Theory The Five Elder Stars May Use Black Magic from Medieval Times

The Five Elder Stars May Use Black Magic from Medieval Times

I am going to begin this thread by saying I do not know much about medieval mystical traditions, so I am looking at this from a beginner's perspective. Despite this, I am often able to recognize patterns and themes. If I were a betting man, I would say that the Five Elder Stars use supernatural abilities that originate from what can only be described as Black Magic. To describe the sort of hodge-podge mix of beliefs that created this type of mysticism, I will leave a description of a detailed summary below. Although, the theme surrounding the Five Elder Stars has been difficult to determine - there may be a reason for it. It may not be a particular set of beliefs from a certain culture, but rather a mix of them from several cultures. To be honest, this is strange even to me, but maybe this is part of how their powers work?

- The Great Pentacle comes from this set of beliefs.
- This creates some questions for me like... if there are Mythical things other than fruits (like books).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pentacles of Solomon
May 1, 2020
One of history's most famous grimoires, The Key of Solomon (Latin, 'Clavicula Salomonis’) is a 16th century spell book and the premier manual for the ceremonial magician. It is a fascinating artefact of the European Renaissance, serving as a treasury and guidebook of ceremonial magic, and holding within it The Order of the Pentacles, the detailed series of talismans featured in our collection.

The Order of the Pentacles was a banquet of esoterica, a curious blend of mysticism from all ages and traditions: calling upon powers astrological and the alchemical, evoking spirits angelic and exotic, scribed in languages magical and ancient, and beautifully arranged in verses and sacred geometric structures or symbolic imagery. True occult treasures, these talismans were held by magicians and nobility alike.

The word Pentacle has its origins in the early Italian and French root pend-, meaning “to hang”, and as such, these talismans were to be worn about the neck. Despite also sharing a root with the Greek pente (five), they did not always employ star-shaped figures.

The Pentacles are cast from a melting pot of classical and occult influences: Greek, Latin, Ancient Hebrew, the magical sigils of Dee and Agrippa, Gnostic Mysticism and Babylonian Astrology; not the work of a single tradition or author, but influenced by the works of many magicians and many cultures across a great span of history. Later traditions have adopted them into their own practices, for example The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn uses the Pentacle as one of its five magical accoutrements. Wicca has similarly adopted the Pentacle as a symbol central to its tradition.

In their structure, the seals of Solomon combine symbolism and imagery, power and beauty, ordered within a geometric whole that touches the earthly world at its base, and reaches to the divine heavens at its apex. They express the link between science and metaphysics, medicine and magic, astronomy and astrology; each a necessary part of the divine whole.

To employ the Pentacles, the magician was required to first ritually cleanse themselves, after which they would turn their face to the east and hold their chosen talisman over burning incense (frankincense or myrrh being popular choices), whilst reciting the appropriate psalms and evocations. After this was done, they would then consecrate the seal by reciting The Oration from chapter eight of The Key of Solomon. Activation of the seal was then simply a matter of holding the talisman in the left hand and reciting its associated versicle.

Our selection features the most powerful and beneficial talismans from The Order of the Pentacles. They have been thoroughly researched and masterfully transcribed with care given to the finest detail. They are sealed within a cabochon lens, which magnifies them beautifully so their details remain vivid to the naked eye. It is our pleasure to bring these occult treasures into the modern world and share their mysteries with you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wikipedia Entry

Summary
The Key of Solomon is divided into two books. It describes the necessary drawings to prepare each "experiment" or, in more modern language, magical operations.
Unlike later grimoires such as the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum (16th century) or the Lemegeton (17th century), the Key of Solomon does not mention the signature of the 72 spirits constrained by King Solomon in a bronze vessel. As in most medieval grimoires, all magical operations are ostensibly performed through the power of God, to whom all the invocations are addressed. Before any of these operations (termed "experiments"), the operator must confess his sins and purge himself of evil, invoking the protection of God.
Elaborate preparations are necessary, and each of the numerous items used in the operator's "experiments" must be constructed of the appropriate materials obtained in the prescribed manner, at the appropriate astrological time, marked with a specific set of magical symbols, and blessed with its own specific words. All substances needed for the magic drawings and amulets are detailed, as well as the means to purify and prepare them. Many of the symbols incorporate the Transitus Fluvii occult alphabet.
Introduction
According to the mythical history of the document, as recorded in its introduction, Solomon wrote the book for his son Rehoboam, and commanded him to hide the book in his sepulchre upon his death. After many years the book was discovered by a group of Babylonian philosophers repairing Solomon's tomb. None could interpret the text, until one of them, Iohé Grevis, suggested that they should ask the Lord for understanding. The Angel of the Lord appeared to him and extracted a promise that he would keep the text hidden from the unworthy and the wicked, after which he was able to read it plainly. Iohé Grevis then placed a spell on the book that the unworthy, the unwise or those who did not fear God would not attain the desired effect from any of the workings contained in the book.
Book I
Book I contains conjurations, invocations, and curses to summon and constrain spirits of the dead and demons in order to compel them to do the operator's will. It also describes how to find stolen items, become invisible, gain favour and love, and so on.
Book II
Book II describes various purifications which the operator (termed "exorcist") should undergo, how they should clothe themselves, how the magical implements used in their operations should be constructed, and what animal sacrifices should be made to the spirits.
Cultural references
The book is mentioned in Goethe’s Faust I, in the scene where the poodle transforms himself into the devil Mephistopheles.
For such as your half-hellish crew – The Key of Solomon will do.​
The Key of Solomon is mentioned in H.P. Lovecraft's "Supernatural Horror in Literature", where Lovecraft says it "illustrates the power of the weird over the Eastern mind".
Along with Johannes Kepler’s Astronomia Nova, the Key of Solomon is one of two real-world texts the fictional character Dr. Stephen Strange returns to the Kamar-Taj library in the Marvel Studios film Doctor Strange. In the scene, Kamar-Taj Librarian and current Marvel Cinematic Universe Sorcerer Supreme Wong reads the titles Strange is returning.

Note: I copied the information below the line from History of the Pentacles of Solomon | Hibernacula (studiohibernacula.com)

Last edited: