Character Discussion Perceiving a Character: Gold Roger, Before & After Thought

Before I start the topic, I wanna point out few things for clarifying sake. First, a lot of us got into ONE PIECE through anime medium before the manga. A lot of us are up to date with the manga. Some of us still watch the anime though, some dropped the anime after some arc. Second, it seems some scenes in the anime I wanna call them "filler-canon". Something as an add-on to the original source, the manga in anime. Now let's begin the topic.

BEFORE:
When I started ONE PIECE in anime before manga, firs time I saw Gold Roger in Smoker's flashback (and previously in some scene when Coby talked about him in episode 3 or 4 I guess), he was surrounded by an aura of enigma. The curiosity to learn about Gold Roger got me good. I enjoyed the mysteriousness of a character.

SOME REVELATION:
We then learn some bits of Roger by Rayleigh who used to be Roger's right-arm, his vice-captain.

AFTER:
The more and more we learn about Roger later in episodes beyond 500, the more of that image of mysteriousness of a character fades. Oda makes us perceive Roger later as a goofy, happy, lucky-go character. Much like Luffy. Despite the fact we see some of Roger in Luffy. Even some of us during early times of ONE PIECE theorized that Roger and Luffy are blood related, but not or so it seems. You never know. Oda might make something out of the box about Roger and Luffy later.

At first both Gol D Roger(why the hell are you saying Gold Roger?) and King of Pirates title seemed to be great and relevant. Gol D Roger looked like a man that accomplished everything he wanted in life, he had no more goals. At least for me I always thought he deliver himself to Marine, never thought he got captured. I guess was pretty obvious that giving take we would have a Marine Hero or Squad Hero that captured the King of Pirates and we never had a mention about that. Even Garp Hero the Marine was never told to be the one that captured Roger.

After Oden's flashback Roger character dropped a lot for me and even more King of Pirates title. First of all King of Pirates is an empty title, no strength related. Roger just travelled through all islands of the world. Also Roger wasn't that person who accomplished everything, he was born to early to change the world and got sick. Also he wanted his son to find One Piece and we already know Ace failed, not that Ace ever wanted that in first place. Oda try to make Roger look like a good and cool guy but his actions are not exactly like that. Roger was pretty selfish by making Portgas D Rogue pregnant and Ace suffered from this too. Roger was one of the worst husbands and fathers of One Piece.
But I liked how Oda asked to both Whitebeard and Oden to have Oden on his crew for a period.
Also liked how One Piece was treated. Roger never had One Piece before the news. And we don't know if Roger ever went back to Laugh Tale. So I'm betting One Piece is not at Laugh Tale. Also would be too obvious to be in that island.

But anyway, talking about King of Pirates title again I bet whoever reach Laugh Tale will be automatically giving that title no matter if the treasure is there or not. So again, a title that is not related to strength since you don't have to be strong to go to that island. "Oh but Red Poneglyphs are at Yonko territory" Brook got a copy from it without fighting, he just couldn't escape. But Roger did similar thing. In fact Roger is not fighting in all his journey for 3 Red Poneglyphs, we don't know where the last one is.