Questions & Mysteries Shibaraku? Just a moment...

So years ago during Enies Lobby, we saw interest in the colorspread featuring Luffy with Usopp and Robin, who were both out of the crew at the time. A number of people pointed out that the corner kanji, Shibaraku, could be taken as waiting just a little longer. To see them back in the crew in one context.

As of chapter 1023, there's a big pink elephant in the room.
BUT, I'm not talking about how clearly the dragon resembles Momonosuke. Shibaraku is a short Japanese drama that provides some very clear inspiration for this story. From trivial details like Black Maria being sympathetic to Momo, to nods like the name Tobi Roppo, to plot foundations like the evil emperor calling on the help of a mighty warrior to lead, to major predictions like a certain possible beheading. Here are some observations:

It rarely seems to come up that Conquerors Haki has changed. From the first apparent usage in the very first chapter, most of what I imagine is commentary on how Shanks' glare uses Oda's crude idea, that Oda hadn't figured out the power. However, that initial form is directly from the source. Gongoro, the hero of Shibaraku, scares enemies off by speaking with his eyes. For all of the loose examples generally relating to this concept, we see this usage as late as in the current arc:

... Actually, in the case of Gongoro, I should say "eye." You see, Gongoro was noted as a one eyed samurai.
When he's famously struck in battle, he dispatches his attacker in a single shot by returning the favor
Maybe you're getting sick of hearing about Gongoro. After all, it sounds like Sangoro since they both are five where Zorojuro is the wrong number, at ten.

And if I'm hinting that Gongoro is Zoro I'm wrong because he's not the real hero, that would be Luffy. But the Shibaraku creator's group, Naritaya, is represented by three squares called Sansho. This symbol is adorned by Gongoro.

Getting back to the elephant in the room I mentioned, how many swords does Luffy have in that colorspread?

Tldr; we eating good this week

Last edited: