Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty enjoyable chapter. That was the longest action sequence I've seen in a flashback, which is not saying much but just fine for a legendary hour of war. I'll wait for the finale before finally looking back at the entire flashback.

I love this side of Kaido. He's not sitting back. He's not delegating the task of Wano to Orochi. Kaido himself got the information from the spy, he took the initiative and intercepted Oden. This time Kaido was the playmaker while Orochi sat back. It wouldn't surprise me if he personally ordered the old hag to come to the battlefield and distract Oden with a transformation as a back up plan. Kaido and Orochi have been cautious about the take over of Wano. They manipulated Oden, Sukiyaki and the Daimyos to make the takeover seem legitimate. They made a deal with Oden for 5 years to gather manpower and while Oden the fool loses his own support. Fighting all of Wano 5 years ago would have been too risky. This adds another level of pragmatism behind Kaido ordering SMILE and breaking the spirits of powerful subordinates, Kaido values his forces and I believe the Beast Pirates are more than a top-heavy pirate crew.

Quite peculiar how Kaido noticed that Oden was a changed man. The old Oden, the reckless barbarian who engaged in harem wars, would have declared war on Kaido and Orochi 5 years ago. Instead, he sought a more pacifist path and was willing to make a deal with Orochi. Kaido said this reflects soft-hearted pirates like Whitebeard and Roger who would try to avoid spilling innocent blood. This is Oden being changed by his pirate journey. Oden is not a solo bachelor anymore, he's a family man, he's the ruler of Kuri, he has a band of loyal retainers, and most importantly he has experience being outside of Wano. Even Orochi thought he was a crazy man that was going to kill him last chapter, but Oden snapped out of it and decided to talk. This new Oden was cleverly exploited by Orochi and Kaido and made into a fool, classic trope about how being kindhearted makes you weak and naive.

Oden vs Kaido looked like a Marineford-style battle clash. Showing your back to the opponent for one instance can cost you the fight. Marco got cuffed, Jozu got frozen, Akainu got floored (though he immediately retaliated from a quake punch, what a legend). It'll be interesting to see how the Fire Festival goes knowing that every major Beast Pirate has no qualms about playing dirty. Jack resorted to a gas weapon. Queen got up and headbutted Big Mom when she wasn't looking. King backstabs Ashura, a guy that probably didn't need to be backstabbed. Kaido has the old hag as insurance against Oden. And Orochi is the worst one of them all. There are no saintly Whitebeard Pirates. There are no honorable Marines. This battlefield will full of crummy, scheming, underhanded Beast Pirates.

The traitor plot remains blown wide open again. Kaido reaffirms the spy exists, and they were at it since 20 years ago at least. Shinobu is no longer in the running for me. She really has no personal beef with Oden, she idolizes the Kokuzi, Oden saved her from execution already. She knows the deal Oden clowned for 5 years for and will likely be the one to reveal it to the readers. But none of the Scabbards has still managed to stand out, this traitor plot is one of the hardest mysteries I've seen in any arc subplot. They all fought Orochi and Kaido's forces and got sentenced to boiling. Surely the traitor will be released before the others get killed? Or are they happy to die with Oden, is their righteous crusade against their lord even worth giving up their life? I'm genuinely dumbfounded and this is a good thing.

Next chapter I expect another action sequence in Oden saving his Scabbards, but I doubt he will have access to his swords and threaten Kaido again. Wano is still not crying for Oden, he's just the buffoon that got his act together too late. How does he inspire their minds 20 years later then? Scarring Kaido is legendary, but I think next chapter will be Oden's finest hour.

J

Jo_Ndule

Good chapter even tho I would love for Oda to expand a bit much on the fight :lusalty:
So it seems that the traitor existed since Oden was alive...I really wonder who that is:zorothink:

Oden was really impressive as expected but that did not downplay Kaido in anyway imo. As I said in the spoiler thread Kaido is a Pirate, he does not care about cheap shoting his opponents, he only care about winning :specialmeh:

I also love the characterization of Kaido in this chapter. His monologue proves that he is not just a brute:
-He is able to understand the psychology of his enemies (what he said about Oden, Roger and WB)
-He is able to estimate the strength of his army and act accordingly to seek victory. Even if that means lying to his opponents

I think that if he is friend with Orochi it is because their share the same twisted mind:smart::smart:

Note also that this chapter hype the Wano samurais (Kaido himself said that the combine strength of Oden + his men and Hyogoro + his men would have been difficult to deal with) and also prove that Sakazuki concern about Wano was legitimate:akaman:
It also prove that prime Hyogoro was a beast and that, in the one piece world, losing your will to fight can affect your mind, your body and your strength more than what I thought:yasu::yasu:
Which makes me wonder how strong prime Yasuie and prime Moria was:memehm:

Speaking of Moria he received a decent amount of hype this chapter. I get why the WG took him as a Shishibukai :kizabat:

I’m sad that the flashback is ending because I’m really fond of Oden’s character:doffycry::doffycry:

2 last things:

- NO Enma is not a magic sword :denzimote::kawak::leohah:

and

-YES Zoro has the same level of haki then Oden:lumazed::lunazing::steef::arnoling:
Moriah wasnt hyped in this chapter tho.

Enma still got the the legendary hype not ame hakibara, despite both swords being used by Oden.

Prime Hyou is Top high tier or even inbetweener.

Sade

Berserk
Honestly this should have been "The Chapter " of the flashback, Oda should have focused more on Kaido Vs Oden and make it more emotional.

Also please stop using this fuck**ing annoying plot device like the Old Grandma ( again ) using Momo as Hostage, probably done in order to not draw more than 2 pages of fight.

J

Jo_Ndule

Honestly this should have been "The Chapter " of the flashback, Oda should have focused more on Kaido Vs Oden and make it more emotional.

Also please stop using this fuck**ing annoying plot device like the Old Grandma ( again ) using Momo as Hostage, probably done in order to not draw more than 2 pages of fight.
:suresure: Shanks vs Teach 1 page max
The rest will be narrator boxes

Then we get Teach playing dirty, shanks loses

Good chapter even tho I would love for Oda to expand a bit much on the fight
So it seems that the traitor existed since Oden was alive...I really wonder who that is:zorothink:

Oden was really impressive as expected but that did not downplay Kaido in anyway imo. As I said in the spoiler thread Kaido is a Pirate, he does not care about cheap shoting his opponents, he only care about winning :specialmeh:

I also love the characterization of Kaido in this chapter. His monologue proves that he is not just a brute:
-He is able to understand the psychology of his enemies (what he said about Oden, Roger and WB)
-He is able to estimate the strength of his army and act accordingly to seek victory. Even if that means lying to his opponents

I think that if he is friend with Orochi it is because their share the same twisted mind:smart::smart:

Note also that this chapter hype the Wano samurais (Kaido himself said that the combine strength of Oden + his men and Hyogoro + his men would have been difficult to deal with) and also prove that Sakazuki concern about Wano was legitimate:akaman:
It also prove that prime Hyogoro was a beast and that, in the one piece world, losing your will to fight can affect your mind, your body and your strength more than what I thought
Which makes me wonder how strong prime Yasuie and prime Moria was:memehm:

Speaking of Moria he received a decent amount of hype this chapter. I get why the WG took him as a Shishibukai :kizabat:

I’m sad that the flashback is ending because I’m really fond of Oden’s character:doffycry::doffycry:

2 last things:

- NO Enma is not a magic sword :denzimote::kawak::leohah:

and

-YES Zoro has the same level of haki then Oden:lumazed::lunazing::steef::arnoling:
you are a beacon of hope.

If the actual translation also turns out the same, y'all were Downplaying Kaidou for nothing.

Ofcrs fooling Oden to weaken his forces and gain allies was smart thing to do, so i dont get the bashing. Instead Oden should be bashed for being so stupid. It doesn't make sense for him to abondon his country for 5 more years, based on a promise from untrustworthy scum like Orochi.

Kaidou only talked bout numbers, not Oden strength. He realised the battle 5 years ago would have costed his side a lot more if they didn't weaken the Samurai trust in Oden.

As for Oden cutting Kaidou, kudos to him for bypassing his scales. But it was full Zoan df Kaidou nevertheless. Luffy also managed to Knock him out of that form with G3 attacks, and Oda smartly skipped showing off Kaidou abilities, making Oden defeat somewhat heroic(due to Momonosuke trick from Old Granny). But it doesn't mean Kaidou would have lost otherwise.
One hit from Kaidou was enough to take out Oden and he also has his hybrid form, as a Wild Card which he is yet to showcase us. Also 20 years, he obviously grow stronger in.

As for the chapter, mediocre one. Wants the flashback to end as early as possible.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
The chapter is without a doubt making the Dragon mode look weak and incompetent again.

Oden's durability is not bad, but not enough. He was one-shotted by a swing of Kaido's club that should be weaker than the one Luffy received just because THAT Kaido is stronger
Great chapter though I would have preferred if Oden scarred humanoid Kaido, it would have been more epic. I thought the fight between Oden and Kaido was also too short imo.
This chapters also tease again the presence of a traitor among Oden's followers.
It's a little bit meh that Kaido received his only scar in his beast form and that the fight was so short.
Humiliated Dragon Kaido
Please even g3 did that to current Kaido.
Post automatically merged:

Head on wont make Oden endurance better unless he blocks
A clean strike will still K.O him

It's like saying WB can't damage Akainu badly coz he landed a sneak attack, guess what? WB landed a fair strike and Akainu got damaged even more than he was when WB landed a sneak attack.

So it's not about sneak attacks or head on.
If you cant tank a clean hit when offguard then you wont head on, unless you blocked
Dragon Kaido is more durable and stronger than base:
  • Luffy specifically mentioned getting past Kaido's scales during his advanced COA training.
  • Kaido planned an ambush for Oden and chose to meet him in his dragon form.
    • This meant his dragon form was his combat form of choice.
    • This same Kaido was wary of Oden's combat ability.
  • It makes no sense for Zoan forms to be weaker than the base forms.
  • G3 only hit a drunk Kaido.

Cutting Kaido in dragon form is more impressive than cutting him in base.

Speaking of Moria he received a decent amount of hype this chapter.
Chapter did not mention Moriah at all. Kaido losing most of his forces vs. Moriah was fake spoilers.

Last edited:
J

Jo_Ndule

Luffy Vs Katakuri "450 chapters", where Luffy magically has a better endurance than Kaido and Big Mom
:blobevil: Goku Luffy vs Katakuri many moves
Luffy vs Doffy, chinjao many moves
Luffy vs Holdem a normal fight...5 pages or more

Top tier battle ends in 2/3 moves in 2 pages max :milaugh:
Post automatically merged:

Dragon Kaido is more durable and stronger than base:
  • Luffy specifically mentioned getting past Kaido's scales during his advanced COA training.
  • Kaido planned an ambush for Oden and chose to meet him in his dragon form. This meant his dragon form was his combat form of choice.
  • This same Kaido was wary of Oden's combat ability.
  • It makes no sense for Zoan forms to be weaker than the base forms.
  • G3 only hit a drunk Kaido.

Cutting Kaido in dragon form is more impressive than cutting him in base.

Chapter did not mention Moriah at all. Kaido losing most of his forces vs. Moriah was fake spoilers.
Dragon Kaido is useless and crap 1 vs 1
Base Kaido has better feats than Dragon kaido.

Dragon Kaido sole purpose is fly, spam beams and get hit coz it's too slow for Kaido to react/doge

im afraid that till the end of the flashback (most probably next chapter) we'll still have ZERO idea what the hell was going through Oden's mind and his reasonings. It better be logical and impactful bcs nothing stops chaden 25 years ago. He had every bit of manpower to overwhelm Kaido and his still growing army. wdym "dont want nobody get hurt"?? thats disrespectful to wano's ppl pride as samurais, they will all gladly take part, esp being led by someone like Oden. Yet in the end they all regretted and Kinemon said "everybody had turn their backs on us" well WHO WOULDNT???
It also turns out, the spoiler yesterday misunderstood fake momo being hostage as "the reason why Oden dancing like a fool for 5 years":pepeke:

Status
Not open for further replies.