Questions & Mysteries What Roger and Oden Saw In Laugh Tale

After Wano Arc, I got this belief that Oden, Roger, and his crew did not see the actual One Piece because they were 25 years early.

What they found there was the truth about the 100-Year Void and Joyboy's story (later translating to the island being named Laugh Tale) and the mention of the prophecy.

And there was no confirmation that they did actually see it.

1. During Sabaody, when Usopp asked if OP is real, Rayleigh did not get to answer coz Luffy stopped him. He only confirmed that they know what happened during the 100-Year Void.

2. Whitebeard said OP is real. Yes. But this is based only on what Roger told him before his death. Which is they were too early and that he's waiting for a certain figure to be born.

3. During Oden's Logs, Rayleigh said "who will be the FIRST to find it?". This might be subject to error of translation but that's how I got it as well. And for years and the number of people in his Roger's crew that was not core, it's improbable no one shared to anyone any description. But since they didn't see it, there's nothing to describe.

After mulling these, it made me believe that maybe OP can only exist if Joyboy exists.

This is significant because Luffy will be the first person to find the actual One Piece.

And what if One Piece has no form yet and it's up to Luffy's imagination (related to his real dream) to bring it to life? So, regardless of who reach Laugh Tale first. If it's not Joyboy, it will not appear.

Same as the "Gomu Gomu No Mi". The reason there's no fruit in the ancient encyclopedia (as per Vegapunk) is because the next Joyboy has not been born yet.

That's why The Five Elders believed it to be a legend as it has not been awakened for centuries. Because after the first Joyboy, it has not been consumed by anyone as it does not exist prior to Luffy's birth. They probably knew it was that fruit from the description CP-9 reported upon retrieval.

Just my two cents. This is why this series is god-tier. Even after 25 years (w/c is also the same amount of time as the prophecy like it's happening real-time 😁), we still got a lot to theorize about.

Last edited:
maybe OP can only exist if Joyboy exists.

And what if One Piece has no form yet and it's up to Luffy's imagination.
I tend to agree with the first point, but rather than the OP being some shapeless treasure yet to be shaped by Luffy's power, I suspect it'll be sealed in some poneglyph-resistant technology that can only be opened by G5's heartbeat drums. It'd be less about Nika shaping it, and more about not letting someone unworthy get to the treasure. Even if Imu or BB were to get to Laugh Tale, they'd never be able to claim the OP because you need the Nika fruit to do so, and the Nika fruit would never awaken for their kind.