Manga Discussion Yu Yu Hakusho

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Favorite character - Kuwabara, Hiei is a very close second.
Arc - don’t recall the name, when they went to fight those fuckers in the tower to save Hiei’s sister?
Fight - Yusuke vs the younger Toguro brother, some truly epic moments therein
Villain - Toguros, although the big three demons in the last arc were really cool.

I need to reread this series very soon, that’s my main takeaway here.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Favorite character - Kuwabara, Hiei is a very close second.
Arc - don’t recall the name, when they went to fight those fuckers in the tower to save Hiei’s sister?
Fight - Yusuke vs the younger Toguro brother, some truly epic moments therein
Villain - Toguros, although the big three demons in the last arc were really cool.

I need to reread this series very soon, that’s my main takeaway here.
It's an awesome series. I love the manga, but I have deep fondness for the anime as that's the version I grew up with. Hiei's my personal favorite, and Kuwabara's great too. The main cast is very well balanced. Toguro is one of the all time greatest anime/manga villains.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
It's an awesome series. I love the manga, but I have deep fondness for the anime as that's the version I grew up with. Hiei's my personal favorite, and Kuwabara's great too. The main cast is very well balanced. Toguro is one of the all time greatest anime/manga villains.
Still not remembering many names, but the old woman who mentored Yusuke was a better “wizened old sage who bestows power upon the main character” type than Roshi in Dragonball or damn near any other comparable character. I thought she was so badass fighting in that tournament, and her last fight against Toguro was, for me, the most emotional scene in the series outside of Yusuke’s death at the beginning.

Bogard

You can't win
-Favorite character: (Yoko) Kurama, always loved his abilities, outfit, personality(especially Yoko), and had a badass soundtrack in almost every Yoko appearance

-Arc: Dark Tournament Saga, the competition, abilities, cooperations, evilness, everything was off-the-chart during this tournament

-Fight: Hmm there are quite many i liked, Yusuke vs Toguro, Hiei/Kurama vs Shigure

-Villain: Toguro once again, the threatening atmosphere during that tournament was off-the-chart, especially after what happened to Genkai

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Still not remembering many names, but the old woman who mentored Yusuke was a better “wizened old sage who bestows power upon the main character” type than Roshi in Dragonball or damn near any other comparable character. I thought she was so badass fighting in that tournament, and her last fight against Toguro was, for me, the most emotional scene in the series outside of Yusuke’s death at the beginning.
You mean Genkai? Yup, she's amazing because she's not just a mentor character, but a character with their own arc and conflicts. Her dynamic with Yusuke is very endearing because she did more than just train Yusuke, but helped him mature as a person. Toguro works as a foil for Yusuke because he represents a side of Yusuke who would've become obsessed with power and impression over what mattered most; those who care for him. And Yusuke in turn helped Genkai to grow as well, giving her a reason to care for something once more before she passed away. One of my favorite bits from the manga which didn't make it to the anime is when she passed down her temple to Yusuke and co. Genkai at the start of the series would've never done that.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
You mean Genkai? Yup, she's amazing because she's not just a mentor character, but a character with their own arc and conflicts. Her dynamic with Yusuke is very endearing because she did more than just train Yusuke, but helped him mature as a person. Toguro works a foil for Yusuke as he represents a side of Yusuke who would've become obsessed with power and impression over what mattered most; those who care for him. And Yusuke in turn helped Genkai to grow as well, giving her a reason to care for something once more before she passed away. One of my favorite bits from the manga which didn't make it to the anime is when she passed down her temple to Yusuke and co. Genkai at the start of the series would've never done that.
Fuck, GENKAI is her name! You hit the nail on the head, they both improved each other instead of just having a rote teacher-student relationship.

A bit more on Hiei - in a similar vein, he wasn’t like a lot of shonen villains...yeah, he was antagonistic at first and softened up as time passed, but from the start (even if we didn’t know it then), his main objective was to find Yukina (THAT name I somehow retained just fine) and keep her safe. He was three-dimensional from the top, unlike Vegeta/others who were coerced into heroism.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Fuck, GENKAI is her name! You hit the nail on the head, they both improved each other instead of just having a rote teacher-student relationship.

A bit more on Hiei - in a similar vein, he wasn’t like a lot of shonen villains...yeah, he was antagonistic at first and softened up as time passed, but from the start (even if we didn’t know it then), his main objective was to find Yukina (THAT name I somehow retained just fine) and keep her safe. He was three-dimensional from the top, unlike Vegeta/others who were coerced into heroism.
You nailed my cute boy Hiei. Even though he wasn't intended as a protagonist, Togashi did a great job of contextualizing his character for future set ups. He was a demon who knew nothing but death and abandonment. His sister being the only thing tying him to something more. His growing respect for Yusuke is touching as well, even though he tries not to admit to it.

-Favorite character: Yusuke - I find it hard to get into a series if the main character isn't my favourite but Yusuke is awesome thankfully :)
-Arc: Dark Tournament - I love tournaments, tournamnet arcs usually always wind up being my favourites if they're in a series.
-Fight: Yusuke vs. Younger Toguro or Hiei, Kuwabara & Kurama vs. Sensui
-Villain: Sensui - I liked him being a spirit detective being corrupted by everything he'd seen and experienced.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
-Favorite character: Yusuke - I find it hard to get into a series if the main character isn't my favourite but Yusuke is awesome thankfully :)
-Arc: Dark Tournament - I love tournaments, tournamnet arcs usually always wind up being my favourites if they're in a series.
-Fight: Yusuke vs. Younger Toguro or Hiei, Kuwabara & Kurama vs. Sensui
-Villain: Sensui - I liked him being a spirit detective being corrupted by everything he'd seen and experienced.
Sensui was a GREAT villain, and the parallels between him and Yusuke added a deeper meaning to their eventual clash. I thought his death was handled really well, and that preceding battle where Yusuke accessed his true demon powers...woof, what a fight!