Questions & Mysteries Vegapunk's 2 grave sins

In his speech in chapter 1113,Vegapunk says that he committed 2 grave sins,and that he will be punished for them by the government. We can assume that one sin is the fact that he searched for the truth about the Void Century,but what is the other? I have thought about what he did to Kuma,but that would be a "sin" in a moral way,while he seems to suggest in the speech that those 2 sins are "sins" in the eyes of the government. But maybe he was refering to Kuma? What did he mean? Also,he says,"i dont want to talk about right or wrong,and i dont know "him" well enough to talk about it". Who is "him" in his speech? Imu? The concept of God? Someone else? Who is he talking about?

Maybe he is the owner of the snail that took a picture of the Gorosei in 1085? His second sin could be that he captured the true forms of the elders, and could be one of the reasons he has a video transponder snail: he wants to share the image to everyone. Marines weren't allowed to look at Saturn when he showed up as well.
Being buddy of the revolutionaries dragon and Kuma

1. Researching the void century
2. Giving Bonney the highest authority for controlling the Pacifista

“Him” is Kizaru, cause he knew that they’d send Kizaru to kill him and he doesn’t want to blame Kizaru or for people to call him evil if it ever gets out that he was the one to carry the order.

I think that deep down Vegapunk holds himself responsible for whatever PTSD Kizaru’ll go through due to what will happen on egghead the day he dies

In his speech in chapter 1113,Vegapunk says that he committed 2 grave sins,and that he will be punished for them by the government. We can assume that one sin is the fact that he searched for the truth about the Void Century,but what is the other? I have thought about what he did to Kuma,but that would be a "sin" in a moral way,while he seems to suggest in the speech that those 2 sins are "sins" in the eyes of the government. But maybe he was refering to Kuma? What did he mean? Also,he says,"i dont want to talk about right or wrong,and i dont know "him" well enough to talk about it". Who is "him" in his speech? Imu? The concept of God? Someone else? Who is he talking about?
Moving onto Vegapunk’s actual message though, cutting away all the preambling, let’s break down piece by piece what he says:
I’ve committed two sins. Thus, it is likely I am going to be caught or killed. This video was programmed to go live should I go into cardiac arrest.
In this case, the two sins Vegapunk is talking about likely refer to his modification to Kuma’s self-destruct switch, being a shutdown switch instead of an explosive, and him giving Bonney the command authority. As he mentioned when impaled by Saturn, he realized that these two actions were likely to have consequences that would lead to the loss of his life, but it is precisely because of this that he prepared this video to go live. He then continues:
I would like you all to listen closely. There are those who will have likely imparted their judgement upon me, but I do not wish to brand them as “evil”. I’m not one to preach about right or wrong, especially as I do not yet know enough about the type of man that “he” truly is.
Now in this case, Vegapunk says that he prefers to remain scientific and not cast direct judgement, especially with how he himself has often been a morally ambiguous figure, and due to not fully knowing the nature of his enemy. However, he refers to his enemy as not only in plural, “those who will have likely imparted their judgement upon me”, but later specifically refers to this enemy as “he”. This is a very explicit use of a male third person pronoun, which isn’t even all that common in Japanese, meaning that Oda is particularly drawing attention to a specific person that Vegapunk can only refer to as “he”, a certain man.

Due to this, the man Vegapunk is most likely referring about is likely to be… the true enemy, King Imu. This would explain why he refers to Imu as both “he” but also “those”, as he could potentially be aware of the fact that the Gorosei might be extensions of Imu. If the theory were true that the Gorosei are Imu’s satellites, it would particularly make sense that Vegapunk figured this out and then replicated that technology to use for his own clones, so he may be aware of this fact. We still don’t know how much about Imu. Vegapunk seems to know, something even he himself remarks but he does seem to have some idea that he exists, as he specifically calls him out as a “he”.

This may trip some readers, but this is something that was already previously confirmed last year in Chapter 1086, where the Revolutionaries spoke about the historical figure of Nerona Imu as a “St.”, like the other Celestial Dragons. The difference here is that female Celestial Dragons appear to bear a different title, one which translates to something like “Saintess” unique to females, which suggested that Imu was a man. And the fact that Vegapunk explicitly seems to refer to this figure that is the true enemy who plans to sink the world as “he” would suggest once again that indeed, it would seem Imu is a male character.

Last edited:
The common opinion on this is that it is Imu that is being referred to.
- The problem with this is that Imu's existence is one of the most well-kept secrets in the world.

I have suggested that Vegapunk was referring to Nika because everything he had done with Kuma was related to Nika and the ancient kingdom. When the World Government refers to "sins" they are referring to anything related to that, aren't they?

So, he may be saying something like, "I can't judge if what the Five Elders are doing, or even if what I am doing, is good or evil because I don't know enough about Nika."

It may refer to either Nika or Imu, but since Vegapunk hasn't indicated that he discovered Imu's existence before then the likelihood that the person he is referring to as "him" is Imu diminishes greatly. Unless, he's about to reveal that he made careful reasoning and discovered that there must be someone behind the Five Elders who is pulling strings OR he has met Imu himself (but generally when anyone discovers Imu they are killed because it becomes possible for them to tell others about him after they leave).

Except, Wapol's fatass got away with it... he may be the only exception to that.