Episode Discussion Now Then….1062 Vs 1072 Which is the better Episode?

Who’s HIM

• Total voters

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
1072 is the better production, has highs that match the best from 1062, but never dips as low as 1062.

1062's final few minutes are pretty much just as good as anything from 1072 but it took about half the episode to get to the S tier stuff. The first half of 1062 is almost comically bad in comparison, hard to tell what's even going on in the screen, the animation a bit choppy at times, the art abysmal, the moves don't look anything like they're supposed to in a bad way.

Having said all that, I still prefer 1062 simply cause it's hard to take G5 seriously, the tone in ZvK feels far more like the final boss fight than Luffy vs Kaidou. I legit felt like I was watching two of the strongest characters on the island trying to brutalize one another, and the voice acting from King, Zoro OST is too OP. The troll osts playing in the back as Luffy patronizes Kaidou doesn't do it for me.

I like both a lot.

For me, they're very similar levels production wise.

I think that 1072 definitely has more consistent animation highlights, and although sporadic, the consistency of Masami Mori's animation and animation direction were always excellent. I do think that 1062's finale is very difficult to top though, because holy shit that was the biggest spectacle in the whole series.

I think if 1062 does have one major advantage over 1062, is that it does feel like a more coherent package directorially. Although there were two storyboard artists and notable animation supervisors in that episode, there is still a remarkable visual and storytelling consistency throughout both halves.

While 1072 still comes together very well, it can't be denied that the episode having 5 different storyboard artists of varying(though I'd argue at least consistently high) levels of skills and experience results in an enjoyable episode, but one that ultimately feels like it doesn't have as strong of single emotional narrative. This isn't to say its like 1066 messy or anything like that, its just that I didn't feel like the director had a particularly strong voice despite working with some truly excellent storyboards.