Well, since I've already brought this up in another thread about Oda simply copying things from other stories–which you can find it here...
Well, in terms of personal experience I've seen some Japanese movies (usually the old ones) and I've seen and to an extent studied Japanese/eastern literature. Many things that people give credit to Oda as if he was the one who came up with that, actually were created by other Japanese and some times even western writers. For example characters...

Oda's best character designs are actually straight up copied from other sources, Oda doesn't just take his inspirations from them, he straight up copies them with small changes. And it's not just the digsain, Oda also copies Their personalities. For example the Admirals...

In case of Admirals Oda simply took already designed, written and popular in Japan (well, amongst older generation) characters and put them into his story.

Go watch the original Zatoichi movie and you'll see that Zatoichi is, actually, Fujitora himself. Oda didn't change anything, like literally anything; he simply took already well established existing character from another story and put him into one piece. In the west it would have been highly criticized, but I guess you can do that in Japan, the same goes for Akainu and Kizaru. But it's not just characters that Oda copies, he also copies an entire plot devices...

The entire "celestial dragon stuff" was copied from an old movie. Btw, I'm warning everyone to not watch this movie cuz you'll get a lot of spoilers, and please🙏 don't make theories based on this stuff.

When it comes to history, then in that case Japanese have a rich folklore that is essentially the Wano arc. Wano arc is the result of Japanese 3000 year old history filled with Oda's stupid decisions.
I've decided to continue with this here...