Powers & Abilities Expected a Lot more from King.

As a weekly reader these kind of fights are really underwhelming

You jump from a hype sanji chapter to a hype zoro chapter, this basically canceling the previous week's hype

I am still confused by how Oda handled it

KING doesnt have king's haki

THE PLAGUE who has an ice based virus didn't use it against someone who controls fire
Exactly bro Queen could have also used the virus on himself since it pretty much awakens the dormant potential one has.

Meanwhile King Could have had CoC inorder to give Zoro a run for his money.
Post automatically merged:

I'm now realizing King and Zoro had a ACoC clash on that chapter. Oda just didn't made King's ACoC impressive compared to Zoro's. Which is odd since King probably had better control of it.
If that were to happen Oda would have made it more blatant, I think he is reserving it for when Zodo actually Fights mihawk like Oda had it with Luffy and Kaido

It would be enthralling if King displayed CoC, that much I can suggest. :cheers:
Would be mad Hypee

And same for Sanji Vs Queen too
Yes Queen could have used the ice virus on himself, Got ragdolled by awakened Sanji

not Kings fault he was pitted against the Grandmaster.
That’s not my point lol.
He doesnt seem all that impressive with just the Lunarian backing.

:kobeha:
I’m not surprised by the posts in this thread considering the users all here.
I’m surprised tho, Surprised how at lacklustre King really was, Reason Why I made this thread in general tbh.
You can understand for Sanji vs Queen but it’s Zoro fights are the main crux of his character and he gives him this shallow dull fight over too soon lol

Last edited:
It was a great fight considering that Zoro fights tend to be lacking in coreography and last less chapters. This one was legit up there with Luffy vs Katakuri in terms of action, at least for me.

Beyond Oda's usual issues this arc with juggling too many characters and not letting them have more developed fights i don't think King was dissapointing at all. I think people just had these massive expectations from 2 chaptes ago that King would be using advanced CoC attacks left and right when the focus was on his lunarian lineage.

Personally I enjoyed the Zoro vs King fight, it helped Zoro grow in terms of welding Enma the same way Oden did and releasing Conqueror's haki on his blades.

The only negative aspect was how it only took Zoro figuring out that King's defences are weak when he is moving fast, for him to lose the fight. Luffy figured out Katakuri's future sight and he still regained composure, he brought out Snake man and he found a way around that.
At this point the only thing special about King is his lunarian abilities and devil fruit, whereas Katakuri had Future sight, good devil fruit, awakening and CoC.
also katakuri had heart and cared about his family. he also said more than 30 words and he also give a sense of thread. we though Luffy might be seriously injured like losing an eye or arm. he even knocked out one of Luffy's teeth.

I think that the Luffy vs Katakuri fight just set the bar too high. For what its worth, King was a pretty cool opponent for Zoro, but at the same time I definitely felt like King could have shown more.

From King's first introduction, with his epithet being the 'Wildfire' and him covering head to toe in leather, i thought that as a Lunarian his whole body would be on fire the whole time, which is why he needs to wear the suit in the first place- to not be a fire hazard when around others. That was a cool idea that i thought would have been a bit more interesting than simply revealing King to be dark skinned.

The story of the Lunarians could have been that their entire bodies can be releasing flames the whole time and is used as a defense mechanism against wild animals just like Pearl, but in a cruel twist of fate, that special ability that protects them is the reason why they are instead hunted down by the W.G and Celestial Dragons because of how special they are and their special fire abilities. Maybe they were used as fire performers, considering Queen at one point called King a 'show off'. Or maybe King was endlessly tortured by the Celestial Dragons for entertainment, knowing King's flames would always protect him, but would also leave permanent burning scars, so King wears the mask and suit to hide them.

Now knowing that King was a lab rat experimented on by the WG, when Zoro initially broke King's mask (his upper half), i thought that it would reveal a Celestial Dragon slave mark or something, instead it just ended up being a pretty tattoo that didn't mean anything.

The jacket that King wears is similar to Shiryu's uniform when he was still a warden of impel Down, so i thought that King was also a former warden of Impel down, forced by the WG to commit torture and executions on his own people of the Lunarian Race, to test the toughness of their fire defenses- it could help explain why Queen calls King a 'torture loving freak' and add more depth and nuance to King's character. Queen as a former government scientist like Vegapunk also experimented on King, just like how Vegapunk experimented on Kaido to create a copy of his dragon devil fruit, and that is where the animosity between King and Queen comes from, that King was a former lab rat experimented on by Queen to gain access to King's lineage factor of the special fire abilities of the Lunarian Race. King being the Angel of Death by killing/torturing his own people, to free/protect them from the enslavement and torture of the Celestial Dragons. It could have easily made King a more deeper and more complex character. Yet Oda doesn't bother to expand nor explain this in King's flashback and will most likely reveal it in a SBS or Vivre Card like he always does.

Also in my head canon, i thought that King and Kaido's relationship started by King as a warden of Impel Down, came across a torture resistant Kaido when Kaido was sent there after he was captured, who after was impressed by Kaido's physical strength and durability and toughness after personally tortured him, King freed Kaido and they escaped Impel Down together to form the Beast Pirates.

:kriwhat:

Knowing that he is the last of his race, i expected him to be a lot more older, can you believe that King is 47 years old?? He looks like he's still in his 20's.

With King's katana being specially designed to grab and dismantle swords, i thought that it meant that King has fought many swordsman in the past, and would be particularly well versed in Armament Haki, and would also have Advanced Armament Haki- making King a complementary to Katakuri who specialized in Advanced Observation Haki. It would have been a good difficulty for Zoro to overcome since the hardest things that Zoro has cut still remain to be Mr 1's steel and a Pacifista. Zoro cut Pica's stone in Dressrosa, so i thought it would have been cool if Oda gave Advanced Armament Haki to King and having Zoro learning to cut through it.

King's fire could also have been hot enough to melt Zoro's sword, bypassing Zoro's armament Haki and adding more pressure to Zoro's fight with King.

I still don't understand why King's toughness weakens when the fire is gone, but he somehow becomes faster without the fire? There was a theory going around before the chapter released that King was indeed taking damage, but he used his flames to cauterize the wound, so after using the fire his speed slows because of the burning pain. Basically it would go something like this:

King with fire: invulnerable to damage but slower due to burning pain from flames constantly cauterizing and healing his wounds, as well as expanding the energy needed to keep the flames burning

King without fire: able to move faster and more agile due to less pain, but also more vulnerable due to fire no longer available to cauterize his wounds and resisting from taking damage

So many great ideas on King's powers and his origins, but alas all we got was a native guy in a gimp suit.

Some scenes like Zoro's full frontal sword clash against King could have been better.

Like, wtf is happening here lol? Is Zoro blocking or parrying attacks? Is King kicking or swinging his sword? Like what?

I mean I can't really expect a good and fluid sword fight since it's Oda afterall.
But other than that, the fight was 11/10.:jordanmf:Love King's design. The dragon stuff was cool.

D

Deleted member 10278

This just establishes that Joker is Kaido's most important piece... Not only did King not show awakening but the highlight of his best attack is frying some fodders...
At this point I think Oda forgot about Zoan Awakening. Tho it’s not like it was that special to begin with, the fact that the only known use of it was shown through the Impel Down jailers getting enhanced endurance and recovery pretty much set bar very low.

Ngl Mingo is looking better for sure.

This just establishes that Joker is Kaido's most important piece... Not only did King not show awakening but the highlight of his best attack is frying some fodders...
I don't think people realize how EXTREMELY rare it is for a crew to have a CoC-using subordinate. Katakuri for example is being set up as BM's replacement. He would have told BM to fuck off if it wasn't for him wanting to protect/take care of his siblings.

Ace/Yamato were the chosen successors and kept telling their captains to fuck off for a long time. Only WB managed to get Ace under his crew. Kaido never managed to break Yamato's will.

Oden loved WB, but Whitebeard knew Oden wouldn't stick around long. The guy would get his own crew. You can't keep these people around long. Joker was Kaido's version of Oden: a CoC-using associate that went and did their own thing. Oda has referenced Joker as Kaido's "nakama" and associate, but ultimate he was just too driven/influential to be under Kaido's flag.

I don't think people realize how EXTREMELY rare it is for a crew to have a CoC-using subordinate. Katakuri for example is being set up as BM's replacement. He would have told BM to fuck off if it wasn't for him wanting to protect/take care of his siblings.

Ace/Yamato were the chosen successors and kept telling their captains to fuck off for a long time. Only WB managed to get Ace under his crew. Kaido never managed to break Yamato's will.

Oden loved WB, but Whitebeard knew Oden wouldn't stick around long. The guy would get his own crew. You can't keep these people around long. Joker was Kaido's version of Oden: a CoC-using associate that went and did their own thing. Oda has referenced Joker as Kaido's "nakama" and associate, but ultimate he was just too driven/influential to be under Kaido's flag.
Lol imagine WB calling Oden “a terrible weakling”

Its just my thinking maybe oda has difficulty in drawing long drawn sword battles especially with zoro.Sword fight takes lot of panels thats why we never got so samurai fights in wano.

If it was King vs Luffy it would have been 10+ chapter . There is lot of innovation with brawl fighting .

This might be case same with Shiryyu and Mihawk. I am sure fan reaction would be worse they would expect detailed fight which will not be the case.

Even though it makes me feel like a party pooper, i agree, to be honest, i expected both from Queen and King a lot more.

These were lackluster fights, no idea what people are seeing beyond blind fanaticism.
Fandom especially power trippers just read only for their favorite character.

Half of the time sanji and zoro fans dont read the story other than their favorites low or mid diffing and rub salt on forum.

To be fair i expected more but it seems like Oda has deadline to finish wano by 2022 . I feel he needs to take long break like 4 week hiatus and comeback .

Sorry, but calling this "blind fanaticism" is just stupid.
Zoro vs King was a great fight. King did deliver what you expect from YC1, his flames could reach the level of magma which in OP verse is above other flames and was able to put up a fight agains AdCoC going all out. I loved this one.

Queen spamming lasers that never hit anyone was hella boring, that's the thing that I didn't like at all. His best moments in my opinion are the Brachio based moves and chapter 1028. The Germa 66 attacks were ok and at least did hit Sanji, but I still missed a more intense exchange between them. Enjoyed this one, but far from a fave of mine.

Zoro vs King was a great fight. King did deliver what you expect from YC1, his flames could reach the level of magma which in OP verse is above other flames and was able to put up a fight agains AdCoC going all out. I loved this one.

Queen spamming lasers that never hit anyone was hella boring, that's the thing that I didn't like at all. His best moments in my opinion are the Brachio based moves and chapter 1028. The Germa 66 attacks were ok and at least did hit Sanji, but I still missed a more intense exchange between them. Enjoyed this one, but far from a fave of mine.
Oda hates Sanji . Probably he still feel angry towards Sanji's VA dating his wife .

Wow you really did have some lower expectations from King, no wonder you’re satisfied.

Haki's slowly killing what's left of the fun. What's supposed to be an integral aspect of combat is primarily used to make you "hit harder".

Oda should learn from Togashi how to provide a clear and consistent explanation for the mechanics of a certain ability instead of pulling unforeseen Jesus Haki abilities out of his butthole to give Luffy the advantage when he's appearing to lose a fight.