Character Discussion Yamato and Momonosuke - burdened by the inherited wills passed down through their fathers.

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
hi guys! this is the first time im working on a thread like this so i apologize in advance for any mistakes i make.

i made this thread to talk about the parallels between their characters and the burden they both face with inheriting the will of their parents. this contains a fair bit of character discussion and speculation.

firstly i don't think its a mere coincidence that the son of kozuki oden is a "dragon" like kaido and the son of kaido is an "oden". also momonosuke has proclaimed his will to eventually become the shogun of wano, while yamato (who is also 28 btw the same age as momonosuke if he wasn't sent ahead in time) has proclaimed his will of being like "oden" - the one who was free from the shackles of his country & father and who explored the entire world on a grand adventure, sailing on the ship of whitebeard and gol d roger. what's curious is yamato's struggle between his dream and what his father intends for him and, as we clearly see, how momonosuke has been struggling to keep up with his larger than life father's legacy and will that he left to inherit - opening the borders of wano.

oden for all his greatness - wasn't there for his country when it needed him. he instead chose to go on his final adventure to laugh tale with roger. so in a way he "failed" to inherit his father's will that he was "burdened with" - of becoming the shogun/protector of wano - despite doing his best to save many people as he could. this goes in line with many of one piece's characters - luffy, ace, sanji, law, etc. all inheriting the wills of their father figures rather than their biological fathers. this ties in beautifully with the parallels b/w yamato and momo. if momonosuke trying to open wano's borders and become the shogun is part of accepting oden's will then yamato rejecting kaido's will can be seen as a part of oden as well, with him rejecting sukiyaki's will. this also makes sense with him fighting kaido at the rooftop - him outright rejecting his will and showing that he would rather die than stay locked up in such a closed country. also, it is very interesting that momo has been on this grand adventure with luffy & co to eventually save his home country, while yamato who's dream is to do the same, is kept locked up in his father's castle.

whether the raid fails this time or not, i see this arc ending finally with yamato and momonosuke freely allowing the other person to inherit their father's will in their place - momonosuke becoming the shogun of wano (what kaido intended for yamato) and yamato joining the strawhats on their grand adventure to laugh tale (being "oden" - the man who freed himself from the shackles of his birth to explore the world).

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
Agreed, I don’t get why people are so obsessed with Momo joining the Straw Hats. One Piece is mostly about kids not following their parents path. Momo joining the Straw Hats goes against that
exactly. i still stand by my theory that momo will stay in wano and eventually lead wano's forces in the final battle, while yamato travels with the crew to laugh tale.

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
That's how I see It happening. The only kid that can possibly become a Mugi is Tama.
this would tie in with luffy inheriting the remnants of ace's will as well. with him taking tama and yamato on the adventure. tama is already close with chopper, usopp and nami and she'll be part of the weak group. i also definitely see the gifters that she fed her dangos to joining luffy's grandfleet for the final war.