General & Others EVERY Real Pirate Connected to ONE PIECE

Hey guys, been away for a while working on this - check it out!

I made a video listing off every single reference to a real world pirate present in One Piece (as many as I could find), and even went into a little detail on each of their histories.
I'm sure that plenty of you guys know some of these already, but it's nice to have it all in one place and to be honest there were some that I didn't even know about until I did the research for this list. I even found a couple that I'm pretty sure no one else has picked up on - online at least.

For example: After reading up on real pirates I'm 1000% sure that Madame Cheng, the most powerful pirate in history, is the direct inspiration behind Boa Hancock.

Madame Cheng is from China, and Amazon Lily clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Chinese architecture.

Boa is called the "Pirate Empress", while Cheng was called the "Pirate Queen". Not only that, but Cheng had rules for her raids prohibiting the men on her crew from sexually abusing/harming women - and would kill any man who broke those rules. Seems very in line with the mentality of the Kuja Princess.

But that's just one example. I go into detail on all the various important characters of One Piece that have a parallel in the real world.

It's long, but give it a watch! A lot of research went into this one, and I'm sure there'll be something in there you didn't know. If anything it just serves to illuminate how much Oda loves history and how much research he does before he writes his story. He takes a lot of inspiration from the romanticism of our very real world, and that's probably why his story likewise feels so lived-in and real.

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO

If there are any I missed, let me know! Hope you guys enjoy :catsweat:

Much love,
Hidden

Last edited: