Why Jujutsu Kaisen Has The Best Girls In Shounen

Who is your favorite girl in JJK?

• Total voters
INTRODUCTION

Ever since Jujutsu Kaisen Started in Fall 2020, it has blew every anime fan out of the park with it's beautiful animation, masterful choreographed fights, wonderfully written characters, shocking emotional moments and it's consistent high quality. There are many things to praise about Jujutsu Kaisen, but arguably it's most important accomplishment is it's progressive writing in female characters!

CHARACTER

Jujutsu Kaisen is brimming with many spectacular female characters; all unique individuals with their own goals, quirks, and purpose. Each girl feels realistic because they all share relatable flaws that highlight their struggles as a person; showcasing how their unique personalities cope with such battles to give them the drive to succeed as sorcerers.

For example, Nobera (aka best girl) is a feisty, confidant and powerful tomboy; with a tinge of tsundere. She doesn't accept disrespect for herself nor any of her friends and is willing to confront anyone who crosses such boundaries. Refusing to succumb to toxic ideologies she doesn't believe in, even if subjects her to an ill fate. And this all correlates with Noberas tragic past; losing a friend to a mass mob of conspiracist as she stood by powerless as a child, spiraled into a rebellious hot heated spirit.

However, don't mistake Nobera as an arrogant cunt; she's not bakugo lol. Behind her rough exterior, she's a kind and loving woman who cares deeply for her loved ones, and displays high respect for people she looks up to. All of these factors result in a deep relatable HUMAN! She's not just a fictional character, she's a real person. Flawed, but relatable and filled with tons of personality! But Nobera isn't the exception. All of jujutsu kaisens female characters are imperfect, dealing with many personal struggles in their own unique way.

BATTLE SHOUNEN CRITIQUE

This is what many battle shounens lack, that JJK excels in. Writing powerful independent woman that can stand on their own, without relying on the back of men. Hell, they don't even need to be particularly "powerful"; Miya from JJK is the perfect example of a weak girl that gets pushed around all the time by her peers, and has bad performances in fights. Yet she still manages to have a strong drive to fend for herself and succeed, because of her relatable struggle of caring for her family in a poor environment.

Miya doesn't beg others to bestow sympathy towards her torment, and has a fierce dedication to succeed in her missions, even if she's weaker than her peers. However, in your average shounen, woman are either overpowered mary sues (erza scarlet) as an excuse to claim they're powerful independent woman. But in reality they lack personality and motive, and are quickly reduced to fanservice bait for the femdom simps.

And on the opposite side of the coin, they're usually the dreaded damsel of distress who does nothing but hide behind the MC, get captured 24/7, and is generally a useless character. Their entire purpose is to be fanservice bait and win cute waifu contest on the web. The best example I can give you is tamaki; such a terrible character that is literally a textbook trope. Damsel in distress that solely exist for random fanservice shots every 5 minutes...

THE BEAUTY OF MAKI VS MAI

If for some reason you still doubt my claims, let's analyze the beauty of Maki vs Mais' epic battle! When we first met mai, at first glance she appeared to be a typical bitch type of character. A sexy and arrogant cunt who looks down others, and antagonizes her sister. So clearly most of us hated her since as the author attended. However, I've always wondered what kind of developments has entangled the sisters relationship into such a mess.

Then when we arrive at episode 17, the fated battle between the twins commence. And this battle is extraordinary, not just for the stunning animation, masterful choreography, and epic music. But for the high emotional stakes, as Mai is breaking down whimpering with an intense rage of jealousy as she tries to take her onee-san down. It's revealed that Mai has always hated Maki because of her unorthodox confidence, even though she lacked traditional sorcerer powers. While Mai has always cowardly relied on Maki to lead the path, until Maki broke the cycle and left the clan; thus forcing Mai to carve out her own path and catch up with her sister.

This depressing yet simple tragedy has made me appreciate Mai's character FAAAAR more than your average antagonist with a grand sob story about their entire clan being massacred, and now they want to enact revenge on the world. Such a grounded backstory has made Mai way more relatable than your average. And most importantly she feels like a real person!

However, don't forget about her sister! Maki herself, is one of the most powerful woman I have ever seen in shounen. Not just for her superhuman abilities, but for her direct striking personality! Maki is determined to meet her goals to prove her wrongdoers wrong. She wants to take over her clan, to change the direction of it's corrupt greedy practices, and make a better environment for herself and Mai. At first glance, she may seem cold and stern, but behind that diamond exterior, she's a badass passionate woman, willing to go through great lengths of tribulations and struggles to accomplish her goals!

CONCLUSION

Nevertheless, JJJK has be a massive delight! It's excelling in almost everything it needs to. It doesn't bring much new to the table, but it's insanely consistent and most importantly entertaining! At this rate, I can see myself giving jujutsu kaisen a 10/10, and I will most definitely reading the manga once the anime ends! Thank you Gege Akatumi for being such a progressive leader in shounen jump!

It's nice to see that the female characters in jjk are beings with actual desires and goals. And not just there for fanservice.

Maki best girl tho.