Versus Battle Code Geass vs Death Note

Which is the better series

• Total voters

AL sama

Red Haired
Which verse has a better MC?
I love both of them but I'll give it to lelouch cause light kinda strayed off from his first goal
Which verse has better Support/role Characters?
death note cause code geass has many underdevolopt characters
Which verse has the best Power structure?
code geass obviously
Which verse makes more sense?
death note its pretty much the real world
Which show has a better ending?
code geass cause to me death note kinda got messy with the second shinigami popping up and the whole successor of L stuff
And Do you think Lelouch would carry the Death Note franchise better than Light does? Vice versa with Light in Code Geass as MC?
neither

D

Dragomir

Why is relatability such a crucial aspect to you ? That should have no bearing in how you objectively rate a character imo
Because I personally like characters that have a drive/motive that makes sense. Characters who fail and overcome it. Characters that develop. It's what makes them and also us, humans. Characters that are cool and strong and whatever are generic and boring to me. There are a few exceptions to that rule, for example, I like Gojo a lot and he's definitely cool and strong but in general, that's how I feel about characters.

Which verse has a better MC? ... CG, i dropped Death Note after a few episodes it was just trash after L's death
Which verse has better Support/role Characters? ... CG
Which verse has the best Power structure? ... CG
Which verse makes more sense? ... CG
Which show has a better ending? ... CG
And Do you think Lelouch would carry the Death Note franchise better than Light does? Vice versa with Light in Code Geass as MC?
Yeah i do and i don't think Light would go far in CG

S

Shuyaku

i’m not talking about fights and physical power

light had two notebooks,two death gods,shingami eyes and a lot of followers while Ls side hardly had anything

so what, that's not "power structure", though i'm not sure wtf that means exactly

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
light had two notebooks,two death gods,shingami eyes
Light had one DN book and his goals and of course good looks attracted Misa to him.
Ryuk wasn't helpful and Rem wanted to kill Light lmao. Misa was more of a hindrance tbh, since they found her out almost immediately, and Light had to plan more because of her.

Ls side hardly had anything
You're joking right lmao? L had the entire police organization at his disposal, foreign agencies, people to work for him, and unlimited budget. He could do whatever he wanted to.

Death Note is the much better show for me. Honestly, I dont think Code Geass is a good show....like at all...there were so many contrivances to get the plot moving and it annoyed the hell outta me.
Yeah the Euphemia moment sucked
Post automatically merged:

Which verse has a better MC? ... CG, i dropped Death Note after a few episodes it was just trash after L's death
Which verse has better Support/role Characters? ... CG
Which verse has the best Power structure? ... CG
Which verse makes more sense? ... CG
Which show has a better ending? ... CG
Yeah i do and i don't think Light would go far in CG
Your opinion is wrong
Post automatically merged:

Still and forever salty.

Okay to finish what I started.

Plot
For the first halves of both shows, Death Note takes the cake. The thriller between L and Light with both trying to one-up each other with 4D chess moves was absolutely amazing to watch. How the plot moved forward with both of them getting closer to their goals but putting themselves at a higher risk each time was just perfect. L revealing himself to Light and adding him to the team put himself in a susceptible situation to getting killed but he could also observe Light more intensely now. Light's memory loss was the big-brained power move I have ever seen occur in my entire life. Light vs L was just absolutely tremendous. But then...L died. I remember saying that second half DN didn't drop in quality but I was dead wrong cause it most definitely dead. Mello was very meh and amounted to almost nothing as a villain. But the main problem here is Near. He's a copycat L. The way the pieces and plot moved now just didn't make sense anymore. With L, it wasn't that he was a 200 IQ character. The stuff that he did and figured out, anybody could have done it was just that he did it quicker. He realized the stuff in between quicker than everybody else. This highlights how keen, attentive, focused, and overall dedication to the whole project Kira thing L was. He took big risks that had a big reward. Him slowly but surely pinpointing Kira was natural. Near however wasn't. He sat back and was just watching everything. Didn't take any risks and was just figuring stuff out on the spot like a 200 IQ boss and for me, that was very very lame. Death Note went from 8/10 to a 6/10 for me.

Code Geass surely does not have as strong as a first-half that Death Note had but it was a lot more consistent in strength from start to finish. Now, some things just flat out didn't make sense at times to me. Like C.C. losing her memory, Marianne returning somehow(through her Geass I guess?), and then C.C. do getting her memory back. I was pretty confused. But I didn't mind cause the payoff was satisfying enough to me.

Ending
I think this is mainly what decides which one of the two is better. The ending of CG was wholesome and touching. The ending of DN was asscheeks. First of all, Near being the one to catch Kira is some major bulljive. He's a copycat L. A copycat should not be the end to catch Kira. The original should. L should have been in that position. I don't mind Light losing, I honestly thing it makes sense but Near being the one to take the dub away from him causes major issues for me. Had it been Mello, no problem. He's his own character. L being the one is most preferable. Hell, Light winning instead would have been real sweet tbh. But Near...hell no.

Why was the ending of CG good? Because it makes sense. Lelouch accomplished his goal of taking down Britannia by becoming the Emperor of it but through this, he saw how the people were viewing him as a dictator and it was technically his fault. He did control and manipulate people. He had set that image up for himself. To continue living, he would have ruled with fear over the people. That would be no peace which has been all he had been trying to create this entire time. It was clear that that wasn't going to change. So, he fixes this by having himself be killed by Zero being masked by Suzaku. This ends the tyranny of Lelouch, frees the will of the people, and most of all, continues on the symbol of Good and Heroism that Zero was been made out of. Through his death, Lelouch achieves his goal of world peace for not just Nunally but for all the people. Another important thing brought by his death was that Nunally was able to see that his brother actually wasn't evil at all. I would have hated it had she ended with that perception of Lelouch in her head when in truth it was complete opposite.

As Light died, he took an L. As Lelouch died, he took a W. That marks the difference between Death Note and Code Geass.

I hope y'all enjoyed this read. I love both shows but in my opinion, Code Geass is the better of the two. If you disagree, that is perfectly fine. I can understand why someone would prefer DN over CG.

The Euphemia moment

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Just off what I can remember.

Protagonists - Equal
Antagonists - Death Note
Ensemble Cast - Code Geass
Soundtrack - Code Geass
Endings - Equal (This is not including Lelouch's Resurrection)
Plot - Death Note

I'd have to rewatch both series to truly determine which one I really prefer. They're very similar in concept, but radically different in their execution of that concept.

Seem to be in the minority, but I prefer CG overall.
Which verse has a better MC?
Unpopular opinion but I like Lelouch much better. He’s more human and has a lot more weaknesses. He’s been through more crap as well. Light is one-dimensional. He’s so brilliant that it’s hard to believe. I also view Light as a legitimately bad person, overtly narcissistic and tripping on his ego.

Which verse has better Support/role Characters?
Mostly a wash but I favor CG.

Which verse has the best Power structure?
Power structure is only relevant in CG.

Which verse makes more sense?
DN definitely wins here. The verse in CG is contrived.
Which show has a better ending?
CG hands down. What’s very interesting is that Lelouch gets everything he wants, but he ultimately has to sacrifice himself to accomplish what he truly set out to.
Light is the smarter of the two so he’d likely be more successful in either verse. I think Lelouch would make for more interesting stories, however.
I'll quote myself from the CG thread.