Questions & Mysteries Why did Oda throw away Jack?

Honestly I've started to just accept that Jack's role (and Peros) were always secondary to the main plot and to let non-MC's them. It's a way to:

- Narratively close plotlines (Zou and Pedro)
- Give secondary characters objectives and meaning

Without making it seem like the MCs are God's who handle everything. Point in case, this was how many Doflamingo family members were handled, including Diamante, so I didn't really feel super disappointed by what happened to Jack/Peros.

What does bother me though in the end is the lack of growth for many Strawhats so far. Sure, Nami and Robin got powerups, that's fine. Their fights were as I've expected them (Nami's fights have never been exactly...good). But the weirdest thing is how Usopp was entirely embarrassing as a fighter and Brook/Chopper never got anything outside of being secondary players on their fights against Black Maria and Queen respectively. Then you have Jinbe/Franky, who absolutely demolished their opponents. Why?

I'm "hoping" that answer is BMs crew in a few chapters, but we are nearing a point where it would be very surprising if Zoro/Sanji don't win soon, so it needs to happen moderately quickly then

Last edited:
Honestly I've started to just accept that Jack's role (and Peros) were always secondary to the main plot and to let non-MC's them. It's a way to:

- Narratively close plotlines (Zou and Pedro)
- Give secondary characters objectives and meaning

Without making it seem like the MCs are God's who handle everything. Point in case, this was how many Doflamingo family members were handled, including Diamante, so I didn't really feel super disappointed by what happened to Jack/Peros.

What does bother me though in the end is the lack of growth for many Strawhats so far. Sure, Nami and Robin got powerups, that's fine. Their fights were as I've expected them (Nami's fights have never been exactly...good). But the weirdest thing is how Usopp was entirely embarrassing as a fighter and Brook/Chopper never got anything outside of being secondary players on their fights against Black Maria and Queen respectively. Then you have Jinbe/Franky, who absolutely demolished their opponents. Why?

I'm "hoping" that answer is BMs crew in a few chapters, but we are nearing a point where it would be very surprising if Zoro/Sanji don't win soon, so it needs to happen moderately quickly then
I was fine with what happened to Peros.

Peros actually fought a pretty decent variety of opponents, and actually had an impact on battles, as well as possessing storybeats. He got to show off his powers and abilities.

Jack fought and lost to the same opponent twice without fighting or doing anything else of note. And this already an opponent that he'd fought previously.

Peros fighting Neko was at least a fresh match up as opposed to someone he'd already fought before.

He suffered from not being a Main Character opponent

Same reason to why in WCI Smoothie would have felt closer to Pero and Oven rather than Cracker and Katakuri if it wasn't for her bounty and title. Wait actually even in Wano she doesn't have a good Potrayal. Although Oda still has an opportunity to redeem her if he lets her defeat Lucci

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Jack served his purpose in Zou by establishing the tone of the beast Pirates and giving us a reason to dislike them.

By allowing Jack to routinely come back Pre-Wano from seemingly anything, Jack got the build up as a massive threat. Oda then used this to establish other characters as bigger and badder than Jack at his own expense. In this case, Ashura Doji, King, Queen and the Sulong Dukes.

After the Sulong Dukes wrecked him, his role in the story was finished. He suffers from the Warf effect and the only thing waiting for Jack was to conclude the Mink plot line.

Sad to say, but he just didn’t have any bigger part in the story.

I have no idea and I doubt anybody can make any sense out of it because it was an absolute mess from a writing standpoint; the way Oda handled these events feel like a sleep-deprived old man totally unable to order his ideas and execute them. Just think about it for a minute: you have a character that mutilated two people who had trouble at working together, and on top of that destroyed the country they ruled; and a second character you've introduced in the arc with his own agenda against the enemy alliance.

Now, in what creative mind the best choice to handle these plots is 1) have Inuarashi and Nekomamushi defeat Jack together but off-screen on the rooftop; 2) have Jack kind of recover only to be defeated again by Inuarashi, again, by a Sulong form that lost its impact already; and 3) turn Perospero into another disposable enemy instead of developing his plotting against the alliance and, if anything, being defeated by a combo of Carrot, Wanda and Sishilian.

Jack should have been either defeated on the rooftop for good, with a proper showdown against the sulong dukes, or later by the two of them fighting together. But Oda went for the worst option of all.