Questions & Mysteries Is Steel Ball run actually bad?

I read steel ball run twice and quite enjoyed it both times.

Then I looked up the common opinions on it and of course they are mostly positive but the negative opinions are what caught my interest.

The negative opinions seem to just be the positive ones but from another perspective. For example.

A lot of people say Steel ball run is an "Epic" in the sense of scale from the story to characters and themes. The negative opinion I see is that it's "Epic in a forced way". The story is ham-fistedly epic and the characters are grander than they actually are and the themes are too broad and poorly defined.

I for one am sort in the middle. I think this is a classic case of an Anti-climax. An intentional Anti-climax. Somewhere along the way, Araki decided to have the moral of the story be "shit happens". And I think that's fine. For example.

The race stops mattering to any of the contestants. The actual act of winning and the prize and everything stops mattering. And this is consistent to the end that no one particularly cares. So the "Epic" race suddenly feels "forced to be epic" considering the outcome.

Even the characters are like this. Diego is presented with strong motivations informing his cynical view of the world. And before the final show down, his vendetta against his father is even brought back in his deal with Hot Pants. But then at the actual last second we get internal monologue from him showing he doesn't actually care. He's seemingly reduced back to almost Dio part 1 philosophy of superiority over humans or whatever. This seeming "change" happens between just two chapters. Like there's no way Araki did not do this intentionally in my mind. He must have known that he's removing a lot of complexity from Diego and once again we see an "epic" character sort of seem very forced seeing as his complexity vanishes suddenly at the end.

This goes for almost every character and plotline and theme. They all seem way grander than they are culminating in an Anti-climax.

Even the final show down of this "Epic" gets reduced to the main villain begging for his life. And to top it all off, his begging was him saying he's a good guy, yet he's not even that. He was lying. Not only is the main villain begging for his life, he's literally lying while doing it. This has to be intentional. Araki makes sure to give Valentine these great speeches and compelling back story and then show he's lying and opportunistic as any person at the very end. His nobility is a sham and his "Epicness" is anti-climactly forced.

At the end the person who wins is Lucy. A character who only gets things done by being saved by people who end up dying mindlessly for her. And her main advantage over the villains is a completely passive attribute. She's hot. Both Valentine and Diego fall prey to her because she happened to be born hot and they are horny men. Even her back story shows Steel specifically taking interest in her because a Toddler said "hi" to him. When she could barely understand human emotion, her passive child brain said hi to a stranger and that essentially saved her life. How can this not be intentionally anti-climactic. The big villains after meticulous planning and having universe altering powers fall to their libido for a minor.

I don't want to say everyone else who likes or dislikes the story is wrong for doing so. I mean it seems more of a matter of perspective. But this is sort if what I got out if it. The people who say SBR is "epic" seem to be ignoring how it actually ends and the people who say it's forced seem to ignore the possibility that it's intentionally Anti-climactic.

Really though, just the fate of Marco should've driven the point of this story home IMO. Shit happens, sort of like fate I guess.

Akai2

🆉🅾🆁🅾 🆃🅾🅾 🆂🆃🆁🅾🅽🅺!
I read steel ball run twice and quite enjoyed it both times.
Literally the only thing that matters when you're reading a manga. So for you, the answer is no.

Vast majority of "analysis", most prominently, in English speaking communities is shallow unintelligent drivel that's presented as intellectual musings by frustrated internet wannabe philosophers. That's on the positive and negative side of the spectrum.

So just like u said it's subjective. I loved SBR pretty much from the first chapter till the end. Even if a majority of it (and a majority of manga that attempt philosophical writing in general) read like some of the philosophy papers I used to enjoy failing when I was teaching lol

Who said this? Steel Ball Run is amazing from the very beginning to the end, except maybe the last 6/7 chapters with the last fight.
Even though the fight is good nevertheless, if we take it alone

Huh? Sbr is the best part and the majority of jojo’s fans agree

part7
Part4
Part5

big gap

part2

huge gap

part6
Part3
Part1
Who said this? Steel Ball Run is amazing from the very beginning to the end, except maybe the last 6/7 chapters with the last fight.
Even though the fight is good nevertheless, if we take it alone
Is it though? For me it's the best JoJo by far.
Its probably one of the best parts. Doesnt stop it from being bad for specific reasons in some people's perspective

The post is about the perspective of people who find it good and those who find it bad.

And yes, the people who find it bad also have a point

H

Haoshoku

Hard to argue that. To me it’s got the best cast of characters in the entire Jojo Franchise, only ones that even come remotely close are Part 5’s cast and Part 3’s, the rest don’t really compare. Between Gyro the best “Jobro” easily, tho that would be an understatement in of itself since he was more than that, Diego Brando (the much better spin on Dio to put it short with the best flashback I’ve read in Jojo) and Funny Valentine (best villain not named Kira).

The only thing I felt could have made SBR even better was if how from that great cast, these characters had their potential realized: Sandman and Pocoloco, who basically did nothing. Tbf Sandman did play a bigger role in the first half (all part the race tho), but man did that all come crashing down once he allied with Funny Valentine and co. I felt like his initial goal of trying to get his tribe to prosper could have been better written out instead of just hastily concluding his story like that. Man just threw in the towel with no guaranteed compromise in sight. And with Pocoloco, was the plan for him to be seen racing, lucking out and getting a panel shot once and a while? Surely there was more than that because that’s all we got with him. Tho Sandman was the bigger disappointment since he had more going for him, dude was looking like the protagonist in the first few chaps. Tho with everything else being great, you gotta be picky to even start arguing that Part 7 was bad by any means.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I’m am at chapter 45 and for now I have mixed feelings about Part 7

Not bad at all but nothing amazing either

Johnny is not that great for me. Gyro is here to HARD carry the show. The guy is a lot more entertaining than Jojo

The race doesn’t matter anymore at that point, I fucking loved the first race but after the second one, the order, the points etc ceased to matter quite fast. Chasing the different parts of the corpse became more important.

The villains and fight thus far aren’t that great. Blackmore had potential but shit the bed. Sandman was completely a let down. The guy had great potential to finish by becoming the 20th president henchmen etc. Most enemy stands are average.

the best fight and the only good fight for now was Ringo.

Dio is fun.

Jojo powers are a bit funky/weird. I’m not much into it.

Gyro spinning ball are cool.

Im halfway through the story for now and I think I give it a 6/10. Hope the second part live up to the hype

@NikaInParis @ImmaIvanoM @Mathias @Enma @style @Hanzo hattori @Jorden625 @Don DaSlayer @Jaguark101 @Chiji_ @Bounty

I’m am at chapter 45 and for now I have mixed feelings about Part 7

Not bad at all but nothing amazing either

Johnny is not that great for me. Gyro is here to HARD carry the show. The guy is a lot more entertaining than Jojo

The race doesn’t matter anymore at that point, I fucking loved the first race but after the second one, the order, the points etc ceased to matter quite fast. Chasing the different parts of the corpse became more important.

The villains and fight thus far aren’t that great. Blackmore had potential but shit the bed. Sandman was completely a let down. The guy had great potential to finish by becoming the 20th president henchmen etc. Most enemy stands are average.

the best fight and the only good fight for now was Ringo.

Dio is fun.

Jojo powers are a bit funky/weird. I’m not much into it.

Gyro spinning ball are cool.

Im halfway through the story for now and I think I give it a 6/10. Hope the second part live up to the hype

@NikaInParis @ImmaIvanoM @Mathias @Enma @style @Hanzo hattori @Jorden625 @Don DaSlayer @Jaguark101 @Chiji_ @Bounty
I think the second half will be more to your liking

Actually SBR is almost everytime in the top3 on almost all the rankings I read on Reddit

I don't know how you came up with this thing that SBR is generally underrated.

Personally speaking SBR is my favourite part, I loved the setting, I loved that Araki focused on other powers and not only stands.

Steel Ball Run is my favorite part. Most of that come down to Gyro & Johnny’s friendship. Johnny (at least initially) may not be that interesting, but by the end he’s pretty cool. Diego is awesome. I love Scary Monsters (terrible name) as a stand, Dinosaur Dio. Funny Valentine is also a great villain. If you’ve been underwhelmed by the villains so far, he will be the one to turn you around.