Powers & Abilities Great Pirates having no Devil Fruits require a bit of a logic leap

I love the powers in One Piece, and I think it's great that many characters are "naturally" so strong to fight against Devil Fruit users and beating them.

But at the same time, we see canonically strong characters such as Sanji, Shanks, Garp, Gol D. Roger (Speculation), all the swordsmen that have no "reason" not to eat a devil fruit. Take Shanks, I have been waiting since volume 1 to understand a reason why he wouldn't eat the Gom Gom himself (Which will probably be explained based on Who's Who) but won't explain why he wouldn't eat another.
This all sparked from a comment in a thread where we are told that both Shanks and Roger are able to fight with WB without a fruit, but this "undermines" all users, because think then how strong Shanks would be with the Gura Gura, or a Garp in his prime. I understand that it is a shonen and they are cool because they don't "need" a fruit, but that is why I say there is a "small" logic leap.

I’d say losing the ability to swim is a huge reason for people like Shanks to not eat a DF. It is a huge handicap being a seafarer who can’t swim, and the ability is even more useful as a solo traveler.

Shanks can’t swim? Luffy dies chapter 1.

Rayleigh can’t swim? He never makes it to Amazon Lily and perishes in the Calm Belt. There’s no crew to bail the likes of Rayleigh and Mihawk out, and unlike Aokiji, they can’t walk on water. That’s a damn good reason to not eat a DF, particularly given that actually using a DF to its full potential doesn’t come naturally for most people.

I’d say losing the ability to swim is a huge reason for people like Shanks to not eat a DF. It is a huge handicap being a seafarer who can’t swim, and the ability is even more useful as a solo traveler.

Shanks can’t swim? Luffy dies chapter 1.

Rayleigh can’t swim? He never makes it to Amazon Lily and perishes in the Calm Belt. There’s no crew to bail the likes of Rayleigh and Mihawk out, and unlike Aokiji, they can’t walk on water. That’s a damn good reason to not eat a DF, particularly given that actually using a DF to its full potential doesn’t come naturally for most people.
You can always fly with moon walk to avoid water but ig u aint wrong thats a good point.

I love the powers in One Piece, and I think it's great that many characters are "naturally" so strong to fight against Devil Fruit users and beating them.

But at the same time, we see canonically strong characters such as Sanji, Shanks, Garp, Gol D. Roger (Speculation), all the swordsmen that have no "reason" not to eat a devil fruit. Take Shanks, I have been waiting since volume 1 to understand a reason why he wouldn't eat the Gom Gom himself (Which will probably be explained based on Who's Who) but won't explain why he wouldn't eat another.
This all sparked from a comment in a thread where we are told that both Shanks and Roger are able to fight with WB without a fruit, but this "undermines" all users, because think then how strong Shanks would be with the Gura Gura, or a Garp in his prime. I understand that it is a shonen and they are cool because they don't "need" a fruit, but that is why I say there is a "small" logic leap.
Not necessarily imo, i think not having a fruit allows Shanks, Garp, Mihawk etc to focus on their specialty even more compared to the scenario of them having DFs, which will divide their efforts.

Its probably similar to how a lot of high or top tier devil fruit users dont use meito. Something that can definitely up your power. Haki is a universal power and isnt just special to people that dont use devil fruit when devil fruit users also need it to fight other devil fruit user

• Whitebeard so far is the only person we know that one of the strongest paramecia devil and meito and he was known as the worlds strongest man and rogers rival.
  • Roger we know he also had a supreme grade but we dont know much else about his fighting style
  • Shiki had 2 meito but we dont know the grade and an extremely strong paramecia
  • Kaido has one of the strongest devil fruit but no meito because he fights with a club 🗿. Hes also an oni which likely adds to his strength
  • Linlin was built different since birth has an extremely strong paramecia no meito but a hat sword with her soul in it
  • Shanks has a sword but no meito, no devil fruit, and no right arm
All that being said garp >>>>>> every weapon and devil fruit user
Mans really beating bitches up raw 🐐

H

Herrera95

I agree. Thing is DF were powerful at beginning of the series but since the introduction of Haki they become less and less relevant.

Although DF power are still relevant they are not leading any battle. Haki is the ultimate reason for someone to succeed or fail in a battle.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Its probably similar to how a lot of high or top tier devil fruit users dont use meito. Something that can definitely up your power. Haki is a universal power and isnt just special to people that dont use devil fruit when devil fruit users also need it to fight other devil fruit user

• Whitebeard so far is the only person we know that one of the strongest paramecia devil and meito and he was known as the worlds strongest man and rogers rival.
  • Roger we know he also had a supreme grade but we dont know much else about his fighting style
  • Shiki had 2 meito but we dont know the grade and an extremely strong paramecia
  • Kaido has one of the strongest devil fruit but no meito because he fights with a club 🗿. Hes also an oni which likely adds to his strength
  • Linlin was built different since birth has an extremely strong paramecia no meito but a hat sword with her soul in it
  • Shanks has a sword but no meito, no devil fruit, and no right arm
All that being said garp >>>>>> every weapon and devil fruit user
Mans really beating bitches up raw 🐐
Imagine thinking shanks sword isn't a meito.

DFs, swordsmanship, haki, physical attributes are all just different tools at the end of the day. Characters don’t have the time/effort to maximize everything and trade-off happens. Time spent honing your DF may mean less time/effort to train your haki for example. Even top-tier DF requires practice/natural aptitude to master, not all logia users are on the same level for example.

Obviously someone like Whitebeard is at the top or near the top for every skill he has, but assuming Roger is just a swordsman/“hakiman” (and so far thats all he seems to be) his haki/physical attributes/swordsman skills should logically be above Whitebeard in order to offset Whitebeards top-tier DF. Whose to say if Whitebeard didn’t have his DF, he wouldn’t be able to raise his haki/other skills to the same degree?

DFs, swordsmanship, haki, physical attributes are all just different tools at the end of the day. Characters don’t have the time/effort to maximize everything and trade-off happens. Time spent honing your DF may mean less time/effort to train your haki for example. Even top-tier DF requires practice/natural aptitude to master, not all logia users are on the same level for example.

Obviously someone like Whitebeard is at the top or near the top for every skill he has, but assuming Roger is just a swordsman/“hakiman” (and so far thats all he seems to be) his haki/physical attributes/swordsman skills should logically be above Whitebeard in order to offset Whitebeards top-tier DF. Whose to say if Whitebeard didn’t have his DF, he wouldn’t be able to raise his haki/other skills to the same degree?
WB and Roger haki exchange seems to be an equivalent exchange. Can't also see how freakin WB would lose in a physical attribute match up against Roger given he is the most manly man to ever live. Logically they shouldn't be equal, WB should be miles ahead to the df add on. Oda though wants them to be viewed as equal hence they are.

WB and Roger haki exchange seems to be an equivalent exchange. Can't also see how freakin WB would lose in a physical attribute match up against Roger given he is the most manly man to ever live. Logically they shouldn't be equal, WB should be miles ahead to the df add on. Oda though wants them to be viewed as equal hence they are.
I saw that as more of an initial clash and an illustration of their overall equivalence, not necessarily an indication that their haki is equal. I mean logically, the only way Oda can make Roger to be Whitebeard’s equal is if he has something to offset Whitebeard’s DF, I am speculating its superior haki but we will see how that turns out (otherwise like you said it requires some leaps in logic)

One Piece is a series about ''will power'' which is called Haki.
Haki is literally everything, I can't remember how many times I said this but here we go;
Character A has 20DFs, 12 swords, a tank, a nuclear missile and 124 arms and legs but average haki VS Character B who has no DF, No arms, no legs and is blind but very strong haki.
Character B low diffs Character A.

It is that simple.

Imagine thinking shanks sword isn't a meito.
Not all swords are meitos and until one is confirmed as one no point is assuming and trying to guess if one is or isn't
If its called a meito its a meito but until then its not
Post automatically merged:

Come to think of it, Garp as the only top tier who use nothing but his barehand is insane.
🐐🐐🐐

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Not all swords are meitos and until one is confirmed as one no point is assuming and trying to guess if one is or isn't
If its called a meito its a meito but until then its not
Post automatically merged:

🐐🐐🐐
Forget meito anyone who doesn't think it's a Supreme Grade has no brain