Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 972: I’m Oden and I was Born to Boil

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oda surely knows how to deliver an emotional punch. Oden went down, but his comrades live on to carry out his will. Also Toki... she's kind of there I guess. Makes me wonder if there is a little more to the flashback that will be revealed later on. Glad the dumb citizens finally woke up though; too bad it's kind of late. Now they got 20 years worth of a bad time in front of them.

One thing I will say is I don't think Luffy is actually Joyboy. I think One Piece operates on the concept of inherited wills. Roger was also like Joyboy, but he lacked the resources to finish Joyboy's mission. Luffy's is following in Roger's footsteps, but I think if it wasn't Luffy then eventually someone else would come and take up the mantle. Roger kind of knew that and used it to inspire a generation of pirates to go after One Piece hoping that one of them (or his child) would succeed where he couldn't.

"If Joyboy is Zoro thats some Top Tier shit"
"Joyboy being Luffy is hella predictable"

:ihaha:

Is this guy for real ? Is this an actual argument for Zoro/Joyboy.

I acc cant with Zoro fans:mihanha:.

OT: This chapter just summarised Oden as a Gag character. Great....never took you seriously anyways.
Post automatically merged:

I don't know who you are interacting with, but they are not Zoro fans. Zoro fans don't care about Joyboy, they care about Ryuma.

This is why I don't like anybody claiming themselves as Zoro fans and then doing exactly opposite things.
No this is exactly Zoro fans. Not staying in their lane and jumping on something that is supposed to be for Luffy.

Zoro just keep being more toxic and disgusting the more they do stuff like this. They can't accept Oda already has MC that called Monkey D. Luffy who be given better portrayal always and will be against those who aren't. It's sad they can't admit fault and being so desperate on this to the point they want Zoro even stronger than Luffy his own captain when Oda already stated many times Luffy is and always will be strongest in the crew and in the series at the end :gokulaugh:.

So we’ve reached what appears to be the end of this flashback and Toki is still useless af. I didn’t think females in OP could get worse after the mess that was Big Meme but clearly I have been proven wrong. I have no idea what she sees in Oden, I have no idea how or why they fell in love and I don’t care that she’s finally showing a hint of emotion beyond ‘fufufu Oden san teehee~’. Truly an incredible feat to make a time-travelling, prophecy making woman uninteresting and stale. I’ve never seen anything quite like this in my life.
Hey... Goda san is the best writer in the world.:pepeanger:

Hey... Goda san is the best writer in the world.:pepeanger:
Honestly comparing females with other authors, he is actually one of the best to work with them. At least they do something and Oda doesn't put them weak or useless *Cough*, Kishimoto, *Cough*. Though a lot of authors don't put out much female spotlight as deep in manga/genre as 'deep' or at least not more popular ones, but there are still some who have done female characters justice still.

Honestly comparing females with other authors, he is actually one of the best to work with them. At least they do something and Oda doesn't put them weak or useless *Cough*, Kishimoto, *Cough*. Though a lot of authors don't put out much female spotlight as deep in manga/genre as 'deep' or at least not more popular ones, but there are still some who have done female characters justice still.
Nah Sakura is better than OP females. The reason everyone hates on her is because:

- She is obssesed with Sasuke
- And treats Naruto shitty

So is she unlikable ? Yes. But useless is a no no. She was very useful in the Fourth Ninja War. People expect her to be Naruto and Sasuke, but they gotta remember that she has always and will always be weaker. Though she deserces her props since she isnt from any strong clan.

But yh Oda is in Top writers to write females horribly.

Nah Sakura is better than OP females. The reason everyone hates on her is because:

So is she unlikable ? Yes. But useless is a no no. She was very useful in the Fourth Ninja War. People expect her to be Naruto and Sasuke, but they gotta remember that she has always and will always be weaker. Though she deserces her props since she isnt from any strong clan.

Not really, not much development, running gag of hitting others over stupid reasons and not try with Sasuke even once when she had chances, haven't beaten or have significant role in arcs since facing Sasori, and so. There is reason she is even worse and compare under even Yamcha of all series characters. Kishmoto ruined her character the worst along with side characters and so on. He made it too much Naruto and Sasuke and kinda damage his series. Being good in one arc won't erase past actions especially you did nothing much to help Naruto and Sasuke fighting OP God-like characters and bad writing in final arc to boot.

At least Nami and Robin can fight and be useful as shown in this arc and probably will have their major fights in Wano in this war against credible foes after a long time.

I don't like her because she has a flat chest
:kayneshrug:

Give me some Tsunade LOVE hahahaha

hmmm
hancock and big mom
are pretty decent.

An early chapter. Nice.

In all honesty, this chapter would have probably made more of an emotional impact had I been more invested in the character of Oden. This chapter and the massive flashback that preceded it, all hinged on Oden being someone I could care for as a reader. But, unfortunately that wasn’t the case.

Oden didn’t win me over. Oda didn’t quite hit the mark when it came to his portrayal. His outlandish intro making him to be this ‘larger than life figure’ – really soured me to no end. There was nothing wrong with Oden except being somewhat tactless and selfish. Which is classic ‘Gary Stu’ – where a near perfect character has a so-called flaw which isn’t really a flaw, but is actually a good thing. So that was a turn off from early on.

Him taking on the burdens of Wano by himself or him going off alone trusting in his own strength. All these are not flaws either. But Oden not trusting his Scabbards/friends/allies IS a flaw though, yet Oda will never have any character call him out on it. Not with the way things are now with the Scabbards and the people of Wano idolising and near-mythologising Oden.

Compounding it further Oda had Oden display an astounding lack of common sense, while having massive amounts of gullibility. So much so it took me out of the experience as a reader because it is something one simply cannot relate to. One doesn’t trust someone who is a proven liar who implied he killed your father, tried to kill your wife and fully intends to bring ruin to your family, friends and the entire nation.

A person would have to be clinically brain-damaged to keep on trusting Orochi without any kind of back-up plan. Which shows how lousy of a ‘classical’ Samurai Oden I really is. One would think since he is the son of the Shogun he’d have been taught and raised to be of the Samurai class. Which means studying and knowing proper manners and etiquette, martial arts, weapons, culture as well as military tactics and strategies. These guys would have memorised stuff like ‘The Art of War’ the way we’d memorise multiplication tables. But we get none of that really.

Oden is just presented as a tactless but strong swordsman. How I wish Oda had been somewhat more daring and presented Oden as the illegitimate child of Sukiyaki who was raised outside the palace instead. Perhaps he’s regarded as an untamed oni-child, raised in the wild. That certainly fits Oden more than ‘son of the Shogun’.

Due to having minimal interest in Oden and his plight, the flashback and this chapter didn’t really do much in terms of ‘hitting me in the feels’. The whole thing left me unmoved. The Law flashback with Rocinante’s death tugged at the heartstrings. In this instance I felt completely detached from everything that transpired. It doesn’t help that the guy is presented as a superhuman. With superhuman endurance and strength and gary-stuness dripping from every pore. I was bored by the extended, over-dramatic death scene. Sometimes keeping it simple is best.

The only time I felt a twinge of interest was during the Oden x Kaidou exchange. Oda decides to mitigate the damage to Kaidou’s earlier portrayal as someone who wants a fair one-on-one, by having him off-panel the Old Hag permanently. His tone changes and he starts addressing Oden somewhat more respectfully. Again, instead of the mocking laughter of before we get acknowledgment and Kaidou provides what in his mind, is a worthy death – by the hand of his enemy rather than dying by the boiling oil. Not going so far as to suggest that this was an 'honourable' thing in the traditional sense( some people seem to take umbrage at the idea that Kaidou is anything other than despicable scum) but he does operate by his own 'moral' code. This was somewhat diluted by the earlier chapters. Glad Oda reaffirms it again.

It’s also obvious that Oda has retconned what he’d written during Zou. Back then, Kinemon spoke of Kaidou and Orochi executing Oden because they wanted info on Raftel and One Piece. Now? That’s complete gone. I can imagine the reason being that Oda didn’t want the tragedy of Oden and Wano to be overshadowed by Raftel and One Piece. He wanted the focus to be all on the death of Oden and the impending doom of Wano. It doesn’t mean these matters won’t be addressed later on of course.

Also, looks like Momo was never present or saw Oden get boiled either. Would have been too much maybe to show on panel? Guess just hearing about it gave the kid major PTSD then.

There’s also a major foreshadowing hidden in plain sight which nobody has mentioned. This is better in the long run because if it happens it will be a nice surprise and if it doesn’t pan out, then no –one will be the wiser anyway. It’ll be another ‘what-if’ scenario.

The scans (which could be proven wrong in less than 24 hours) seems to heavily suggest that in Oden’s eyes, there will someday emerge a group of people who will take down Kaidou. This definitely makes the most sense. It somewhat explains the whole “If it’s one on one, Kaidou wins” which has been interpreted as a power-level thing and not as a thematic element. The flashback of Oden was a salutary lesson in having trust with one’s nakama/friends/crew rather than trying to take on the entire burden alone. At the very least Luffy and Zoro are definitely going to be involved and I have no issues with Zoro cutting/contributing to Kaidou’s defeat. There have been far too many hints already of that happening. Yet I also expect the other SH’s will also contribute in a major way.

All the discussion about JoyBoy, Chosen One and prophecies – it’s shonen what does one expect? Besides this was pretty much set up all the way back from chapter 100 anyway (as I can recall). The shame is that Dragon’s portrayal got downgraded from a mystical, robed prophet-like figure; to an office manager sitting at his desk doing paperwork and getting reports.

Oh yeah Lady Toki. Nothing to say about her since she really did nothing.

So we’ve reached what appears to be the end of this flashback and Toki is still useless af. I didn’t think females in OP could get worse after the mess that was Big Meme but clearly I have been proven wrong. I have no idea what she sees in Oden, I have no idea how or why they fell in love and I don’t care that she’s finally showing a hint of emotion beyond ‘fufufu Oden san teehee~’. Truly an incredible feat to make a time-travelling, prophecy making woman uninteresting and stale. I’ve never seen anything quite like this in my life.
There is obviously more to Toki and there is probably a reason Oda didn't reveal her purpose yet as it probably will have something to do with all this prophecies that we will get to know during the climax of the Arc not now.

As for the chapter, what an amazing ride! Oden was a man among man, really loved this flashback just wished some parts were more fleshed out (not the Toki ones). In the end the people of Wano get to back Oden again, this probably means that a WAR between WANO + SH ALLIANCE + SN vs Kaido and Big Mom will happen, there is a reason Oda placed so many weapons factories around Wano!

Not really, not much development, running gag of hitting others over stupid reasons and not try with Sasuke even once when she had chances, haven't beaten or have significant role in arcs since facing Sasori, and so. There is reason she is even worse and compare under even Yamcha of all series characters. Kishmoto ruined her character the worst along with side characters and so on. He made it too much Naruto and Sasuke and kinda damage his series. Being good in one arc won't erase past actions especially you did nothing much to help Naruto and Sasuke fighting OP God-like characters and bad writing in final arc to boot.

At least Nami and Robin can fight and be useful as shown in this arc and probably will have their major fights in Wano in this war against credible foes after a long time.
Come on man wtf have Nami and Robin even done this arc lmao. They havent taken out anyone. Nami was treated well in WCI tho. But generally Nami and Robin dont do shit other than fodder control. And the other OP females literally dont contribute to anything unless theyre a plot device.

hmmm
hancock and big mom
are pretty decent.
No

Status
Not open for further replies.