Character Discussion Luffy, Nika, and the Japanese legend of how the first drum was created.

i see a lot of people associating luffy and nika with hanuman, and although i definitely think there is a connection (mainly the ability to change size and the monkey motif), i dont believe it was oda's main inspiration.

i believe his main inspiration was the japanese legend of how the first drum was created.

in japanese mythology there is a god called sarutahiko okami, a sun deity associated with monkeys, his wife, ame-no-uzume-no-mikoto, is the goddess of joy and dawn. when amaterasu, the main sun deity, hid in a cave out of sadness, the world was trapped in an eternal night. ame no uzume created and played the first drum by dancing on top of a empty sake barrel and amaterasu, curious about the music, came out of the cave, making the sun light return to the world.

i believe they were the main inspiration for luffy and nika. a sun deity with a monkey motif, his wife, the goddess of dawn and joy, and the creation of the first drum that ends the night, amaterasu's sadness, and brings the dawn, happiness, joy.

Last edited: