Theory Prince Grus is a special logia, like Blackbeard

Prince Grus has a fruit that allows him to produce Clay

Clay is a natural element and hence by all means, this power should be a logia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay

Yet Grus hasn't shown intangibility and when we see him later in hachinosu, it even seems like he's been damaged by fodder. So what's the deal?

I feel like it makes the most sense for Grus to be a logia. He was portrayed as Koby's rival during the hachinosu incident and I fail to see how a paramecia would ever be able to keep up with Koby going forward.

Still, why haven't we seen Grus's intangibility? I think its possible that he could be a special logia like Teach

With Teach, we know that not all logias have intangibility. Due to the nature of Teach's element, he doesn't have intangibility despite being darkness.

I believe Grus is similar. Clay is soft and can be molded, but only when it is wet. Once clay dried out, it becomes hard. This is why Grus cannot become intangible. His body is made of a dry and hard clay. Hence it doesn't have the same intangibility properties as other logia. However, in exchange I think his DF probably boosts his durability.

Anyways, while the classification of his DF might be trivial at the moment, I think it will be very relevant later on when he inevitably awakens. Because Grus won't get your average run of the mill doflamingo paramecia awakening. He'll get a far more powerful and destructive logia awakening. This will make him one of the strongest VAs, if not an outright admiral.

I think Grus is actually a Paramecia.

Remember that Magellan was a Paramecia despite the fact that a poison man should have been a Logia if we go by elemental logic.

Clay is a natural element and hence by all means, this power should be a logia.
No, what defines a logia power is that the element is natural, the user can produce it and turn into it. Many users who aren't Logia have powers related to elements from nature, such as Jozu, Magellan, Luffy, Pica and... Trébol, I suppose? Whatever his mocus is.

I don't think Oda sees Grus much different from Trébol, Magellan or Galdino. Could be a Special Logia and break the rules I mentioned? I guess, but I find it unlikely.

I don't actually view the Chill-Chill (Ice Fruit) as an Ice Elemental ability fruit.

I view it as the ability to change the state of matter where water is considered solid from liquid. It's a chilling effect. Science.

A chill is a thing.