Theory The Gorosei are the Knights of the Zodiac

I feel like Oda's inspiration for the Gorosei comes from the Saint Seiya manga. If you didn't know, this manga is about how the Goddess Athena is defended by 5 warriors, known as Saints, that take their names/powers from constellations.

This manga ran on jump from 1986-1990, meaning Oda definitely read it when he was young, and given its influence, I wouldn't be surprised if this is where Oda got the idea for Imu and the Gorosei from.

Imu is a god who, like Athena, is defended by 5 Saints that take their names from the stars.

This is probably where the connection between the gorosei and Saint Seiya ends, as Oda has stated that he doesn't like outright ripping concepts from other manga. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gorosei had some sort of ancient kingdom armor, similar to the cloths of the Saints.

We know that the ancient kingdom had highly advanced tech and that the WG has some of that tech, as evident by their UFO. Therefore I feel like the gorosei using ancient kingdom tech would make a lot of sense.

Especially since Oda will already explore haki and DFs with the Blackbeard pirate fights.