G

Gorosei Informer

Oden always valued his own ego too much. He had always been a larger than life personality. This is the whole point of his character.

Oden's travels laid the groundwork for the eventual liberation of Wano.
Albeit it might not have seemed that way during his time but rather the opposite.

Oden's seemingly selfish actions lead to the scabbards finally getting in a position where they can take action in their own right: gather necessary allies to make Wano's liberation a reality.

On the first look, Oden's behavior was responsible for Wano's misery.
On the second look, it was exactly the thing needed.

Orochi's and Kaido's rule is one thing. But the centuries-long 'winter' that Wano had been living in due to their isolation following the events of the void century would have never even gotten a chance of ending, had Oden not been the outlier that he was.

Oden's personality was special since the day he was born.
He was the accumulation of Wano's freedom spirit, and if you will 'pioneer' spirit, in an age that otherwise saw nothing but conforming, superstitious, hypocritical and spineless subordinate-type citizens.
He really is similar to Luffy and Roger and I'm sure Joyboy ofc when you think about it. No wonder Roger and even Whitebeard were so fond of him as well as others.

I also wanted to add, I feel Oden was also trying to atone for the Kurozumis being blood hunted by the citizens of Wano for generations even I think (I've heard this happens in Japan and or Korea or something) and your whole family is condemned for literal generations, cursed through all your descendants for the mistakes and "crimes" you make, whether its actual crimes or doing evil things in general or actual mistakes and accidents or w/e. Cursing your entire lineage/family/generations.

Oden treated Orochi way better than Orochi treated him and Orochi ironically was just as corrupt towards Oden as Wano's people had been to him and his family. He took full advantage of someone who was not manipulative/corrupt/evil or so, someone who was noble, heroic, selfless even though Oden was also pretty flawed, he had the best intentions too ultimately. Oden at the funeral of that guy and paying tribute to him was one of the best scenes I've ever seen in anything along with his ultimate sacrifice with his execution too.

Oden was like a Jesus figure of Wano even, a martyr for the greater good at least. I do feel he was trying to atone to Orochi and the Kurozumis for the mistakes and crimes of Wano's people and bear that burden of responsibility like Atlas did too with the Earth itself. People have compared Oden to men like Jesus, Hercules, Achilles, Atlas and such.

G

Gorosei Informer

I believe Kin and Kiku suffer from something called ''survivors' guilt''.
Funnily enough, I saw it in Ashura, especially with losing all his men ultimately too? Or half at least was it? That expression of his he carries all the time, the permanent look of despair and depression, existence is suffering, regret, agony etc lol. I think all the Scabbards except the fake one Kanju-ho suffer survivor's guilt in their own ways, Denjiro was definitely another prominent example of that as we saw ofc and I think this is also why Izo came to Wano with Marco too, not just for Kiku as well. I'm really deeply disappointed none of the other WB pirates showed up.

I can't find the panel now but didn't one of the scabbards say that they actually 'died' back then?
That sounds familiar. Sounds like something Inu, Denjiro or Ashura would say?

They even have symbolic graves, they are being referred to as 'ghosts'. Through which Oda wants to show us that emotionally, the scabbards really died back then.
They continued to live for the sole purpose of fulfilling Oden's wish and avenging him.
That makes a lot of sense. The trauma, the loss, the failures, the sacrifices and so on, it killed them inside but they couldn't let Oden's sacrifice and thus death go to waste either. They had to avenge him and finish what he started and was unable to succeed in doing.

He really is similar to Luffy and Roger and I'm sure Joyboy ofc when you think about it. No wonder Roger and even Whitebeard were so fond of him as well as others.
Luffy is different because he does not see himself above his 'subordinates'. The sh's are all about working together, and each of them using their own strengths.

Oden was the clear powerhouse of his group.
Roger actively wanted to bring upon the dawn and planned for his biological offspring to be his successor.

Neither does Luffy care about biological relations nor about doing all by himself.

Hence Luffy representing the.new generation.

All that being said, Oda's ability to execute these themes is on a steady decline because the guy's full of himself and sacrificed himself to the God of money.

G

Gorosei Informer

Luffy is different because he does not see himself above his 'subordinates'. The sh's are all about working together, and each of them using their own strengths.
Yeah thats true too, Oden was more of an actual leader and they were his followers or "disciples" ofc. Oden had Luffy's brashness and joyful personality, resilience, honesty and such but Oden also insisted on taking on burdens all by himself and that's EXACTLY what Luffy condems others for doing and tried to avoid Sanji, Nami, Robi, Vivi and so on from doing ofc!

I was thinking they all fought for freedom and had similar joyful, ambitious personalities and didn't fear death either.

All that being said, Oda's ability to execute these themes is on a steady decline because the guy's full of himself and sacrificed himself to the God of money.
LMFAOOOOOO, its no surprise he married a Nami cosplayer then is it? Apart from other obvious reasons a man especially a OP fan would ofc? Hahahahaha! God, reality/life really imitates art! Reality is stranger than fiction and such....

:saden::risitameh::nicagesmile::kailaugh: