cope with his disillusionment with the system.

What have we been told about Kuzan since he left the navy?

Doflamingo: “There is a difference between the look of an aimless vagabond/wanderer and a determined man.” (referring to Kuzan)

We don’t know his current motivation, but Kuzan is finally determined for the first time since O’Hara.

Garp told Kuzan “those who lose their way are weak” and that Kuzan has to return to the Navy.

But Garp is someone with a straightforward mindset and is the one making an error. He’s a good person and one of the few “true marines,” but his fatal character flaw and shortcoming is that he can’t see any way to change the world other than from within the system itself. He probably made the same mistake with Dragon.

Kuzan has finally found his way, not lost it.

He’s going to prove it to Garp at Hachinosu. This isn’t meant to be a powerscaling thread, for all I know Garp will need a squad to put him down.

But Kuzan will have a moment where he proves his determination to Garp.
Yeah that’s definitely the impression I got from what Kuzan told Smoker at PH. Unlike before, Kuzan isn’t forced to be someone he’s not.