One Piece Episode 1010 - Eliminate the Ice Oni - Chopper's Fire Trick!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • 4/5

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • 3/5

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 2/5

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 0/5

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
genuelly asking, what the fuck is happening with the anime? do they finally making one piece seasonal?
No. Toei was hacked, which fucked up the production pipeline for all their shows, which are currently all on hiatus. The hack slowed down the production pipeline, but I don't believe anything was lost.

No. Toei was hacked, which fucked up the production pipeline for all their shows, which are currently all on hiatus. The hack slowed down the production pipeline, but I don't believe anything was lost.
i see. but it better be lost, then make it seasonal, so the quality could be much better lmao

Being seasonal would not improve the quality if it still occurred yearly. Just look at MHA.
love you Jazz, but i don't think that's a good comparison tbh.
MHA has gotten worse and worse because animators realized that under nagasaki their work gets compromised and any semblance of creativity gets yeeted out the window. The show is lacking ambition under him, Animators have to take countless retakes. It's simply frustrating to work on such a franchise as an artist. That's why most Movie Animators don't return to the TV Anime. They stay on the movie. More liberties, better schedule, better pay. For some reason only Nakamura's cut get done justice in the TV Anime. But then again, for S5 he just did 1 Scene.

As for One Piece, I don't think the schedule or animation quality would be improved with a seasonal, yearly schedule.
But one thing that would 100% be better would be the pacing. Which is noticeably bad in ~90% of all episodes. So simply for that reason alone, I would wish "in a dreamworld" that One Piece would be seasonal, if the current circumstances would remain the same with the same staff. But I'm aware of the reasons as well as to why this isn't possible. Still urks me though that some people simply say nothing would change or OP would be worse if it'd be seasonal.

Zolo

Cope Doctor
love you Jazz, but i don't think that's a good comparison tbh.
MHA has gotten worse and worse because animators realized that under nagasaki their work gets compromised and any semblance of creativity gets yeeted out the window. The show is lacking ambition under him, Animators have to take countless retakes. It's simply frustrating to work on such a franchise as an artist. That's why most Movie Animators don't return to the TV Anime. They stay on the movie. More liberties, better schedule, better pay. For some reason only Nakamura's cut get done justice in the TV Anime. But then again, for S5 he just did 1 Scene.

As for One Piece, I don't think the schedule or animation quality would be improved with a seasonal, yearly schedule.
But one thing that would 100% be better would be the pacing. Which is noticeably bad in ~90% of all episodes. So simply for that reason alone, I would wish "in a dreamworld" that One Piece would be seasonal, if the current circumstances would remain the same with the same staff. But I'm aware of the reasons as well as to why this isn't possible. Still urks me though that some people simply say nothing would change or OP would be worse if it'd be seasonal.
its bad in 100% episodes currently

its bad in 100% episodes currently
A good & creative director can handle an episode in such a way that you're not feeling pacing issues.

Imo there are 4 that excell at handling pacing extremely well. Based on what I've seen.

- Megumi Ishitani: Arguably the best Director at Toei and one of the best in the industry, for how young she is.
- Yasunori Koyama: Consistently well paced and creative episodes. Has had 1 miss recently with Episode 984, but otherwise his episodes have been among the best in Wano. (994,1004,971...) Usually he specializes in emotional episodes, which is personally scaring me seeing him handling 1016 an action focused episode. For 1004 which was an action spectacle, Ishizuka boarded a good portion in the end and you could notice a clear shift in boards if you paid attention.
- Ryousuke Tanaka. Only had 1 Solo Episode so far (1006) but helped on 972 (Oden vs Kaido) as well substentially. His debut as Solo Director was amazing and he is also a young talent. He seems to be receiving the "Ishitani Treatment" in the sense that he gets an extended schedule for his episodes ~5-6 months. At least that's how it was for his work on 1006 which was very well paced for the comparably unimportant content it covered. It remains to be seen if this is something he can do consistently. But I'm sure - if his future episodes receive a prolonged schedule as well - that will be the case.
- Ryota Nakamura. He was in charge of the most recent episode 1013 and it is among my Top 5 in Wano for sure. There was a single scene in the episode (Yamato destroying the statue) that was sadly, painfully dragged out. It would've been a perfect episode if not for that. But I'll still keep him in here because it was his first work on One Piece in a long time and he knocked it out of the park. Not sure if we will see him on future episodes but... that'd be amazing. He's originally from Dragon ball and was series director with Nagamine if i remember correctly, so he's a veteran and the "teacher"/ sensei of ishitani from what i've heard. (Which is reflected in the use of lenseflares in the episode).

Then there is one more I have in mind that can put out extremely well paced episodes from time to time.

-Kohei Kureta: His episodes 978 & 989 were ones i loved. They felt just right. On the other hand his work on 1010 was noticeably not up to his usual standards, but he was aware of that and mentioned it on twitter as well (that this was less of a priority since he has big stuff coming up). He specializes in Action episodes mainly. Would be a damn shame and waste of talent if he doesn't get a Rooftop episode assigned.

Last but not least...
- Aya Komaki: I'm not extremely familiar with her work, since I've only really paid attention post Episode 962ish, but I've recently went and revisited Episode 894 of her since she constantly gets praised and it's in my top 10 of wano as well. Superbly paced and the atmosphere was so perfectly set. I need to watch more of her works to get a better sense of it, but either way she is currently MIA. Probably on the movie or something and hasn't directed an Episode since 960. Hopefully she will return to the TV Anime after the Movie since she used to direct very frequently.

Everyone other Director I haven't listed simply can not handle pacing well in my experience.
Some can put out great visuals or artistic flares that may surpass the likes of the ones mentioned above (like Nagamine for example) but they can not handle pacing well or consistently well.

In conclusion: from the Directors I mentioned:

Ishitani: only directs 1 episode every 6-8 months
Tanaka: maybe the same as Ishitani. Idk if they would cut his schedule short. I hope not. I also hope this guy gets actual important episodes assigned because 1006 was fantastic and the best episode this year together with 1013 imo. He deserves good content.
Koyama: the only director that is a regular on the series and directs an episode every: ~9-12 episodes
Nakamura: Only 1 Episode so far in Wano. We don't know if he will return to work on the TV Anime either.
Kureta: Also a regular, similar to Koyama. But hit & miss in pacing
Aya Komaki: Can't comment much but the 1 episode I've seen was amazingly paced. Should watch the others.

That's the reason i said 90%.
Post automatically merged:

A good & creative director can handle an episode in such a way that you're not feeling pacing issues.

Imo there are 4 that excell at handling pacing extremely well. Based on what I've seen.

- Megumi Ishitani: Arguably the best Director at Toei and one of the best in the industry, for how young she is.
- Yasunori Koyama: Consistently well paced and creative episodes. Has had 1 miss recently with Episode 984, but otherwise his episodes have been among the best in Wano. (994,1004,971...) Usually he specializes in emotional episodes, which is personally scaring me seeing him handling 1016 an action focused episode. For 1004 which was an action spectacle, Ishizuka boarded a good portion in the end and you could notice a clear shift in boards if you paid attention.
- Ryousuke Tanaka. Only had 1 Solo Episode so far (1006) but helped on 972 (Oden vs Kaido) as well substentially. His debut as Solo Director was amazing and he is also a young talent. He seems to be receiving the "Ishitani Treatment" in the sense that he gets an extended schedule for his episodes ~5-6 months. At least that's how it was for his work on 1006 which was very well paced for the comparably unimportant content it covered. It remains to be seen if this is something he can do consistently. But I'm sure - if his future episodes receive a prolonged schedule as well - that will be the case.
- Ryota Nakamura. He was in charge of the most recent episode 1013 and it is among by Top 5 favorites in Wano for sure. There was a single scene in the episode (Yamato destroying the statue) that was sadly, painfully dragged out. It would've been a perfect episode if not for that. But I'll still keep him in here because it was his first work on One Piece in a long time and he knocked it out of the park. Not sure if we will see him on future episodes but... that'd be amazing. He's originally from Dragon ball and was series director with Nagamine on Super if i remember correctly. He's a veteran and the "teacher"/ sensei of ishitani from what i've heard. (Which is reflected in the use of lenseflares in the episode).

Then there is one more I have in mind that can put out extremely well paced episodes from time to time.

-Kohei Kureta: His episodes 978 & 989 were ones i loved. They felt just right. On the other hand his work on 1010 was noticeably not up to his usual standards, but he was aware of that and mentioned it on twitter as well (that this was less of a priority since he has big stuff coming up). He specializes in Action episodes mainly. Would be a damn shame and waste of talent if he doesn't get a Rooftop episode assigned.

Last but not least...
- Aya Komaki: I'm not extremely familiar with her work, since I've only really paid attention post Episode 962ish, but I've recently went and revisited Episode 894 of her since she constantly gets praised and it's in my top 10 of wano as well. Superbly paced and the atmosphere was so perfectly set. I need to watch more of her works to get a better sense of it, but either way she is currently MIA. Probably on the movie or something and hasn't directed an Episode since 960. Hopefully she will return to the TV Anime after the Movie since she used to direct very frequently.

Everyone other Director I haven't listed simply can not handle pacing well in my experience.
Some can put out great visuals or artistic flares that may surpass the likes of the ones mentioned above (like Nagamine for example) but they can not handle pacing well or consistently well.

In conclusion: from the Directors I mentioned:

Ishitani: only directs 1 episode every 6-8 months
Tanaka: maybe the same as Ishitani. Idk if they would cut his schedule short. I hope not. I also hope this guy gets actual important episodes assigned because 1006 was fantastic and the best episode this year together with 1013 imo. He deserves good content.
Koyama: the only director that is a regular on the series and directs an episode every: ~9-12 episodes
Nakamura: Only 1 Episode so far in Wano. We don't know if he will return to work on the TV Anime either.
Kureta: Also a regular, similar to Koyama. But hit & miss in pacing
Aya Komaki: Can't comment much but the 1 episode I've seen was amazingly paced. Should watch the others.

That's the reason i said 90%.
Maybe @JazzMazz can share his opinion. Or bring forth a name i forgot to mention or didn't think about, but i spend the past week rewatching the work of a good few other Directors whom I've heard were supposed to be considered good, but weren't in the end.

Last edited:
the last 10 episodes were pitiful, that Sanji vs King was completely horrible... it's better to take a break and rethink everything you're doing.
What are you on about? Sanji vs King was amazing in Episode 998. I don't think the episode in it's entirety was great, but that fight was. Tu did a crazy good job. And it even featured 3D surroundings and cool camerawork during the chase scene. Like... you don't get this in 95% of seasonal anime.