While the ending of AOT is bad, comparing it to GOT is a little excessive IMO.

To preface this, I followed both series for around 8 years before they concluded so I think my take on this is somewhat justified.

TLDR (without getting too much into the character dynamics of GOT), it seems like it would be much easier to fix the AOT ending than the GOT ending from a writing standpoint.

Like with GOT, seasons 7 and 8 in their entirety are complete trash and arguably seasons 5 and 6 as well.

Fixing GOT would require completely re-writing almost 30 hour long episodes while most of the really big problems with the AOT ending could be somewhat fixed with dialogue adjustments (switching “Ymir loved king Fritz” to “Ymir loved her children” is much easier to swallow for instance).

And as a result the fact that the poor quality of the writing is so concentrated in a few chapters, I’ve personally totally been able to reread + rewatch AOT without the ending affecting my enjoyment.

I do think AOT effectively lost its masterpiece status with the ending, but I also feel like suggesting that the series as a whole is lower than a 6 or 7 out of 10 is a little ridiculous.

That’s almost definitely going to happen. The man is almost 80 and the WOW is still not released. 2023 is a good guess, and it’s not even clear if he’s started work on ADS yet.
He said he wouldn’t start the final book until he finishes winds of winter. But honestly he could finish both of them in a couple years if he really tried.

He said he wouldn’t start the final book until he finishes winds of winter. But honestly he could finish both of them in a couple years if he really tried.
this is an extreme example, but stephen king took 5 years to write IT, which is >1000 pages so grrm could definitely get both books done in a few years. stephen king is known for writing very quickly but it is not outside the realm of possibility

forgot to mention that it took him so long to write it because he was struggling with a horrible cocaine addiction. he normally completed a manuscript in 3 months