Manga Discussion Shaman King

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower

How many soul enthusiasts do we have in the house? Feel free to discuss all things SK here!

Taking a page out of my friend @KiriNigiri’s book here and kicking off the conversation with some favorites:
Character - Hao is obviously the MVP in several ways, but Anna has to be one of the most badass female characters in any shonen
Villain - Tao Ren takes it for me, he was so relentless in his pursuit of Yoh early on that I really thought he’d be the big baddie at the end of the whole thing
Arc - weird as it sounds, I really enjoyed Tokagero’s introduction not only for him as a character, but how he and Ryu ended up bonding (and awakening the latter’s latent powers), watching them for the rest of the series always brought an extra layer of levity that the subject material sometimes demanded
Fight - Yoh and Ren’s rematch :cr7:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Sorry if I can't contribute too much. I've only ever seen some 4kids episodes of the series here and there. However, I do associate it a lot with when I first discovered One Piece. Both from the 4kids dubs as well as Shonen Jump Advertisments I saw which featured Luffy and Yoh.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Sorry if I can't contribute too much. I've only ever seen some 4kids episodes of the series here and there. However, I do associate it a lot with when I first discovered One Piece. Both from the 4kids dubs as well as Shonen Jump Advertisments I saw which featured Luffy and Yoh.
4Kids fucked up even worse with SK than they did OP; totally ruined the dub by removing entire characters/plot lines, made the soundtrack as cheesy and childish as possible, and aired episodes so inconsistently that it’d be months before you saw a new one. The manga is stellar, can’t recommend that highly enough, but the anime was unassailably awful.

Wow Shaman King, this was one of my favourites 15 years ago. Sucks it never got it's proper ending released officially in english. Though I prefer the anime ending to the Kanzenban one.

Yoh and Ren were the best, Shaman King was awesome when it revolved aroudn those two as rivals and the rescue mission to save Ren was probably my favourite arc. Hao was so boring.

the best thing 4kids did for shaman king was probably give us the best english anime intro of all time, everything else about the dub was trash

Wow Shaman King, this was one of my favourites 15 years ago. Sucks it never got it's proper ending released officially in english. Though I prefer the anime ending to the Kanzenban one.

Yoh and Ren were the best, Shaman King was awesome when it revolved aroudn those two as rivals and the rescue mission to save Ren was probably my favourite arc. Hao was so boring.

the best thing 4kids did for shaman king was probably give us the best english anime intro of all time, everything else about the dub was trash
Damn this takes me back... now I’m hella old..

Oh man you're missing out on a lot - the 4kids skips about 100 chapters worth of content

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Ive only seen the anime but ive heard about this. Doesnt zeke win the tournament in the manga ?
Yes in the true ending for the Kanzenban Hao won.
Which is why i like the anime ending better becase
Yoh becomes the shaman king and cuts him in two.
Much more satisfying that way :)
I think they continued/somewhat finished the series with a follow up chapter(s) focusing on Yoh and Anna’s kid reuniting everybody with Ryu’s help, but I never actually checked it out...

Ive only seen the anime but ive heard about this. Doesnt zeke win the tournament in the manga ?
Yeah and his name is Hao not Zeke too

And SPOILER ALERT
Yoh, Lyserg, Ren, Usui and Chocolove all get the elemental spirits and become godly powerful

On top of that there's a spinoff - Shaman King Flowers - it was pretty cool but the publishers cancelled it about 3 arcs into the story

I think they continued/somewhat finished the series with a follow up chapter(s) focusing on Yoh and Anna’s kid reuniting everybody with Ryu’s help, but I never actually checked it out...
Nah it's actually not about that at all

The previous Shaman Kings were dissatisfied with Hao/Zeke, and all these previous Shaman Kings had to hand pick five Shamans to fight in a tournament. If Hao's team won, he would remain the Shaman King but if they lost he would abdicate the title. Hao's team includes Yoh's son (Hana) and Ren's son (Men) - Usui, Lyserg and Choco hadn't been reintegrated into the story yet

Also, point of interest, previous Shaman Kings include Buddha and Jesus
The others haven't been identified but they LOOK like Zeus, a Pharoah and Guru Nanak, there's 8 of them in total

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I remember back in 2019 or even 2018 there was this site that was announcing the return of the Shaman King or something like that. Do you know anything about this? Is this still a thing?
According to Wikipedia, there are three spinoff series running right now, one of which is being overseen or actually done by Hiroyuki Takei. Been thinking about trying to find a place to read those series, no luck so far. Can’t tell if they’re sequels or just set in the SK universe 😕

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
What do y’all think of Faust? He was SO dangerous in that first appearance (like when he fucking opened up Manta’s chest cavity while fighting Yoh), and still came off like a giant creep every other time he showed up, but he clearly loved Eliza and was incredibly powerful throughout.