Manga Discussion [Recommendation] Hero Killer

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
There are currently 113 free English chapters translated on Webtoon. The (paid) Fast Pass goes up to 118 and the Raws (as at the time of writing this) go up to 125. The series updates weekly.

I've read all available chapters (and checked out the Raws as well).

Why You Should Read Hero Killer

1. It's a very compelling "modern" dark fantasy. It's a world of heroes and villains where the Hero Clan is corrupt and rotten. The villains aren't saints either, and it's largely evil vs evil.

But most characters are well fleshed out, with complex and relatable human motivations. There are very few caricatures who are evil for the lulz or one dimensional.

And even among the Hero Clan, there are heroes who are genuinely morally upright and are trying to save people. The side characters (both heroes and villains) really grow on you as you progress through the series.
[Do beware though, some of the characters you like will die. But it's not as bad as Akame Ga Kill in its mercilessness.]

2. The protagonist isn't overpowered either. She starts the story as like an E tier power wise (on a rating from F to S), and gradually grows over the course of the story. As at the latest chapters, she's maybe a B+. Overpowered protagonists are hard to do well while preserving tension/a sense of serious stakes, and I've come to dislike most exemplars of that genre.

3. The series isn't a one (wo)man show. There are a large and vibrant cast of characters who all get their time in the spotlight, and there are several characters that are likely to speak/appeal to you.

The protagonist isn't my favourite character and probably not even among my top 10 (in this universe). I love this series anyway, because it's supporting cast is so great. I don't hate the protagonist, but this is the kind of series you could enjoy even if you hated the protagonist because of its strong supporting cast.

4. The protagonist and other significant characters don't stay static throughout the series but develop and grow as people. The protagonist in particular becomes much more nuanced than the generic badass female MC she comes across as in the first couple of chapters.

5. It's a female MC in an action manhwa and we have very few of those (Unholy Blood, Empress Hunt, Ashen Oreum, etc.). Of those, the combat choreography and fight scenes here are a step above Unholy Blood and leagues beyond the rest. It's truly a rare gem in this regard.

If you love great action scenes, then you're in for a treat here.

6. 125 chapters in, and the story hasn't lost its seinen aspects and become a generic shounen.
People still die. Characters we care about still die. There isn't plot bullshit or lore breaking developments for the protagonist and her allies to prevail against impossible odds.

I just binged it recently, and it may actually displace Tower of God as my favourite current manhwa.

If you loved Tower of God, I expect you'd like this.

Give it a shot for the first 5 - 10 chapters and decide if its for you?

Cc: @MonsterKaido, @Worst, @Warchief Sanji D Goat.

Last edited:

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Mommy Fubuki!
β€Ž
I think I've seen this somewhere before.

But I didn't have time to check it out.
There are currently 113 free English chapters translated on Webtoon. The (paid) Fast Pass goes up to 118 and the Raws (as at the time of writing this) go up to 125. The series updates weekly.

I've read all available chapters (and checked out the Raws as well).

Why You Should Read Hero Killer

1. It's a very compelling "modern" dark fantasy. It's a world of heroes and villains where the Hero Clan is corrupt and rotten. The villains aren't saints either, and it's largely evil vs evil.

But most characters are well fleshed out, with complex and relatable human motivations. There are very few caricatures who are evil for the lulz or one dimensional.

And even among the Hero Clan, there are heroes who are genuinely morally upright and are trying to save people. The side characters (both heroes and villains) really grow on you as you progress through the series.
[Do beware though, some of the characters you like will die. But it's not as bad as Akame Ga Kill in its mercilessness.]

2. The protagonist isn't overpowered either. She starts the story as like an E tier power wise (on a rating from F to S), and gradually grows over the course of the story. As at the latest chapters, she's maybe a B+. Overpowered protagonists are hard to do well while preserving tension/a sense of serious stakes, and I've come to dislike most exemplars of that genre.

3. The series isn't a one (wo)man show. There are a large and vibrant cast of characters who all get their time in the spotlight, and there are several characters that are likely to speak/appeal to you.

The protagonist isn't my favourite character and probably not even among my top 10 (in this universe). I love this series anyway, because it's supporting cast is so great. I don't hate the protagonist, but this is the kind of series you could enjoy even if you hated the protagonist because of its strong supporting cast.

4. The protagonist and other significant characters don't stay static throughout the series but develop and grow as people. The protagonist in particular becomes much more nuanced than the generic badass female MC she comes across as in the first couple of chapters.

5. It's a female MC in an action manhwa and we have very few of those (Unholy Blood, Empress Hunt, Ashen Oreum, etc.). Of those, the combat choreography and fight scenes here are a step above Unholy Blood and leagues beyond the rest. It's truly a rare gem in this regard.

If you love great action scenes, then you're in for a treat here.

6. 125 chapters in, and the story hasn't lost its seinen aspects and become a generic shounen.
People still die. Characters we care about still die. There isn't plot bullshit or lore breaking developments for the protagonist and her allies to prevail against impossible odds.

I just binged it recently, and it may actually displace Tower of God as my favourite current manhwa.

If you loved Tower of God, I expect you'd like this.

Give it a shot for the first 5 - 10 chapters and decide if its for you?

Cc: @MonsterKaido, @Worst, @Warchief Sanji D Goat.
Female MC?:snoopy::hohoho:

Those are pretty rare.