Dolphins hacked Linus tech tips account

Zolo

Cope Doctor
How do you feel about that?
How do you protect your own account from hackers?

Im an idiot when it comes to tech, help me out there fellas

I am illiterate when it comes to PCs
Oh boy. So I guess first question would be what account? Different places for accounts would have different measures. For your forum account

Don't share your account with others, obvious.
Don't leave it logged in at places like school or libraries/always log out .
Don't use the same password here as other places, or if you do, at least have a throwaway password for junk places vs serious password for places you care about.
Don't use a dictionary word to avoid bruteforcers and dictionary attacks.
Don't make your password something related to you or your interests like 'zoroiscool1'.
Protect your email so they can't use password recovery.

Of course, if anyone ever breaches the website or server none of this matters. But that'd be on the site owner not you.

Check email here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Listen to this:

Do everything these people don't.

Zolo

Cope Doctor
Oh boy. So I guess first question would be what account? Different places for accounts would have different measures. For your forum account

Don't share your account with others, obvious.
Don't leave it logged in at places like school or libraries/always log out .
Don't use the same password here as other places, or if you do, at least have a throwaway password for junk places vs serious password for places you care about.
Don't use a dictionary word to avoid bruteforcers and dictionary attacks.
Don't make your password something related to you or your interests like 'zoroiscool1'.
Protect your email so they can't use password recovery.

Of course, if anyone ever breaches the website or server none of this matters. But that'd be on the site owner not you.

Check email here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Listen to this:

Do everything these people don't.
Linus tech tips seems to be like kind of guy that who would know such stuff. But I heard hes hack was related to cookies. Like it was not becouse weak password it was something alse

Linus tech tips seems to be like kind of guy that who would know such stuff. But I heard hes hack was related to cookies. Like it was not becouse weak password it was something alse
Given that YT has 2auth, the hacker would have had to login through the owners devices, have access, or MitM the code sent to the device. This leaves the weakness somewhere with the owner and something he did or didn't do.

If cookies, he probably clicked on something that grabbed them on his phone most likely to be able to intercept the code sent it to auth.

Of course that's all speculation without knowing more.

Zolo

Cope Doctor
Given that YT has 2auth, the hacker would have had to login through the owners devices, have access, or MitM the code sent to the device. This leaves the weakness somewhere with the owner and something he did or didn't do.

If cookies, he probably clicked on something that grabbed them on his phone most likely to be able to intercept the code sent it to auth.

Of course that's all speculation without knowing more.
Thats what scares me, how do I protect myself from cookies if a guy like LTT cant