Versus Battle Hunter x Hunter vs One Piece

R1: Which one is better? / R2: Which one do you enjoy more?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
-Plot: HxH
-Main characters: HxH (would have been a tie before that "Nika/chosen one" nonsense)
-Side characters: HxH
-Villains: HxH
-Character designs: tie
-Power system: HxH
-Story arcs: HxH
-Incorporation of themes: OP
-Art: OP (although HxH has higher peaks, but also clearly more inconsistent)
-Imagery: HxH
-Panelling: tie (both have clear highs and lows)
-Originality: HxH
-World building: OP
-Characterization: HxH
-Enjoyment: HxH if you want quality storywriting, OP if you want to turn off your head and just relax

-Main characters: HxH (would have been a tie before that "Nika/chosen one" nonsense)
-Villains: HxH
-Character designs: tie
-Story arcs: HxH
-Art: OP (although HxH has higher peaks, but also clearly more inconsistent)
-Imagery: HxH
-Panelling: tie (both have clear highs and lows)
-World building: OP
-Enjoyment: HxH if you want quality storywriting, OP if you want to turn off your head and just relax
Agree about everything with exception of "world building" and "art."

-Plot : HxH>>One piece

-Main characters : Gon>Luffy, Gon is much more interesting than Luffy, we feel a real evolution of the character through his adventure and his relationship with Killua is just perfect. Luffy is nice but it remains a goku like, it does not evolve so much

-Side characters : HxH>>>>>One piece, No debate possible, Togashi manages his side characters so well that he has no trouble detaching himself from his main character (Gon) to focus on another (Kurapika), for one piece it's totally the opposite everything revolves around of luffy even the development of his side characters are related to luffy, it's boring as fuck

-Villains : HxH>>>>One piece. Meruem that's all

-Character designs : HxH>One piece, Before the ellipse I would have put them on the same level but since the new world, Oda has completely done shit by giving us only shitty designs, they are atypical it's true but really sucks

-Power system : HxH>>>One piece, No debate again, the nen destroys the DF and at the same time the haki which is incomprehensible

-Story arcs : HxH>One piece, The great strength of Hunter x Hunter are its arcs which are different each time, they are original, fun and the atmosphere is always different, while Oda is always content to have the same path for his arcs : A princess saved / a member of the crew saved => A villain who occupies a territory that is not his ==> Luffy comes to deliver the inhabitants by defeating the villain : BORING

-Incorporation of themes : One piece>HxH

-Art : One piece>HxH, togashi can do beautiful art when he wants

-Originality : HxH>One piece, by far

-World building : One piece>HxH, Oda really created an incredible world, too bad he's a mediocre author and he won't develop anything at all

-Characterization : HxH>>> One piece, no debate possible yet

-Enjoyment : HxH

- Fight : HxH>>>One piece

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
โ€Ž
About the topic : I'm mixed. One Piece has so much potential. I prefer One piece world over HxH one, its really rich and so many possibilities. Same for One Piece characters, they are good, mostly good design, and could be great if used rightly. Even the overall plot isn't bad with the Gorosei, the Pk, the Yonko, the marines, the revolutinary army etc etc. But fuck a good deal is wasted with stupid plot inside arcs, same formula again and again and again, 0 development of characters, and super MC armor. Oda can't use his characters.

Last edited:
About the topic : I'm mixed. One Piece has so much potential. I prefer One piece world to HxH one, its really rich and so many possibilities. Same for One Piece characters, they are good, mostly good design, and could be great if used rightly. Even the overall plot isn't bad with the Gorosei, the Pk, the Yonko, the marines, the revolutinary army etc etc. But fuck a good deal is wasted with stupid plot inside arcs, same formula again and again and again, 0 development of characters, and super MC armor. Oda can't use his characters.
This is the biggest problem of One piece, Oda created an amazing world, but didn't exploit anything because his story revolves way too much around luffy, I feel like everything he created is useless in the end because 90% of the time he shows us luffy. One piece would be so much more fun to read if he could get away from his mc and show us something else and not just hype

HxH is so enjoyable when you rewatch it and notice stuff you didnt at first, i'll have to say HxH better
Overall:
-Main characters: OP
-Villains:HxH
-Character designs: HxH
-Story arcs: Tie
-Art: OP
-Panelling: OP
-World building: ngl i like HxH world better might be hot take
-Enjoyment: Tie

-Plot - One Piece
-Main characters - One Piece
-Side characters - One Piece
-Villains - Hunter x Hunter
-Character designs - tie (like both for different reasons)
-Power system - HxH
-Story arcs - One Piece
-Incorporation of themes - One Piece
-Art - One Piece
-Imagery - One Piece
-Panelling - tie (not something I would put one above the other at)
-Originality - One Piece
-World building - One Piece
-Characterization - HxH
-Enjoyment - One Piece

About the topic : I'm mixed. One Piece has so much potential. I prefer One piece world to HxH one, its really rich and so many possibilities. Same for One Piece characters, they are good, mostly good design, and could be great if used rightly. Even the overall plot isn't bad with the Gorosei, the Pk, the Yonko, the marines, the revolutinary army etc etc. But fuck a good deal is wasted with stupid plot inside arcs, same formula again and again and again, 0 development of characters, and super MC armor. Oda can't use his characters.
That's what most of us have been saying all the time though: Oda has created a super rich and interesting world (4 Blues, crazy island system on the Grandline etc.) with a great setup for all the stories to play in (pirate villains, WG as evil empire etc.).

Problem is that this is only one part of the equation.

If it comes to actual storytelling inside the prepared setting/world, Oda can't hold a candle to Togashi.

The latter is just this much better in actually writing logical, thrilling, non-repetitive and consistent stories.

-Plot - HXH
-Main characters HXH
-Side characters - HXH
-Villains - HXH
-Character designs- HXH
-Power system - HXH it's got the best of all.
-Story arcs - HXH (some OP arcs are better but overall HXH)
-Incorporation of themes - HXH
-Art - HXH (there are few inconsistence but it's due to authors heatlh)
-Imagery - HXH
-Panelling - HXH (OP's is degrading)
-Originality - HXH
-World building - tie OP and HXH both in their own unique way
-Characterization - HXH
-Enjoyment - TIE, OP is lighthearted fun to read and HXH is a complex story which forces you to give your complete focus on each and every panel and dialogue.
- Etc. Overall HXH is better than OP in almost every aspect.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
โ€Ž
I have still more feelings toward One piece than HxH. If I had to be on a desert island I'll likely take One piece with me and not HxH but it's true that OP quality deceased and step by step a lot of us are taking some distance from it.

So from enjoyment criteria I'll still take One piece as a whole.

This is the biggest problem of One piece, Oda created an amazing world, but didn't exploit anything because his story revolves way too much around luffy, I feel like everything he created is useless in the end because 90% of the time he shows us luffy. One piece would be so much more fun to read if he could get away from his mc and show us something else and not just hype
That is why we are always so hyped by chapters like world review, Reverie, or anything like that. No MC and pure world building nice evolution etc.

Plot
-Main characters
-Side characters
-Villains
-Character designs
-Power system
-Story arcs
-Incorporation of themes
-Art
-Imagery
-Panelling
-Originality
-World building
-Characterization
-Enjoyment
- Et
Plot= OP, if you would re read the arcs in without weekly waiting for it OP takes it
It has a Journey and adventure there is more drama then HXH

MC= Gon is really cold but smart in that point I like him more than Luffy who is annoying with his dumbness

Side characters= OP is much bigger and more than HXH you even have side characters for specific islands

Villans= tie
OP villains are good too but Hody, Ceasar,Kaido and BM are a huge flop boring heavy like a stone
Doflamingo, Crocodile, Lucci and Katakuri are the lifesaver
But Phantom Troop gives me also chills the same with Hisoka or Mereum

Design= OP it's too unique they even have there own laughter they are more complex and have they are unique Design

Power System= HxH
OP is too inconsistent like Bleach it changes from one moment to another there is no relation you can make
HxH is much more logical in that way you can relate better only Gon had this power up the others doesn't change for arcs

In one moment an Admiral is super strong in the other weak
The same goes for the yonko

Story arcs= OP
The arcs are like the plot colourful and huge
It's bigger and there is more to read HxH is smaller and goal focused

Overall OP is better but the power elements is better IN HxH