Character Discussion Sanji's Immense Will

Sanji will is weak, his ambition is weak

Someone with true ambition like Luffy and Zoro would never cry saying they achieve their goals before achieving them, even if Luffy screams a lot about how he is going to be the pirate king he always says "i am GOING to be pirate king" and Zoro when gloating says "I am the man DESTINED to become WSS" they never belittle their own ambition and dream like this. This is what separates true conquerors from others...

Sanji had a strong will as a kid? please...he ran away from home in tears, he was weak to stand up to his brothers...
And you know the funniest of them all? Sanji’s father, while being a disgusting human being, was always right about Sanji :D He is a waste of air.
Whathever he does, he screws up and becomes a laughingstock. In real life, and in OP world too, there is no place for those people.
At the end of the journey, he will open a second rate worthless restaurant and j*** off to three eyed freaks, that is who he is.

Disagree. You are making the same mistake that Uruge did. He also thought Zoro's captain must have tamed him (basically what Kaido does to his crew) with brute force or superior willpower. Zoro placing Luffy's dream over his life has nothing to do with Luffy having more willpower.

Nevertheless, Sanji owes us something extraordinary for his TB moment. He will not get CoC and wont fight King though:kayneshrug:

Oh come on now :milaugh:

You guys will clearly agree when Urouge thinks Zoro is the First Mate. Clearly agree when he hypes up Zoro. But then when he talks about how that reflects on Luffy suddenly Urouge is no longer reliable ? :milaugh:

Luffy did indeed "tame" Zoro. Not through brute force, but by in time showing Zoro that he is someone Zoro would be happy to follow. That's why there's a clear difference between the Zoro who only thought about his dream, and the Zoro's who's willing to sacrifice his dream for Luffy's sake.

Look, Luffy is obviously build to have the greatest ambition in the whole manga. He will become the Pirate King and end up having the strongest CoC and greatest CoC feats in the whole manga.

Even just the fact that out of the M3 he's the one who's specialty is CoC should be enough to make anyone admit he will shine more than the others in that regard.

Personally i like Zoro more than Luffy so i'm not a fan of picking Luffy's side here, but there's no other way around it if we want to keep it honest.

great thread chrono perhaps he does have a strong will, issue is for people who will say no is the inevitable comparison
to two others in the monster trio

but this is also a strong will

if people look at this without that comparison to the other two
candies aint wrong
:quest:
Zeff basically confirmed that Sanji has CoC like Luffy and Zoro

And that he will eventually awaken it as well if he no longer holds himself back by staying at Baratie

:finally:

His whole arc in Baratie was about getting back the determination to travel the Grand Line in search of the All-Blue as he'd held himself back for Zeff's sake (trying to repay him for everything he lost due to Sanji) and it's made clear that by leaving, he's following his dreams and no longer restraining himself for Zeff.

Sanji's shown his will throughout the series. Regardless of the situation he won't hit a woman and that may seem dumb, he might be a simp or whatever you wanna call him but to risk his life over his values already shows his will.

We learn that he doesn't kick women as he was raised not to and throughout Whole Cake, it's made clear that Sanji will do anything for Zeff and to be someone Zeff takes pride in, regardless of the situation and the fact he isn't around to see Sanji. The whole arc is basically to reaffirm all of Sanji's core values and the Germa are there mainly to contrast with Sanji and to act as obstacles to him maintaining his values. They're everything Sanji despises and he makes sure never to be like them as it would leave Zeff, his actual father, disappointed in him.

He was willing to die for Zeff back at the Baratie and as far as his own dream goes, Sanji continued to believe in the All-Blue despite pretty much everyone he met belittling his dream and saying it doesn't exist. He was willing to try and fight the invading pirates just for a chance to survive and he attempted to steal Zeff's food for the same reason,
he still wanted to live and accomplish his dream.

Sanji saying he found his All-Blue in a gag scene at Fishman Island doesn't really prove he doesn't care about his dream because he didn't chose the mermaids over the All-Blue. He chose relaxing with the mermaids over not relaxing with the mermaids. He didn't throw a map to the All-Blue away or anything. He simply joked that this was what he always wanted and yes, he takes it too far, but how does that affect his actual dream? He didn't give anything up. People want to compare him to others and say 'x would never say that,' well Sanji's not x, he can be goofy at times but the Baratie arc made clear his passion for cooking and his determination in finding that sea.

In series, we don't get moments often of Sanji proclaiming his dream because the All-Blue is such a mythical place and it's not as simple as him saying he'll find it. He doesn't even know where it is yet it's importance is made clear since it's not only his dream but it was Zeff's as well. Sanji acknowledges at the Baratie that he took everything from Zeff including his leg and his ability to be a pirate and search for the All-Blue on his own and Zeff even tells Sanji to go find the All-Blue when he's older but he doesn't leave until he's replayed Zeff for everything. He comes to realise that there isn't as much use in him spending his life at the Baratie after Zeff tells him not to stifle his 'spear,' for no reason so he heads out with Luffy and the crew. He only held himself back for Zeff.

Personally, I think Sanji's will is pretty strong, especially in regards to Zeff and him wanting to live a life that would make Zeff proud hence he maintains his values regardless of the situation.

I don’t think Sanji’s willpower or ambition stands out in any way among the Strawhats. That doesn’t mean it’s weak, its not, but it’s nothing overly special among the crew- and he has canonically gave up on his dream more than any of the others.

Like, everything Brook does is purely to fulfil a seemingly impossible promise he made fifty years because he does not believe a man should go back on his word. That’s just as extraordinary as anything Sanji’s done. Robin lived alone and despised for twenty odd years, from when she was a child, to achieve the dream of her genocided people, a genocide she lived through. All of Usopp’s life a constant struggle between his natural cowardice and his willpower to push himself on and become a stronger man. I’d actually say in his own way Ussop is the most extraordinary of the bunch, because he doesn’t have the unshakeable self-confidence of Luffy and Zoro or their fighting ability, and he still pushes himself on regardless. That’s why I’ve got him getting CoC on Elbaf while I’m still not sure Sanji ever will.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Immense is a big word.

He wasn't even totally hellbent with his dreams all the time and felt shaky in various occasions.
You know why this statement is doodoo?
If you've read Green Latern stories (Hal Jordan ones), you would know that sometimes getting down or whatever does not mean shit about someone's will.

That's why I dont like one dimensional characters with "no flaws".
Boring ass shit not relatable in a human being level at all.
Post automatically merged:

Moments of "getting down" and "getting back up" are the bread and butter of "strong willed characters".
It's not something original or anything.
Which is even more impressive that people still fails to see.
But is still hilarious seeing some "but if you falter you will never be able to be something ever again" BS.
:pepelit:

You know why this statement is doodoo?
If you've read Green Latern stories (Hal Jordan ones), you would know that sometimes getting down or whatever does not mean shit about someone's will.

That's why I dont like one dimensional characters with "no flaws".
Boring ass shit not relatable in a human being level at all.
Post automatically merged:

Moments of "getting down" and "getting back up" are the bread and butter of "strong willed characters".
It's not something original or anything.
Which is even more impressive that people still fails to see.
But is still hilarious seeing some "but if you falter you will never be able to be something ever again" BS.
:pepelit:
The truth is one I'm sorry :cheers: And it's the one I spoke

You gotta be kidding me. Sanji, who gave up on his nakama, didn’t believe in Luffy and placed his faith in Big Mom and Pudding, is strong willed?
Gave up on his nakama ? Like he had a choice. They fucking had gun pointed at Zeff's head in the Baratie. What the hell do you expect him to do.
Oda shits on his dream every chance he gets and his simp complex makes him too weak willed to fight anyone with a vagina. This dude could not even muster the will to save everyone in WCI by poisoning the cake, legit could’ve ended the arc right then and there but nope he’s too much of a slave to his misguided, sexist and outdated principles. Strong willed my ass.
Sanji not abandoing his morals /=/ weak will.

Last edited:
I don’t think Sanji’s willpower or ambition stands out in any way among the Strawhats. That doesn’t mean it’s weak, its not, but it’s nothing overly special among the crew- and he has canonically gave up on his dream more than any of the others.

Like, everything Brook does is purely to fulfil a seemingly impossible promise he made fifty years because he does not believe a man should go back on his word. That’s just as extraordinary as anything Sanji’s done. Robin lived alone and despised for twenty odd years, from when she was a child, to achieve the dream of her genocided people, a genocide she lived through. All of Usopp’s life a constant struggle between his natural cowardice and his willpower to push himself on and become a stronger man. I’d actually say in his own way Ussop is the most extraordinary of the bunch, because he doesn’t have the unshakeable self-confidence of Luffy and Zoro or their fighting ability, and he still pushes himself on regardless. That’s why I’ve got him getting CoC on Elbaf while I’m still not sure Sanji ever will.
According to his criteria, Chopper's willpower is superior to that of Luffy, since Chopper seeks something that is much more impossible (cure of all diseases) than finding one piece, which everyone already knows exists

In fact, what made Sanji's willpower stand out above other members of the crew is the fateful fight against Kuma.
Kuma prepared an attack to knock everyone out, but in the end, Zoro and Sanji were the only ones standing who wanted to sacrifice themselves for Luffy's dream
Even though in the end the sacrifice was not Sanji's, Oda still made a point of mentioning in several panels how Sanji's attempt to sacrifice was important and symbolic for the people who saw it (Look at @Kuro Ashi post)

Yes, so Sanji not abandoing his morals /=/ weak will.
I droppp lol, now being true to your principles is a demonstration of not having willpower lmfao

BREAK NEWS.
LUFFY LOST HIS ABILITY TO USE COC BECAUSE HE ASKED FOR HELP.

Yes yes.
Asking for help disqualify people for having CoC or whatever.
That's why I say that it is even funnier when people actually believe in these nonsenses :lulz:
The situation was not the same and you know it

Luffy went there to help Sanji, not the other way around, but Sanji as the loser he is betrayed his captain as he had no faith they could possibly oppose his family and the big meme.

Ont he other pannel Sanji was capured by fodder and couldnt escape because he was too weak to surpass his mother complex. Imagine Luffy giving up his dream and accepting defeat because he couldnt hit big mom because she is a woman.
:lulz::lulz::lulz::lulz:
Like he had a choice. They fucking had gun pointed at Zeff's head in the Baratie.
No they did not, they where not even in the east blue. And even if that was the case, the rooftop 5 had to fight 2 yonkos because of him, and where was he to take responsability for causing that mess? captured by fodder and making himself a joke for the entire island to hear, all because he wanted to play he hero inside enemy territory like the stupid simp that he is....And he is weak enough to the point where he cant even take responsability for his own mess, cant even get out of there alone.

If an incompetent asshat like this ever get CoC then any incompetent idiot can get it, might as well give it to Orochi, at least he has more ambition than the shitty cook.
:kayneshrug:

great thread chrono perhaps he does have a strong will, issue is for people who will say no is the inevitable comparison
to two others in the monster trio

I was coming in to post this because of course, I followed the series chronologically. So when ambition became a real thing, this was what retroactively established my impression of Sanji. WCI doubled down on this. I like him and I'm glad there is a complex discussion on him because he is a very complex character (moreso than Luffy or Zoro)... but he's not a conqueror.