Theory Spelling It Out - The Straw Hat Alphabet Pattern

Hello, everyone!

I don't plan for this to be a particularly long one, I just thought it was distinct enough of a topic from my previous theories that it would be better served as its own thread rather than an addendum to any of them.

I mentioned the other day in my theory on the pattern of the Straw Hats' genders that the reason people believe in the Straw Hat 13 Pattern (that there will be thirteen members total) is because Luffy officially recruited four members in East Blue and four in Paradise, and would therefore recruit four in the New World for a total of twelve after himself, making a total of thirteen. It wasn't until some time later that I remembered that there was another, separate pattern that people often use to reinforce the Straw Hat 13 Pattern: the Alphabet Pattern.

Just to be clear, this is not a theory or pattern I came up with. I am only elaborating on how an existing theory overlaps or conflicts with my own theories, and I just thought it was a topic worth discussing since I haven't really seen anyone talking about it here yet. My goal is to come to my own unique conclusion and present some future possibilities, not to present strictly speaking new information.

So, the idea behind the Alphabet Pattern is that each of the proper members of the Straw Hats will have a name that starts with a different letter of the alphabet, but each available letter is paired up, so if one from that pair is taken, the other is no longer an option. Therefore, of the twenty-six letters in the alphabet, only thirteen can be used. Thus far, this has proven to be consistently true without any contradictions, going as follows:

AB=Brook
CD=Chopper
EF=Franky
GH=???
IJ=Jinbe
KL=Luffy
MN=Nami
OP=???
QR=Robin
ST=Sanji
UV=Usopp
WX=???
YZ=Zoro

Of the thirteen available letter pairs, the ten official members of the Straw Hats have taken ten without any overlap, leaving the remaining three pairs as GH, OP, and WX.

The most common response that I've ever seen to this pattern is that Pudding is the most appropriate for the OP pair, as even her Japanese name, Purin, starts with P, and of all of the choices that have matched other patterns consistently, she's the only one who does so. Some people have used this to argue for Perona, but the general consensus seems to lean towards Pudding because Perona doesn't have as many parallels to Nami and Robin to speak of.

I can't double check it now, obviously, since Oro Jackson is no longer operational, but if I recall, Tama received a lot of buzz there when she was introduced because her name card referred to her as O-Tama.

Now, a lot of that buzz, as I seem to recall, was because people didn't quite seem to make the connection that her proper name is not Otama, but Tama, with O- being a common honorific prefix used when referring to women in Wano. Rather than taking this at face value and assuming that this puts Tama in the ST pair already taken by Sanji, this detail actually served to change the conversation: do the recruits of the New World have to strictly fit into those pairs?

If a fairly generic honorific is potentially enough justification to count Tama in the OP pair, would other prefixes or additives work? What about epithets? Would perhaps Monet, a clear member of the MN pair, be applicable to the GH pair if her epithet is Harpy as many speculate? Does that even matter in her case, since everyone in the Donquixote Pirates used codenames except for Law? Doesn't it stand to reason that Monet isn't even her real name and she could easily be a GH or WX from birth?

GH could also easily apply to Hiyori if she proves to be an effective ally at Onigashima. Speaking of Onigashima, Ginrummy could also apply, especially if codenames can be used in place of real names. Quick aside, I was going to note that Franky being a nickname proved that to be an option, until I remember that his birth name is Cutty Flam, with Flam most likely being his given name, so he'd be F no matter what. Still, he goes by Franky, so for all intents and purposes, nicknames are most likely viable, so codenames probably are as well.

Pretty much all of the Red Scabbards are out, despite a lot of them being fairly popular choices in and of themselves: Kinemon and Kawamatsu (KL), Nekomamushi (MN), Inuarashi (IJ), Raizou (QR), Denjiro/Kyoushiro (CD/KL), and Asura Douji/Shutenmaru (AB/ST). I'm not sure how many of them are actually popular, but I've seen at least half of them suggested once or twice over the past year or two. The only one who may fit is Kikunojo as O-Kiku (OP), but the narrative isn't really leaning that way as far as I can tell.

Another denizen of Wano that I've seen a little bit of discussion about would be Gyukimaru, or his alternative fox form, Onimaru. Because of how little he has been given the opportunity to contribute to the plot so far and how his transformation has been thus far unexplained, some people expect him to play a bigger part by the end of Wano, likely at Onigashima. If he does and proves to be a valuable ally, then he can count as both GH and OP simultaneously.

Rebecca and Viola are obviously out, being QR and UV, as are fellow royals Vivi (UV), Momonosuke (MN), and Shirahoshi (ST). If Vivi and Momo are considered honorary Straw Hats, though, the overlap probably doesn't matter, as they aren't strictly speaking counted among the Straw Hat 13. It is interesting to note though that while they are in those pairs, they do still have unique letters within those pairs (Usopp and Vivi, Momo and Nami). May not mean anything, but a nice detail.

Also of interest is that Gaimon, who declined his invitation, fits GH, but I don't see him leaving the Island of Rare Animals, so that's probably not too important.

beck's top picks of Tashigi and Smoker are both ST, so they don't seem to make the cut either, until we consider that Smoker is the White Hunter, WX, or Hakuryou, GH, in Japanese. Tashigi has no such luck, unfortunately.

Of our two Kuja candidates, Marguerite falls short being MN, but Hancock actually manages to swing back in as a GH.

There's also a couple of characters that I haven't seen anyone suggest in a long time, though I'm sure they still have their fans: Caesar Clown and Caribou. Despite both being CD, both have alternative names that could be used to justify them. While masquerading as a member of the Fire Tank Pirates, Caesar took on the name Gastino, making him a GH which I recall gave him a pretty big spike in popularity, while Caribou's epithet is Wet-Haired, WX. Caribou's Japanese epithet is Nuregami, MN, though, so that may not be intentional on Oda's part.

Thanks to beck, many people also believe that a giant is going to join at some point, which at one point most people figured would be Hajrudin (GH) until he joined as a Fleet Captain instead. When the prince of Elbaf, Loki, was revealed sometime later, people shifted their expectations to him, but he's KL, so perhaps not.

X Drake may fit WX, though he would be unique in the sense that he'd be the only one using his family name. I don't see him joining though, since he's a Supernova, who all thus far have become allies rather than members.

There aren't that many options for WX in general, but one that I used to see every so often and even see to this day (thank you @Kurodiamondo for reminding me) is Wyper. I don't recall seeing much reason in Skypiea to suspect he would join, but I'm not going to say it's impossible.

Minks Wanda and Pedro both fit WX and OP respectively, but given Pedro's...condition and Wanda's overall lack of involvement in the story, they don't seem particularly likely in their own right. Many people believe that Pedro is still alive, and if that turns out to be the case, then I think his chances will go up exponentially, but I feel that his part in the narrative has more or less concluded barring flashbacks to help better develop Carrot, as he seems to be her equivalent of the tragic losses that all of the other Straw Hats usually only have in their backstories.

Speaking of Minks, the most unfortunate victim of this theory would have to be our current front runner, Carrot, as she is obviously in the CD pair with Chopper. We can't even skew it so that Chopper is actually in ST as Tony Tony Chopper because that would push out Sanji. Sure, Sanji could go with UV as Vinsmoke Sanji, but then where does that leave the mononymous Usopp? Unless Carrot turns out to have another name, her chances don't look too good at the moment. That said, it's possible that that is meant as a diversion, as she could easily get an appropriate epithet after joining the crew, like White Rabbit for not only her base fur color, but the color that all of her hair turns in her Sulong form. That would allow her to be WX (or another pair if she gets a different epithet) without having made it too obvious beforehand.

Let's review: as most of the letter pairs in the alphabet are already taken by the names of the rest of the Straw Hats, the only ones left to us are GH, OP and WX. Taken at face value, the characters I have suggested as having the best chances, Carrot, Pudding, Monet, Marguerite and Tama, are almost all eliminated for having names that overlap with the current crew. The only exception would be Pudding, or Purin in Japanese, representing OP. Tama may also work if referred to with the honorific that is used for her in her introduction, making her O-Tama, but that would also make her OP, so Pudding is still more likely. Monet still has a distinct chance, as Monet is likely not her real name, but a codename used among the Donquixote Pirates, leaving the possibility that she is either GH or WX by birth. If epithets are able to count, though, both Monet and Carrot are still perfectly viable, as while strictly speaking neither of them have known epithets yet, Monet's is speculated to be Harpy while Carrot would definitely receive one after joining the crew and becoming known to the World Government. If/when she does, it could easily fit any of the letter pairs, but I'm willing to bet it will incorporate "White," as her white fur is her most identifiable feature. Currently unknown factors such as these would allow the top three from the previously presented patterns to fit this pattern as well. Therefore, though the specifics are currently hypothetical and may vary in canon, our final lineup would end up looking something like this:

AB=Brook
CD=Chopper
EF=Franky
GH="Harpy" Monet
IJ=Jinbe
KL=Luffy
MN=Nami
OP=Pudding
QR=Robin
ST=Sanji
UV=Usopp
WX="White Rabbit" Carrot
YZ=Zoro

Because Vivi and Momo are honorary Straw Hats and aren't counted in the Straw Hat 13, their encroachment on MN and UV is a moot point. Many other characters are still plenty plausible, though, such as "White Hunter" Smoker (WX), "Wet-Haired" Caribou (WX), the scientist formerly known as Caesar Clown - Gastino (GH), Boa Hancock (GH), Wanda (WX), X Drake (WX), Wyper (WX), Gyukimaru/Onimaru (GH/OP), and likely others that I couldn't remember or haven't even been introduced yet, but given the patterns I've presented over the last several days, I'm still willing to put my money on the trio I've been backing this whole time, and this has only reinforced my stance on that.

I don't personally want to rely on the epithets since there currently isn't a precedent for doing so, but I'm perfectly willing to accept that they were for the sake of obscuring Oda's intentions. I've honestly never put any thought into what Carrot would be called if she joined, or Pudding for that matter, but now that I've said something about it, I'm going to be sorely disappointed if Carrot isn't "White Rabbit" or "White Tail" or something like that. Pudding would probably be Three-Eyes or Third Eye or something, which isn't too exciting, but it's serviceable. Monet works fine as Harpy, and I'm honestly much more interested in learning her real name. Hopefully all of these theories will summon her back into the world that I may finally find out the truth.

Anyway, I don't really plan to do any more theories on the topic of female recruits anytime soon, so unless I happen to think of another one, expect a new topic next time.

Until then, thank you for reading.

-Tokiro Oumaga

Last edited:
I don't think epithets work, it has to be 1st names. Its been that way for every member so far. You can argue Franky, but he changed his name and everyone calls him that. And I doubt Luffy would shout Harpy or White Rabbit at his own crewmates. It also eliminates some others who are great friends with Luffy like Bon chan. Weirdly enough Mr3 would fit in theory since his name is Galdino iirc, but Luffy just calls him "San". Then there is also Law who's weird. With his full name being Trafalgar D Water Law, he should be a WX candidate since everything after D should be his 1st name. What reason would Oda have to change his name when he could have just added D (Maybe he's aware of this particular pattern...)? But same as Mr3, Luffy just calls him Tra-guy, so it's kinda weird.

So with that in mind, the ones that fit are Hiyori, Hancock, Hatchin, Galdino for GH, Pekoms, Pudding, Perona for OP, and Weevil and Wanda (and Waterloo lol) for WX. This is off the top of my head so I probably forgot quite a few, but not a wide selection by any means.

This is by far my favorite fan made pattern and I was hoping since I 1st saw it that it materializes, but with every arc it becomes less likely. This is the 5th arc in the NW and the only one that joined is the one we knew would since FI. It doesent look good for our fan wishes.

I don't think epithets work, it has to be 1st names. Its been that way for every member so far. You can argue Franky, but he changed his name and everyone calls him that. And I doubt Luffy would shout Harpy or White Rabbit at his own crewmates. It also eliminates some others who are great friends with Luffy like Bon chan. Weirdly enough Mr3 would fit in theory since his name is Galdino iirc, but Luffy just calls him "San". Then there is also Law who's weird. With his full name being Trafalgar D Water Law, he should be a WX candidate since everything after D should be his 1st name. What reason would Oda have to change his name when he could have just added D (Maybe he's aware of this particular pattern...)? But same as Mr3, Luffy just calls him Tra-guy, so it's kinda weird.

So with that in mind, the ones that fit are Hiyori, Hancock, Hatchin, Galdino for GH, Pekoms, Pudding, Perona for OP, and Weevil and Wanda (and Waterloo lol) for WX. This is off the top of my head so I probably forgot quite a few, but not a wide selection by any means.

This is by far my favorite fan made pattern and I was hoping since I 1st saw it that it materializes, but with every arc it becomes less likely. This is the 5th arc in the NW and the only one that joined is the one we knew would since FI. It doesent look good for our fan wishes.
Like I said in the last one: don't despair! Jinbe took the better of a decade to join the crew, but he still did it, didn't he? Whoever you're hoping for, there's plenty of time for the story to shift towards them, even if it doesn't look like it right now.

I definitely see the argument that epithets don't count since there currently isn't a precedent for it, my point was just that Oda may not want to be as blatant with the crew past a certain point, lest he give away the answers too soon.

It's like how he was pretty dodgy when people asked him if Kuma was going to join the crew because the Nikyu-Nikyu (Paw-Paw) Fruit fit a particular pattern that the rest of the crew's Devil Fruits set up. Sure, Kuma COULD join the crew because he fits that particular pattern, or that could be a red herring, since Kinemon fits that pattern in exactly the same way with his Fuku-Fuku (Garb-Garb) Fruit. If anything, the fact that they both fit that pattern tells me that it won't be either of them, because it's too obvious, and someone who fits in an unexpected way will.

It's the same thing: the pattern is set up to work in a particular way, and then right at the end it changes so it still fits, but isn't too obvious looking forward.

If you don't think epithets work, that's totally cool, I just think that Carrot has too much going for her so far to be disqualified cus of this, so unless Oda changes her name or reveals that Minks have family names (which thus far none of them seem to), then I'm sticking with that. The alternative is that this theory is wrong altogether and their names were just coincidences. That works fine for me too, honestly.

Like I said in the last one: don't despair! Jinbe took the better of a decade to join the crew, but he still did it, didn't he? Whoever you're hoping for, there's plenty of time for the story to shift towards them, even if it doesn't look like it right now.

I definitely see the argument that epithets don't count since there currently isn't a precedent for it, my point was just that Oda may not want to be as blatant with the crew past a certain point, lest he give away the answers too soon.

It's like how he was pretty dodgy when people asked him if Kuma was going to join the crew because the Nikyu-Nikyu (Paw-Paw) Fruit fit a particular pattern that the rest of the crew's Devil Fruits set up. Sure, Kuma COULD join the crew because he fits that particular pattern, or that could be a red herring, since Kinemon fits that pattern in exactly the same way with his Fuku-Fuku (Garb-Garb) Fruit. If anything, the fact that they both fit that pattern tells me that it won't be either of them, because it's too obvious, and someone who fits in an unexpected way will.

It's the same thing: the pattern is set up to work in a particular way, and then right at the end it changes so it still fits, but isn't too obvious looking forward.

If you don't think epithets work, that's totally cool, I just think that Carrot has too much going for her so far to be disqualified cus of this, so unless Oda changes her name or reveals that Minks have family names (which thus far none of them seem to), then I'm sticking with that. The alternative is that this theory is wrong altogether and their names were just coincidences. That works fine for me too, honestly.
My problem with Carrot is she has been a sidecharacter for 3 arcs now, she doesn't have that Strawhat vibe if you ask me. She didn't stick out at Zou, it was the opposite in fact, she was barely seen. WCI had another female character overshadow her (Pudding). She was one of very few in Luffys crew so she naturally would have lots of panel time, yet the most she did was showing us a glimpse of what the minks are gonna do at the Onigashima raid with their Sulong forms. And then came Wano where she... well she stole some food with Wanda from the Beast Pirates. And again is being overshadowed by a female (Hiyori). Coincidentally, both these females fit the pattern, while she doesent at first glance (maybe you're right about the curveball from Oda). I've seen some suggestions about her official name being changed to Garrot (once/if she gets a wanted poster I guess?) to fit the pattern so let's wait. But so far she hasn't made an impression on me.

Where I do expect curveballs is the last 2 members, if this in fact turns out a valid pattern and we get 12 recruits. There is very little known characters that fit the pattern, especially male ones, so Oda might be leading us astray.

My problem with Carrot is she has been a sidecharacter for 3 arcs now, she doesn't have that Strawhat vibe if you ask me. She didn't stick out at Zou, it was the opposite in fact, she was barely seen. WCI had another female character overshadow her (Pudding). She was one of very few in Luffys crew so she naturally would have lots of panel time, yet the most she did was showing us a glimpse of what the minks are gonna do at the Onigashima raid with their Sulong forms. And then came Wano where she... well she stole some food with Wanda from the Beast Pirates. And again is being overshadowed by a female (Hiyori). Coincidentally, both these females fit the pattern, while she doesent at first glance (maybe you're right about the curveball from Oda). I've seen some suggestions about her official name being changed to Garrot (once/if she gets a wanted poster I guess?) to fit the pattern so let's wait. But so far she hasn't made an impression on me.

Where I do expect curveballs is the last 2 members, if this in fact turns out a valid pattern and we get 12 recruits. There is very little known characters that fit the pattern, especially male ones, so Oda might be leading us astray.
I respectfully disagree, my friend! Sure, Carrot's role in Zou was fairly short, and thus far in Wano hasn't been particularly involved, but her contributions on Whole Cake Island definitely gave me the feeling that she was Straw Hat material!

Her interactions with Chopper, the showcase of her combat abilities, acting as lookout whenever on board the Sunny, and even seeing the tragic loss of her mentor in real time rather than in a flashback, it all felt to me very much like the birth of a new Straw Hat, just from a different point of view than we normally get!

If she doesn't get any particular spotlight during Onigashima, sure, I'll concede, but I don't feel that Carrot's involvement at Whole Cake was any less than say Franky's at Enies Lobby or Brook's on Thriller Bark.

Sticking to that alphabet theory, my opinion about next crew will be :

GH : Hiyori?
OP : Pedro
WX : Wyper

Why I choose them because I believe there would be some race representative that connected to kozuki clan/ancient kingdom in the crew. So we may get the answer why Fishman Island isn't live on the surface (jinbe), why Shandian protects their island and from who or why sky folk doesn't live on the blue sea (wyper), why minks has to lives on the zunisha and something about dawn of the world (pedro if somehow alive).

But still, I doubt Hiyori will join. More likely Hiyori will get Hancock and Pudding treatment. Moreover we don't need more musician in the crew

I hope Wyper might showed up in the arc related with Uroge and Enel.

But the lack of my theory is so short screen time and interaction, the position in the ship, and their condition.

Why I choose them because I believe there would be some race representative that connected to kozuki clan/ancient kingdom in the crew. So we may get the answer why Fishman Island isn't live on the surface (jinbe), why Shandian protects their island and from who or why sky folk doesn't live on the blue sea (wyper), why minks has to lives on the zunisha and something about dawn of the world (pedro if somehow alive).

But still, I doubt Hiyori will join. More likely Hiyori will get Hancock and Pudding treatment. Moreover we don't need more musician in the crew

But the lack of my theory is so short screen time and interaction, the position in the ship, and their condition.
Gah, I meant to mention Wyper! I was trying really hard to think of how to transition to talking about him, but I got distracted and I forgot! Thank you for reminding me! That said, I don't personally see how he'd be reintroduced into the story at the moment, and I don't think he really had a strong enough interaction with anyone in the crew to warrant considering him. I know that may sound hypocritical considering that neither has Monet, but I think there are enough hints littered throughout Punk Hazard and other arcs to set up how an arc involving her may play out. I'm not against Wyper, I just don't currently have any reason to keep an eye on him.

As for having a Kozuki, I established in one of my previous theories that I believe Momo is going to travel with the crew, he just won't be counted as one of the main thirteen. I tried to allude to that here, but I suppose I could have made that a bit clearer.

I don't personally believe Pedro is alive, unfortunately, as I think his death was meant to be Carrot's loss (the way that everyone else lost a loved one in their flashbacks) as I mentioned earlier in the thread when responding to someone else.

Hello, everyone!

I don't plan for this to be a particularly long one, I just thought it was distinct enough of a topic from my previous theories that it would be better served as its own thread rather than an addendum to any of them.

I mentioned the other day in my theory on the pattern of the Straw Hats' genders that the reason people believe in the Straw Hat 13 Pattern (that there will be thirteen members total) is because Luffy officially recruited four members in East Blue and four in Paradise, and would therefore recruit four in the New World for a total of twelve after himself, making a total of thirteen. It wasn't until some time later that I remembered that there was another, separate pattern that people often use to reinforce the Straw Hat 13 Pattern: the Alphabet Pattern.

Just to be clear, this is not a theory or pattern I came up with. I am only elaborating on how an existing theory overlaps or conflicts with my own theories, and I just thought it was a topic worth discussing since I haven't really seen anyone talking about it here yet. My goal is to come to my own unique conclusion and present some future possibilities, not to present strictly speaking new information.

So, the idea behind the Alphabet Pattern is that each of the proper members of the Straw Hats will have a name that starts with a different letter of the alphabet, but each available letter is paired up, so if one from that pair is taken, the other is no longer an option. Therefore, of the twenty-six letters in the alphabet, only thirteen can be used. Thus far, this has proven to be consistently true without any contradictions, going as follows:

AB=Brook
CD=Chopper
EF=Franky
GH=???
IJ=Jinbe
KL=Luffy
MN=Nami
OP=???
QR=Robin
ST=Sanji
UV=Usopp
WX=???
YZ=Zoro

Of the thirteen available letter pairs, the ten official members of the Straw Hats have taken ten without any overlap, leaving the remaining three pairs as GH, OP, and WX.

The most common response that I've ever seen to this pattern is that Pudding is the most appropriate for the OP pair, as even her Japanese name, Purin, starts with P, and of all of the choices that have matched other patterns consistently, she's the only one who does so. Some people have used this to argue for Perona, but the general consensus seems to lean towards Pudding because Perona doesn't have as many parallels to Nami and Robin to speak of.

I can't double check it now, obviously, since Oro Jackson is no longer operational, but if I recall, Tama received a lot of buzz there when she was introduced because her name card referred to her as O-Tama.

Now, a lot of that buzz, as I seem to recall, was because people didn't quite seem to make the connection that her proper name is not Otama, but Tama, with O- being a common honorific prefix used when referring to women in Wano. Rather than taking this at face value and assuming that this puts Tama in the ST pair already taken by Sanji, this detail actually served to change the conversation: do the recruits of the New World have to strictly fit into those pairs?

If a fairly generic honorific is potentially enough justification to count Tama in the OP pair, would other prefixes or additives work? What about epithets? Would perhaps Monet, a clear member of the MN pair, be applicable to the GH pair if her epithet is Harpy as many speculate? Does that even matter in her case, since everyone in the Donquixote Pirates used codenames except for Law? Doesn't it stand to reason that Monet isn't even her real name and she could easily be a GH or WX from birth?

GH could also easily apply to Hiyori if she proves to be an effective ally at Onigashima. Speaking of Onigashima, Ginrummy could also apply, especially if codenames can be used in place of real names. Quick aside, I was going to note that Franky being a nickname proved that to be an option, until I remember that his birth name is Cutty Flam, with Flam most likely being his given name, so he'd be F no matter what. Still, he goes by Franky, so for all intents and purposes, nicknames are most likely viable, so codenames probably are as well.

Pretty much all of the Red Scabbards are out, despite a lot of them being fairly popular choices in and of themselves: Kinemon and Kawamatsu (KL), Nekomamushi (MN), Inuarashi (IJ), Raizou (QR), Denjiro/Kyoushiro (CD/KL), and Asura Douji/Shutenmaru (AB/ST). I'm not sure how many of them are actually popular, but I've seen at least half of them suggested once or twice over the past year or two. The only one who may fit is Kikunojo as O-Kiku (OP), but the narrative isn't really leaning that way as far as I can tell.

Rebecca and Viola are obviously out, being QR and UV, as are fellow royals Vivi (UV), Momonosuke (MN), and Shirahoshi (ST). If Vivi and Momo are considered honorary Straw Hats, though, the overlap probably doesn't matter, as they aren't strictly speaking counted among the Straw Hat 13. It is interesting to note though that while they are in those pairs, they do still have unique letters within those pairs (Usopp and Vivi, Momo and Nami). May not mean anything, but a nice detail.

Also of interest is that Gaimon, who declined his invitation, fits GH, but I don't see him leaving the Island of Rare Animals, so that's probably not too important.

beck's top picks of Tashigi and Smoker are both ST, so they don't seem to make the cut either, until we consider that Smoker is the White Hunter, WX, or Hakuryou, GH, in Japanese. Tashigi has no such luck, unfortunately.

Of our two Kuja candidates, Marguerite falls short being MN, but Hancock actually manages to swing back in as a GH.

There's also a couple of characters that I haven't seen anyone suggest in a long time, though I'm sure they still have their fans: Caesar Clown and Caribou. Despite both being CD, both have alternative names that could be used to justify them. While masquerading as a member of the Fire Tank Pirates, Caesar took on the name Gastino, making him a GH which I recall gave him a pretty big spike in popularity, while Caribou's epithet is Wet-Haired, WX. Caribou's Japanese epithet is Nuregami, MN, though, so that may not be intentional on Oda's part.

Thanks to beck, many people also believe that a giant is going to join at some point, which at one point most people figured would be Hajrudin (GH) until he joined as a Fleet Captain instead. When the prince of Elbaf, Loki, was revealed sometime later, people shifted their expectations to him, but he's KL, so perhaps not.

X Drake may fit WX, though he would be unique in the sense that he'd be the only one using his family name. I don't see him joining though, since he's a Supernova, who all thus far have become allies rather than members.

There aren't that many options for WX in general, but one that I used to see every so often and even see to this day (thank you @Kurodiamondo for reminding me) is Wyper. I don't recall seeing much reason in Skypiea to suspect he would join, but I'm not going to say it's impossible.

Minks Wanda and Pedro both fit WX and OP respectively, but given Pedro's...condition and Wanda's overall lack of involvement in the story, they don't seem particularly likely in their own right.

Speaking of Minks, the most unfortunate victim of this theory would have to be our current front runner, Carrot, as she is obviously in the CD pair with Chopper. We can't even skew it so that Chopper is actually in ST as Tony Tony Chopper because that would push out Sanji. Sure, Sanji could go with UV as Vinsmoke Sanji, but then where does that leave the mononymous Usopp? Unless Carrot turns out to have another name, her chances don't look too good at the moment. That said, it's possible that that is meant as a diversion, as she could easily get an appropriate epithet after joining the crew, like White Rabbit for not only her base fur color, but the color that all of her hair turns in her Sulong form. That would allow her to be WX (or another pair if she gets a different epithet) without having made it too obvious beforehand.

Let's review: as most of the letter pairs in the alphabet are already taken by the names of the rest of the Straw Hats, the only ones left to us are GH, OP and WX. Taken at face value, the characters I have suggested as having the best chances, Carrot, Pudding, Monet, Marguerite and Tama, are almost all eliminated for having names that overlap with the current crew. The only exception would be Pudding, or Purin in Japanese, representing OP. Tama may also work if referred to with the honorific that is used for her in her introduction, making her O-Tama, but that would also make her OP, so Pudding is still more likely. Monet still has a distinct chance, as Monet is likely not her real name, but a codename used among the Donquixote Pirates, leaving the possibility that she is either GH or WX by birth. If epithets are able to count, though, both Monet and Carrot are still perfectly viable, as while strictly speaking neither of them have known epithets yet, Monet's is speculated to be Harpy while Carrot would definitely receive one after joining the crew and becoming known to the World Government. If/when she does, it could easily fit any of the letter pairs, but I'm willing to bet it will incorporate "White," as her white fur is her most identifiable feature. Currently unknown factors such as these would allow the top three from the previously presented patterns to fit this pattern as well. Therefore, though the specifics are currently hypothetical and may vary in canon, our final lineup would end up looking something like this:

AB=Brook
CD=Chopper
EF=Franky
GH="Harpy" Monet
IJ=Jinbe
KL=Luffy
MN=Nami
OP=Pudding
QR=Robin
ST=Sanji
UV=Usopp
WX="White Rabbit" Carrot
YZ=Zoro

Because Vivi and Momo are honorary Straw Hats and aren't counted in the Straw Hat 13, their encroachment on MN and UV is a moot point. Many other characters are still plenty plausible, though, such as "White Hunter" Smoker (WX), "Wet-Haired" Caribou (WX), the scientist formerly known as Caesar Clown - Gastino (GH), Boa Hancock (GH), Wanda (WX), X Drake (WX), Wyper (WX), and likely others that I couldn't remember or haven't even been introduced yet, but given the patterns I've presented over the last several days, I'm still willing to put my money on the trio I've been backing this whole time, and this has only reinforced my stance on that.

I don't personally want to rely on the epithets since there currently isn't a precedent for doing so, but I'm perfectly willing to accept that they were for the sake of obscuring Oda's intentions. I've honestly never put any thought into what Carrot would be called if she joined, or Pudding for that matter, but now that I've said something about it, I'm going to be sorely disappointed if Carrot isn't "White Rabbit" or "White Tail" or something like that. Pudding would probably be Three-Eyes or Third Eye or something, which isn't too exciting, but it's serviceable. Monet works fine as Harpy, and I'm honestly much more interested in learning her real name. Hopefully all of these theories will summon her back into the world that I may finally find out the truth.

Anyway, I don't really plan to do any more theories on the topic of female recruits anytime soon, so unless I happen to think of another one, expect a new topic next time.

Until then, thank you for reading.

-Tokiro Oumaga
If you will put Monet in there then, I might as well throw in Pedro, the harpy epithet may true but epithet doesnt truly apply in the pattern, and it looked forced also to put monet in the GH.

Also, monet situation is likewise very much the same of Pedro. As you argued when you mentioned Pedro in this theory, Monet situation is irrelevant too.

So if you put monet in there, I think Pedro should have equal mentions in the theory. If you will take a look on the color scheme theory for the strawhat, referring to Beck's colorwheel, the light green in there can be monet and pedro.

If she doesn't get any particular spotlight during Onigashima, sure, I'll concede, but I don't feel that Carrot's involvement at Whole Cake was any less than say Franky's at Enies Lobby or Brook's on Thriller Bark.
Thing here is both franky and brook joined after enies and thriller bark.

If carrot gets a significant fight here then maybe shell really be the next sh. Afterall if she gets screentime with all of the big name characters present in the story right now, then that just hint that shes important

I respectfully disagree, my friend! Sure, Carrot's role in Zou was fairly short, and thus far in Wano hasn't been particularly involved, but her contributions on Whole Cake Island definitely gave me the feeling that she was Straw Hat material!

Her interactions with Chopper, the showcase of her combat abilities, acting as lookout whenever on board the Sunny, and even seeing the tragic loss of her mentor in real time rather than in a flashback, it all felt to me very much like the birth of a new Straw Hat, just from a different point of view than we normally get!

WCI was her peak so far, yet she still hasn't swung me over. Her top moments were Pedro's death and her Sulong form. Oda spent so little panel time to her flashback with Pedro, if it was any less I'm not sure I would even know they had a bond :D. I mean, we need more than Pedro telling her she can become a warrior without a sword from a Strawhat.

When I look at Pudding, despite being on the opposite side, she had more significant moments from the beginning, and more character development as well. Portrayal wise she was very important to BM, she was unique even in a country where you can see any type of weirdo, and she had way more meaningful interactions with Luffy most notably. She was someone that stuck out from the beginning, had a plot twist to her, played one of the biggest roles in the main event and closing of the arc, and was left behind as a unfinished chapter. And remember that Luffy promised Katakuri to return (now with BM in Wano, it kinda defeats the purpose, but who knows). Weve seen her tragic past but also only a glimpse of her flashback with Lola, hinting that there is more to her than crazy three eyes lover of Sanji. A dream dare I say?

Hiyori also has shown little so far but her arc is still ongoing and she was kind of a huge deal from the get go, so I give her the benefit of doubt still. I'm hesitant to do the same with Carrot since she had her chances already, and didn't make a lasting impression on me.

And regarding Franky and Brook, I would say they both got more focus on them than Carrot. Franky had his gang beat up Usopp resulting in a big argument in the crew, then he fought Luffy, took in Usopp with Merry, and then Oda started showing the real Franky with CP9 involvement. We got a flashback, he was taken to Ennies Lobby with Robin, burned blueprints infront of everyone, caught up with Spandam and Robin, released her, built their new ship and then joined. Brook got invited immediately by Luffy, the 2 showed great chemistry from the get go, he was revealed a musician which Luffy wanted since the 1st chapters, showed them how to deal with zombies, his connection to Laboon was revealed. And what's most important is that this all was key contributions to the plot, I can't say the same for Carrots feats, except the already mentioned 2 (Pedros death and Sulong).

My favorite would still remain Pudding if I had to choose. Her tears at the end of the arc are pissing the Sanji in me off. It's clear to me she wanted to go but couldn't, because she knows she's too important and that BM would come to take her back if she left (and attack the Strawhats in the process). Nami had tears because she knew Arlong would come for her if she left with Luffy, she wanted but couldnt until Arlong was at her back. Robin cried as well because she wanted to live and go with the Strawhats, but couldn't because the government wanted her death. Then Luffy rekt EL and took her back. Once Luffy kicks BMs ass, there will be nothing preventing Pudding from leaving, so there Oda will have the opportunity to make her relevant again. I also wish Oda would reveal a 3rd key aspect of going to Raftel besides navigation (Nami) and reading the poneglyphs (Robin), so Puddings 3rd eye ability gets relevant. That way it would be the 3 females that would lead Luffy to One Piece, each playing a key role. Just finish her flashback and give her a dream and she's good to go.

I was really young when I was watching Skypeia some 15 years ago, and I wanted Wyper to join badly. He had that aura of coolness and fearlessness that I loved from Luffy and Zoro as well, he was flying, fighting with a freakin bazooka, he was just awesome. I was thinking to myself when the arc was ending "Luffy you stupid idiot, ask him to come along". I was very disappointed.

But looking right now Oda finished writing his character, so there's no point bringing him back. He wanted to reclaim the city Shandora which is why he fought, then Enel was defeated, he found out about Cricket, Luffy ringed the bell, and he had no reason to fight anymore. Oda could have maybe expanded further by him going to the blue sea to find out about their past, but that overlaps with Robin a bit. Anyway, now it's too late for him

Now that I think about it. Can it be Hyogoro for the next crew? He spend a lot of time with luffy in prison. Feels like Jinbe.

Plus. He already has epithet Hyogoro the Flower. And i hope he can do something other than fight like crafting sea stone maybe?
Fair point, Hyogoro is definitely a GH candidate. I'm not sure what benefit seastone crafting would have aside from possibly making seastone weapons for the non-haki users, which would be pretty cool. I remember a long time ago, people were clamoring for a blacksmith on the crew assuming they would make weapons for Zoro, so maybe Hyo could fulfill a similar role for everyone else? I don't really see it happening, since Hyo was never shown to have any such skill, but that would definitely be neat.

Fair point, Hyogoro is definitely a GH candidate. I'm not sure what benefit seastone crafting would have aside from possibly making seastone weapons for the non-haki users, which would be pretty cool. I remember a long time ago, people were clamoring for a blacksmith on the crew assuming they would make weapons for Zoro, so maybe Hyo could fulfill a similar role for everyone else? I don't really see it happening, since Hyo was never shown to have any such skill, but that would definitely be neat.
Not just weapon, but also coating for ship so sunny can cross calm belt safely. But still, i guess that is franky's job

I just had a thought earlier, what if the trick is not to change names by adding ephithets, last names etc. so they fit the pattern, but to change the pattern so it fits the names? I just briefly looked at Greek and Hebrew alphabets to see if maybe they would fit but they seem to be a little too complex (maybe there is a way to make them work but im not too familiar with them and just took a short look) for such a simple pattern, so i sticked with Latin. For example, there used to be the letter '&' (et) in the English alphabet, which gives us 27 letters. Too much for the 13 Strawhats and 4/4/4 pattern. But if you remove the captain (which the 4/4/4 pattern also does, so i dont see why it couldnt apply here) and arrange it slightly differently:

A B C D E F G H I J K M N
O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z &

Now you have BP-Brook, CQ-Chopper, DR-Robin, ES-Sanji, FT-Franky, GU-Usopp, HV- Vivi, JX-Jinbe, MZ-Zoro and N&-Nami. We now have AO, IW, KY remaining. KY-Kinemon/Karot next? Funny thing is, Kin also fits as the 2.9 DF user. But thats just an idea, im sure there are other ways around it.

I just had a thought earlier, what if the trick is not to change names by adding ephithets, last names etc. so they fit the pattern, but to change the pattern so it fits the names? I just briefly looked at Greek and Hebrew alphabets to see if maybe they would fit but they seem to be a little too complex (maybe there is a way to make them work but im not too familiar with them and just took a short look) for such a simple pattern, so i sticked with Latin. For example, there used to be the letter '&' (et) in the English alphabet, which gives us 27 letters. Too much for the 13 Strawhats and 4/4/4 pattern. But if you remove the captain (which the 4/4/4 pattern also does, so i dont see why it couldnt apply here) and arrange it slightly differently:

A B C D E F G H I J K M N
O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z &

Now you have BP-Brook, CQ-Chopper, DR-Robin, ES-Sanji, FT-Franky, GU-Usopp, HV- Vivi, JX-Jinbe, MZ-Zoro and N&-Nami. We now have AO, IW, KY remaining. KY-Kinemon/Karot next? Funny thing is, Kin also fits as the 2.9 DF user. But thats just an idea, im sure there are other ways around it.
That's definitely an interesting way to look at it, I'm just curious how it would look if you did include Luffy and not &.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

AN-Nami, BO-Brook, CP-Chopper, DQ-???, ER-Robin, FS-Franky and Sanji, GT-???, HU- Usopp, IV-Vivi, JW-Jinbe, KX-???, LY- Luffy, MZ-Zoro

So that doesn't work, clearly.

I don't know how I feel about taking out L and putting in &, but hey, it works for now. It does preclude Pudding with BP, but I do appreciate the possibility for Carrot using the romaji of her name (Kyarotto). If Carrot joins, it'll definitely give this a lot more credence, unless her epithet counts or we learn that she has another name (which would be exceedingly odd, but it's Oda, he's done weirder things).