Character Discussion Character Redesigning Discussion: Post TimeSkip Strawhats

Rottkins

✯ ✧ 𝔾 𝕠 𝕕 𝕠 𝕗 𝕃 𝕚 𝕖 𝕤 ✧ ✯
Ayo! Here I come with more of my shit...
I was for long working on redesigns for Strawhats, I still do cuz I want them to be perfectly fitting etc, but I started to wonder now how others would do that. I saw 2-3 people who did wonderful job with it, and I know that many others tries to do so as well. So I decided to hear u out here as well, maybe it will give me some better takes and ideas

I just want to mention that "kicking out someone cuz that and that" won't be accepted on the thread... But you can always focus on just part of the characters if you don't see a need for everyone of them/don't have your own thought on how would they look differently.

What WILL BE really appreciated are:
  • Analysis of the islands where each of them got on, and impact of each on characters
  • What might fit each straw hat what was for example in a movie or such, inspirations and maybe some visual examples of each.
  • What might stay from the past that would still fit them well/what is too iconic to erase.
  • Construct problems like lack of consequences from things what happened on the island in canon and how you think would impact them after timeskip.
  • Possibilities what if the timeskip would take longer, meaning here an impact on them. How long it will be might be appreciated as well + if they would move from the island or not.
  • Other variants of attacks, styles of fight etc.
  • Original Oda's sketches and ideas for their redesigns and what would you use from them in the redesigns if you would like to use them.
  • And many more! Those are just ideas how to bite the topic but I believe you would do just fine even without examples!
Also, if you like something like that, I can always make more from different fields and maybe as well possibilities!

The tag list is from the furry trial and my cross guild fc :kayneshrug: sorry for the tag guys

I do wish we got a bigger impact on where the straw hats spent their time to affect their designs, but for those who got fully revamped I wish we still see some reminiscence of the pre timeskip design.

1. Luffy - he’s fine power wise and design wise imo. I just wish he never had Gear 4 and oda just focused on Gear 2/3 more.

2. Zoro - Zoro despite spending years on Spooky island left the timeskip looking more like a samurai than before, cool but odd. I’d like if his outfit didn’t change as much. I liked the pre timeskip shirt pants and sash, but maybe add an overcoat or a cape similar to Mihawks.

3. Nami - I miss her classic clothing… the bikini look just feels like forced fanservice. She nearly died from walking around shirtless pre timeskip now her go to design is walking around shirtless? Cmon. She just needed a nice looking outfit, maybe give her a cool star or cloud designed shirt go along with the magic vibe like those who taught her, but the bikini? Nah.

4. Usopp - Usopps design actually pretty cool. I dig the mc hammer pants and the suspenders. Mixed with the Tarzan body type? Only thing that I’d change is the hair style. I’d wonder how it’d look if he wore it down like his good timeline 40 year old version. Really give the jungle vibe.

5. Sanji - I like the suit design; but I think it’d be nice if he just had a flower boutonnière to go along with it to kinda fit that he did train in pink island.

6. Chopper - God… where do we start with post timeskip chopper designs. Honestly my favorite of them is heavy point. The more monstrous look becuase chopper doesn’t feel a need to fit in was awesome, but then making all his other designs “cutesy” to sell merchandise is kinda going against the character. I think making his other forms more monstrous would work.

7. Robin - I miss robins OG design, and I think it would’ve worked so well with the rev army goggles. That’s probably what I’d stick with and just revamp that rather than completely change it.

8. Franky - No changes except to keep the pre timeskip pompadour.

9. Brook - No changes, the rockstar vibes while keeping brooks old design still consistent was so freaking good.

Rottkins

I do wish we got a bigger impact on where the straw hats spent their time to affect their designs, but for those who got fully revamped I wish we still see some reminiscence of the pre timeskip design.

1. Luffy - he’s fine power wise and design wise imo. I just wish he never had Gear 4 and oda just focused on Gear 2/3 more.

2. Zoro - Zoro despite spending years on Spooky island left the timeskip looking more like a samurai than before, cool but odd. I’d like if his outfit didn’t change as much. I liked the pre timeskip shirt pants and sash, but maybe add an overcoat or a cape similar to Mihawks.

3. Nami - I miss her classic clothing… the bikini look just feels like forced fanservice. She nearly died from walking around shirtless pre timeskip now her go to design is walking around shirtless? Cmon. She just needed a nice looking outfit, maybe give her a cool star or cloud designed shirt go along with the magic vibe like those who taught her, but the bikini? Nah.

4. Usopp - Usopps design actually pretty cool. I dig the mc hammer pants and the suspenders. Mixed with the Tarzan body type? Only thing that I’d change is the hair style. I’d wonder how it’d look if he wore it down like his good timeline 40 year old version. Really give the jungle vibe.

5. Sanji - I like the suit design; but I think it’d be nice if he just had a flower boutonnière to go along with it to kinda fit that he did train in pink island.

6. Chopper - God… where do we start with post timeskip chopper designs. Honestly my favorite of them is heavy point. The more monstrous look becuase chopper doesn’t feel a need to fit in was awesome, but then making all his other designs “cutesy” to sell merchandise is kinda going against the character. I think making his other forms more monstrous would work.

7. Robin - I miss robins OG design, and I think it would’ve worked so well with the rev army goggles. That’s probably what I’d stick with and just revamp that rather than completely change it.

8. Franky - No changes except to keep the pre timeskip pompadour.

9. Brook - No changes, the rockstar vibes while keeping brooks old design still consistent was so freaking good.
Oooo I extremely agree with Nami and Chopper, they were done quite dirty in my opinion... Robin as well to be fair. The best ended up Brook to be fair with his design, and yes Usopp's pants are really fitting to him.

At the end forgot to share with you art of a person who did the best work so far I've seen so far, I think you will like them-
https://wellfine.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F638983874167308288

Oooo I extremely agree with Nami and Chopper, they were done quite dirty in my opinion... Robin as well to be fair. The best ended up Brook to be fair with his design, and yes Usopp's pants are really fitting to him.

At the end forgot to share with you art of a person who did the best work so far I've seen so far, I think you will like them-
Damn Indiana jones Robin was a design I never thought of but that’s freaking good!

Not sure how I feel about the Franky tho. It looks insane, but I’m not sure if that’s in a mad scientist way or a SUPER way.

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
I'm fine with everyone except Franky and Chopper.

Franky: His preTS design was more practical, but I understand why Oda chose the redesign due to landing on VP's insland. I think he should have the ability to enter and exit his giant body like a mecha suit, similar to General Franky. He keeps that Franky vibe, but it also highlights how he's grown as a inventor/shipwright in comparison to how he was before the time skip.

Chopper: Kung Fu freaking point. Yuck. He should have a sleaker design like an actual fighter vs being a fat racoon dog that knows martial arts. Example:
Also, Oda should have shown him honing his various points to justify the change (i.e. learning hand to combat = Kung Fu point).

Also for chopper:
I wish he had a slim adult design based on the minks that allowed him to use his martial arts of arm and leg point along with electro.

Would’ve been such a natural power progression and would’ve made the Zou arc feel like a better pay off. But honestly, it feels like Oda got lazy for chopper where now chopper barely uses his other forms cause he either goes kung fu, heavy, monster, then back to baby brain point (which doesn’t even have the same ability of brain point)

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
Honestly the designs that bother me the most are Franky and Chopper. Franky I just found him silly but in a cool way pre-TS, now post-timeskip I just find him completely goofy, especially his changing haircut which often doesn't work for me. Chopper is pretty obvious, he was already cute before and I like cute chopper, but I feel like Oda overdialed the cuteness to sell merchandise which is a shame in my opinion. Also chopper hiding hiluluk's hat is a big rip in my eyes. Finally just gonna mention Robin who is mostly fine imo, but I cannot get over the loss of her tan, I feel like she looked better with it

Rottkins

I can't read it because of the font color and the Perona design
:josad: here my mate...
Ayo! Here I come with more of my shit...
I was for long working on redesigns for Strawhats, I still do cuz I want them to be perfectly fitting etc, but I started to wonder now how others would do that. I saw 2-3 people who did wonderful job with it, and I know that many others tries to do so as well. So I decided to hear u out here as well, maybe it will give me some better takes and ideas

I just want to mention that "kicking out someone cuz that and that" won't be accepted on the thread... But you can always focus on just part of the characters if you don't see a need for everyone of them/don't have your own thought on how would they look differently.

What WILL BE really appreciated are:

• Analysis of the islands where each of them got on, and impact of each on characters
  • What might fit each straw hat what was for example in a movie or such, inspirations and maybe some visual examples of each.
  • What might stay from the past that would still fit them well/what is too iconic to erase.
  • Construct problems like lack of consequences from things what happened on the island in canon and how you think would impact them after timeskip.
  • Possibilities what if the timeskip would take longer, meaning here an impact on them. How long it will be might be appreciated as well + if they would move from the island or not.
  • Other variants of attacks, styles of fight etc.
  • Original Oda's sketches and ideas for their redesigns and what would you use from them in the redesigns if you would like to use them.
  • And many more! Those are just ideas how to bite the topic but I believe you would do just fine even without examples!
Also, if you like something like that, I can always make more from different fields and maybe as well possibilities!

The tag list is from the furry trial and my cross guild fc :kayneshrug: sorry for the tag guys

The one I have I would largely change is chopper rid of muscle points puffy furry neck and yeah make kung fu point reference Bruce Lee and not a ball.
Only things I like about these designs is choppers coat and it looks like namis has her own cloud skates thats great idea but the rest nah especially zoros peg leg :whitepress: And everything with sanji.

Rej

Year of the black beard!
Yea Franky was hurting the most, but nowadays I am used to it.
I expected Brook to be looking more like a rockstar overall.
Chopper for me was one of the best surprises. Kept grinding his lane, but the hat was kawaii.

All in all I hope that the Franky design will pay off soon.

Hey man, thanks for the tag :)

Robin: For me, I remember being most disappointed in Robin's design post-timeskip, because she lost everything that was distinctly hers and looked like any other fan service female.
It would be cool to see her in a design that either hints at her time with the revolutionaries (something badass, I imagine hair in a long french braid, military boots or a solid colored tactical jacket) OR an outfit that reminds us that she's an archeologist (what comes to mind are the puffy khaki or beige shorts, boots, a backpack...Think Lara Croft)

Usopp: for me, he has the best change post timeskip. I think his new design is perfect. Except if he has dreadlocks, now that would be great.

Nami: I 100% agree with Yasheen's comment above. She almost died from lack of clothing, so her new look doesn't fit her. And she calls herself weather girl so I wish at least her clima-tact cane had been shaped as an umbrella or something.

Franky: Well? He's still in his eternal Hawaiian shirt and speedos, so that much hasn't changed but I miss the two stars on his forearms and the huge necklace around his neck. It screamed gangster boy from the hood! But in his case, I understand that a more cyborg look is befitting and I actually like the different hairstyles.

Chopper: I'm surprised at how many people are bothered by the cutesy look? It's a running gag in one piece that Chopper's bounty is always very low because everyone mistakes him for a harmless pet. I think he should continue being cute until it's finally the moment of revelation where his monster look has to be particularly scary to make a good contrast.

The rest of the crew: I feel like their look is consistent with their personality, no necessary changes are needed I think, although I love the high heeled shoes brook is wearing in the tumbler art designs Rottkins showed. And I miss clean shaven Sanji, I feel like his personality fits someone who shaves everyday and smells like aftershave? His fussy side sure makes it believable.

1. Luffy, his original design is cool and iconic it was good to remain that although I would appreciate more muscles like they did in Wano. His powers was also fine I liked the way he activates G2/G3 but would also appreciate if he uses the old way of activating it for a better/stronger use of the gears. Like he can instantly use G2 but if he forces his legs his G2 would be stronger. G4 was also cool both Boundman and Snakeman but it sucks how Doflamingo somehow survived G4 and how Snakeman still was overhelmed by Katakuri.
  2. Zoro, I liked how Oda buffed his torso but he seemed to forget his arms. It got strange like some Crossfiters(specially women) gets. His outfit is much cooler in my opinion and tied him stronger to his origins since he learned swordsman ship from a samurai. His cut eye without explanation or eye patch is weird I really hope he would open at a time but it doesn't seem to be the case. I guess Oda just chose him to be the eye patch pirate he wants at the end of the story but why not giving him an eye patch already? And he didn't showed much of his powers until Wano. It kind of sucks to me that he didn't had an all out battle up to Wano and then in Wano he is changing swords without a reason. I would also like if he never used Asura again hate that attack. But his way of fighting was still cool as always. I would appreciate if Oda gave him more legs strength he has amazing feats using his arms to swing his sword but his legs barely can jump to a good high.
  3. Sanji, I liked him a bunch. He easily activating Diable Jambe is cool, sky walking, water walking is awesome. But as Luffy I would also like if he could spin around to create a hotter/stronger Diable Jambe and as Zoro he didn't having an all out fight up to Wano(actually he barely fought) sucks. His Raid Suit Design also looked cool too bad Oda wasn't brave enough to keep it because of crying fans.
  4. Nami, she was awesome too. Great design besides her unrealistic thin waist great power with her new climact tact. As Zoro it sucks that she didn't fought up to Wano.
  5. Usopp, the biggest dissapointment through post-timeskip. Usopp comes back with a decent design looking stronger but with terrible new powers that fits the island he trained but sucks when we compare how his powers was before(fire and magic tricks). Also he was suppose to be one of the strong guys now like Arlong Park the Quartet. If is to keep Usopp as the same afraid but brave pirate then at least he could have used Sogeking mask to boost his confidence in some moments. As Zoro the lack of fights of Usopp even after Wano sucks a lot.
  6. Chopper, bad design looking too childish but cool power ups since he can control his DF transformations better right now. But no fights for him basically. Would be cool if he had a new transformation for 3rd rumble ball though.
  7. Robin, terrific deisgn but as Nami her unrealistic thin waist is creepy. Didn't notice much power up up to Wano and as Zoro her lack of fights till there sucks.
  8. Franky, cool design but creepy legs. His power ups are cool specially he fighting now with a Megazord. And had enough fights for someone out of monster trio(more than Sanji actually).
  9. Brook, cool design nothing spetacular. His only power up was turning into a soul, or did he had any other? As Zoro his lack of fighting even at Wano sucks(he only fight at Dressrosa I guess not counting BM beating him up).

Most of all I miss Nami's pre-TS haircut, it was so iconic to me, and especially cool since most of Nami clones actually have similar long hair and it makes me miss Nami's shorter hair more.
I also like Franky's pre-TS design a lot more, current one is way too unbalanced for my taste, how those legs manage to carry those shoulders?

The rest of the re-designs I'm fine with, they are not too drastic, and while I miss Robin's pre-TS haircut as well, I am less salty about the change.

Rottkins

Most of all I miss Nami's pre-TS haircut, it was so iconic to me, and especially cool since most of Nami clones actually have similar long hair and it makes me miss Nami's shorter hair more.
I also like Franky's pre-TS design a lot more, current one is way too unbalanced for my taste, how those legs manage to carry those shoulders?

The rest of the re-designs I'm fine with, they are not too drastic, and while I miss Robin's pre-TS haircut as well, I am less salty about the change.
god pre timeskip Franky and robin were iconic, I love Nami‘s bottom part of clothing but that hair yet was a weak replacement to what nami had before