Is Higurashi Gou A Prequel To Umineko When They Cry>

Who is at fault for Satako spiral into madness?

• Rika

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Featherine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We just got some MAJOR revelations in episode 20 of Gou, with the grand reveal of Featherine from umineko when they cry. However, before we analyze the strange mixture of higurashi and Umineko, we need to dive back into the beginning to analyze this arc layer by layer. Starting all the way back in episode 2; Hanyuu reveals that her powers have become limited. Then jumping to episode 14, she straight up abandons Rika. And with the reveal of featherine, I can conclude that featherine was hindering Hanyuu’s impact the entire time. Because If you watched the original Higurashi, you know Hanyuu played a MASSIVE part assisting Rika throughout the death loops. It makes perfect since to remove Rika’s strongest ally from the picture.

However, that opens more questions than answers. Did the original Hanyuu transform into featherine before Gou started? Why would she have beef with Rika, her beloved friend? I’m not a Umineko reader, but if you are, I ask you let me know in the comments the history of featheirne and hanyuu. Nevertheless, jumping back to episode 7; we first witness the shrines head already being broken; with the sword missing. And now we know it was satako who broke the shrine, and she most likely gained most of the sword's power from featherine. Because remember Rika still has small part of it, so I theorize this will be key in defeating satako and featherine.
Now we finally unmasked the mastermind behind these crimes, but now we must analyze what caused Satako to slip into madness. Out of all the club members, Satako and Rika has always had the strongest bond. So, when Rika began to slip away, Satako was hit with reality. See Satako is obsessed with rika; I find strange because there were no hints of obsessiveness in the original. She is latching onto a foolish pledge made when they were a child; “we will always be together”. It’s very common for children to make grandiose promises like that, only for it to be shattered once adulthood comes. And it seems like Satako is struggling to cope with the fact that her beloved friend is thriving without her.

Unfortunately, the only one to blame in this situation is Satako. Satako refused to attempt to have a conversation with rika. Hell, Rika even tried to help her friend out on multiple occasions, but was denied by Satako every time. On one hand Satako claims she doesn't want to interfere with Rika’s life, but is still stalking her wondering when Rika will “wake back up into reality”. This reality Satako wants is only for herself. She doesn’t try to put herself in Rikas shoes nor drop her humongous ego, and it doesn’t help that her predicament in school is hellish; like what the fuck is an underground prison Falicity doing in a high school? The FBI needs to come shut this shit down lol.
Nevertheless, Satakos mentality has been quickly crumbling day by day, and it seems like the hinawaza virus is remerging. And it seems like feather has been seemingly calling Satako back to hinawza this entire time. First the cicadas coincidently on the tree where satako is going insane. Then the strange shift in time above the school, and finally mion bringing the girls back to hinawza. All of these layers are line up too nicely to just brush off as meaningless.

This was all part of featherines elaborate plan, and Satako witnessing the gradual shift in hinawza, as her precious memories are tearing down was the final straw that broke the camel's back. The one last figure surviving the past is oyashiros shrine. Now this could be seen as a sign of relief that not everything has changed, but in reality, it’s the key to setting off a very sinister curse Apon the hinawza village.

Remember in episode 16 when Satako states that oyashiro is angry that people are leaving hinawaza; with Rika being pinned as the culprit of this affair. It all makes since now; featherine didn’t want Rika break to endless chain of suffering for her amusement. And satakos obsession with reliving the happy memories of the past is what birthed Gou’s existence. This could also potentially mean that lambdadelta might appear later on, but that’s a whole another discussion.

Follow @Sunbro321 (@sunbro321) / Twitter for updates and more anime/manga content!