Theory The Origin of Devil Fruits

!!!Attention!!! This story is pure headcannon and not to be taken too seriously.

Once upon a time there were two brothers, Umi and Gaia. All doors were open to them because their parents were the rulers of a great nation. Their palace consisted of a huge structure that was built directly to the sea. There was a huge garden in the middle of the palace. Right in the middle was a huge tree. He provided shade and bore the most magnificent fruits in the whole kingdom. The two brothers spent a lot of time under the tree. They talked and played together there, when their parents didn't have time for them. Two brothers who couldn't be more different. The younger of the two brothers was cowardly and fearful. Most of all he feared the wide sea. He didn't dare to set foot in the sea for fear he would drown. His big role model was his big brother, even if he was sometimes jealous of him. He was fearless, enjoyed the good things in life, and laughed all day. He got along with everyone right away and was loved by everyone. It was not difficult for him to make new acquaintances and quickly developed a deep bond with these people. With his kind he reached the hearts of the people around him. Blinded by all their virtues, however, they failed to see that the common people suffered terribly from poverty and hunger. At some point the adventurous brother got tired of spending the whole day in the palace and set out, illegally, to explore the city on his own. There he saw the misery from which the population suffered. He got angry and confronted his parents. He did not understand how they can live so good when the citizens live so bad. Disappointed with his father's answer that they are better than the rabble of the city, the older brother decided to run away and explore the world. He couldn't go on living like this. Locked up in the palace and knowing that the gap between rich and poor is so great. In the evening the older brother said goodbye to the younger one under the huge tree in the garden. They had one last conversation. The younger brother didn't understand the decision and began to cry desperately. He hated his brother for betraying and leaving him. His tears of grief seeped into the ground. When he couldn't take it any longer, he ran into the palace and locked himself in his room. In parting, the older brother looked once more at the big tree that he had so many memories of. Memories of a great time with his little brother. He laughed at the thought of the great time. He laughed so hard that he even started crying. His tears of joy also seeped into the ground. As a sign of his final farewell, he rang a huge golden bell in the highest tower of the palace. A bell whose sound was so loud and intense that its sound waves could be heard all over the world. Their vibration, their sound, their very own voice reached every living being, every object and every layer of the earth. There was a kind of feedback. The atmosphere was enveloped by loud voices. All the voices of the universe. The voice of all things.
The older of the two brothers gave up his name to distance himself from his family. At some point his new friends gave him a nickname that best suited his character. He went down in history as a great adventurer under the name "Joy-Boy". His younger brother, who was filled with despair and hatred after leaving, inherited the kingdom and went down in history as the ruler of terror who wiped out his citizens because they induced his older brother to leave him. His new name was "Imu" because his orinignal name "Umi" reminded him too much of his biggest fear. The tree on which the two brothers shed their tears bore strange-looking fruit from then on. Assuming that these were poisonous, Imu had the tree felled and threw the fruits into the sea. From there they drifted all over the world and bestowed superhuman powers on whoever ate from it. The fruits were permeated with the souls of all life. The younger brother's tears caused the user to develop a weakness towards the sea. A kind of manifestation of the character trait Imu. The character trait of Joyboys to reach the hearts of the people and to bind them has the effect that after the death of the user the forces are always bound to a new fruit. This was the manifestation of Joyboy's character trait. It seemed supernatural to the people who ate them. Because they could not explain the origin of these forces, they called them the fruits of the devil.
When Imu found out what the fruits actually do, the hunt for the strongest devil fruits began. This turned out to be extremely difficult, however, as its users were now very strong and able-bodied warriors.
When Joyboy found out about it, he laughed heartily about it. He laughed at the irony behind the fact that Imu first threw the fruit away and then went to great lengths to get it back. In fact, he found it so funny that he decided to write this story down. One day a well-known pirate named Gol D. Roger was supposed to find these records and laughed so hard that he even came to tears. The island on which Gol D Roger found the recording he named "Laugh Tale" as a dedication.
Imu is still trying to produce artificial devil fruits with the help of his best scientists. Over time it became clear to him that he needed the DNA of himself and his brother for this, which is why he had the now deceased Joyboy frozen and has kept him in a cold store ever since. Its leading scientist, “Dr. Vegapunk “succeeded in extracting the souls of some animals and mystical creatures and using the brothers' DNA to produce real devil fruits of the ZOAN category. How he extracts the soul of a force of nature or an object he has not yet been able to find out, which is why no artificial Paramecia and Logia exist yet. His best colleague "Caesar Clown" was fired during the research due to his unscrupulous nature by Dr. Vegapunk. Since then he has carried out inferior experiments and delivers the bad results to the pirate emperor named "Kaido" via the negotiator "Doflamingo".

End of the story.

Mmmmmm nah this is some naruto gay stuff. Not bad but one piece is more of a parody of real world
Devil fruit might be tools or weapons human made using knowledge that its forbidden now for the big risk of it
The world 800 years could have been more futuristic than present time with tecnology that destroyed too much

Mmmmmm nah this is some naruto gay stuff. Not bad but one piece is more of a parody of real world
Devil fruit might be tools or weapons human made using knowledge that its forbidden now for the big risk of it
The world 800 years could have been more futuristic than present time with tecnology that destroyed too much
Tekking101 came up with the idea that there were a few (maybe the logia types) original devil fruits and some wise people sythetizised them over and over with the new variations to build up this huge spectrum of devil fruit that we got at the present. I kinda like this idea of „farming“ the powers.

I also like the idea that there was a time in the past with a civilization much more industrialized than the present. But then I’m asking myself: Where is all that? Can you wipe out all of this from history?

hopefully Oda comes up with a great explanation. I just don’t wanna hear that these are natural..

Can you wipe out all of this from history?
Something really horrible happened in the distant past, either the mighty waves ate everything OR the source, the original land of the advanced people got destroyed leaving maybe the owners alive but without the knowledge to create the tech again
50/50 50% techonology using 50% of natural resources like elements and "souls"
Thats my opinion

The story is interesting but Never happening in one piece :specialmeh:.... probably won't even get any explanation on it.

Though I don't think fruit itself matters... as we already know its not the fruit but something else which enters a fruit and effects anyone who eats it.... pretty much like soul. Same was seen with BM eating Carmel.
So in a way, it's like an alien/parasite/symbiotic creature which usually inhabits Fruits by default(or prefers) and transfers to the one who eats it up the food chain...
so If a DF gets eaten by a reindeer(chopper) and then a human hunts the reindeer and consumes...the parasite will now dwell in that person.

The story is interesting but Never happening in one piece :specialmeh:.... probably won't even get any explanation on it.

Though I don't think fruit itself matters... as we already know its not the fruit but something else which enters a fruit and effects anyone who eats it.... pretty much like soul. Same was seen with BM eating Carmel.
So in a way, it's like an alien/parasite/symbiotic creature which usually inhabits Fruits by default(or prefers) and transfers to the one who eats it up the food chain...
so If a DF gets eaten by a reindeer(chopper) and then a human hunts the reindeer and consumes...the parasite will now dwell in that person.
I wouldn’t call it a parasite. Rather a soul. But what I found most confusing: A specific power has to be attached to a certain fruit over and over. It has to be this way because there exists a book about devil fruits. It’s hard to spot the right fruit only with the symbolic „mark“. It has to be the mark and the specific fruit. So why are those souls always using the same fruits (for example a banana) and more importantly why fruits in general? Why no vegetables?

I wouldn’t call it a parasite. Rather a soul. But what I found most confusing: A specific power has to be attached to a certain fruit over and over. It has to be this way because there exists a book about devil fruits. It’s hard to spot the right fruit only with the symbolic „mark“. It has to be the mark and the specific fruit. So why are those souls always using the same fruits (for example a banana) and more importantly why fruits in general? Why no vegetables?
I don't think it is a specific fruit, but probably the next nearest fruit available... as it has more evidence of doing that(PH/BB). And why no vegetables.... there is probably no specific reason, the author can just decide that as rule. I actually hope its more of a creature we also have aliens in one pice... don't really like soul thing to be a something common in one piece.

There are many theories about the DF; from created by some form of magic to alien technology.
For my part I think something like that:
  • The DF are artifical created from a advanced form of technology using alchemy (science and „magic“) to create super soldiers.
  • The „Devils“ in the fruits are Souls harvested from people (and animals), the main reason for the use of souls is to create an „artifical transmigration“; to reuse to ability over and over again with a different host.
  • Each Devil use a different fruit to ease differencied the powers.
  • The Fruits are created from a advanced civilization which existed before the „Great Kingdom“ existed. The Kindom fall before the could create perfect fruit without weakness; the weakness to water was not a curse only a mere side effect. The existing DF are the Prototyps.
  • The Creaters were maybe humans, aliens or a extict race lost in time and forgotten today or only known in myth and legends (fairytales).
  • DF exist for a long time and the users become legends, heros, demons, monster and gods over the history of mankind.