Chapter Discussion WGS title once again confirmed to be mainly ''SKILL'' based

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
...wat is it? Can you translate it?
Post automatically merged:

So Mihawk didnt even teach Zoro basic strength that allowed him to cut Iceberg from afar? He didnt even teach Zoro the basics to make Zoro's technique stronger, he only taught Zoro haki? Some weird scenario if you ask me.

Yea, some toughness wont cause extra weight or precision except with better basic strength and technique tho? Zoro could control Shusui better since Thriller Bark not due to his CoA but his technique.
No he didnt. Or zoro would have just slashed pica from distance in half.

Mihawks way of the sword
Was haki

Koshiros teachings to zoro
Was the concept of ryou aka haki

Mihawks haki > shanks

Bringing official panel isnt the same as saying shit translation for what i've found lol. If theres no such thing as hakiman, then why Rayleigh taught Luffy haki while Mihawk taught Zoro sword. Why must Ray separate the two and make haki an independent stuff.

And you keep saying "is Zoro gonna turn off his haki vs Mihawk" why shouldn't he? Whoever wins between those two, it doesn't mean that his haki is better than someone who is recognized in haki far more than his own reputation as a swordsman.
All I meant is that your translation was wrong.

Mihawk taught Zoro haki lmao. Literally ONLY thing we've seen him teach Zoro is haki. Kyoshiro's biggest lesson was in haki. Wano swordsmen value Ryou the most. It's all about haki in every fighting style.

Hakiman doesn't exist as a combat style.

And it's to show you that WSS is inclusive of haki. When two swordsmen fight, the one to win is WSS. No one cares if he won by skills or by haki. The swordsman who defeats all swordsman is WSS

And, again, Mihawk's CoA feats are among best of all time, while Shanks isn't. And his CoO potential is hinted more than Shanks, too, due to titles. And he's barely had screentime.

Marines consider him more of a threat without even being leader than a Yonko who they think rivals Shanks. Say what now?

Last edited:
According to

Zoro power up has been Sword related. He got a mafgic sword Enma that allows him to draw more haki out than he can do naturally and cut more than normal.
Which was about training his control over CoA? So Enma doesn't uncontrollably draw it out?

Then ACoC was about haki and infusing all his swords with it? Yeah, haki.

Or what about the fact that he learned CoA and CoO first thing during timeskip? Yeah, haki

According to

Zoro power up has been Sword related. He got a mafgic sword Enma that allows him to draw more haki out than he can do naturally and cut more than normal.
where in story is that said he can't do it naturally?
dude get AdCoC and AdCoA its haki and sword related because haki is part of any style of fighting
only idiot like you thing its some sort of fighting style
dude was using it in all of his 3 sword but blind people like you cant see it

also Enma will suck haki if you want to be acknowledge by it you need shit ton of it

Last edited:
All I meant is that your translation was wrong.

Mihawk taught Zoro haki lmao. Literally ONLY thing we've seen him teach Zoro is haki. Kyoshiro's biggest lesson was in haki. Wano swordsmen value Ryou the most. It's all about haki in every fighting style.

Hakiman doesn't exist as a combat style.

And it's to show you that WSS is inclusive of haki. When two swordsmen fight, the one to win is WSS. No one cares if he won by skills or by haki. The swordsman who defeats all swordsman is WSS

And, again, Mihawk's CoA feats are among best of all time, while Shanks isn't. And his CoO potential is hinted more than Shanks, too, due to titles. And he's barely had screentime.

Marines consider him more of a threat without even being leader than a Yonko who they think rivals Shanks. Say what now?
"Hakiman doesnt exist as a combat style" while Rayleigh in chapter 597 says that haki is a power, while Luffy and Kaidou destroy enemies without touching, Shanks turned off GB's DF, Kaidou didnt even need his kanabo to do his most powerful attack, which you try to ignore or deny.

"And its to show you that swordman is inclusive of haki" its easier if you just admit that its to show me your wishful thinking, while Kaidou said nothing about Roger transcending all as a swordsman, while Brannew specifically gave "in skill" asterisk to tell what Mihawk surpasses Shanks in, while Zoro exclude King from being a swordsman due to kicking or using a different sword.

"Mihawk's CoA is among the best of all time" which of Mihawk's feat is it this time? Cutting ice or black blade or what? "While Shanks didnt show great CoA" no wonder Shanks didnt show any hardening etc since even Admirals retreat from his presence, something Mihawk didnt even come close to.

"Marines consider Mihawk a greater threat" considering Mihawk chase marines so often while Shanks just partied and drinking booze until the plot allows him, i wonder why tho.

It enhances a fighting style, not become a new one altogether. It's like calling having muscles a fighting style.
Fighting style doesnt use muscles? CoC skype DF-canceller is swordmanship? Or haki genkidama from Luffy vs Kaidou is kanabo-ship or sandal-ship?

So sad that you actually unironically believe this.
Just because i believe Shanks is stronger than Mihawk, doesn't mean i'm attached to that belief. Saying what i believe is sad while there are multiple portrayals supporting it, shows that Mihawk fandom quite desperately try to force Mihawk > Shanks to others and ignore other views including those with manga panels supporting Shanks' haki is stronger than that of Mihawk, or Shanks > Mihawk overall, or both.

Last edited:

This is a swordman

This is a swordman

This is a swordman

They are all considered swordmen by Oda despite having other abilities such as DF fruits, acrobatics, and they are all weaker than the World Strongest Swordman
So what exactly makes Shanks "not" a swordman when Oda himself considered him one? What makes him the only "swordman" who isn't affected by Mihawk's tittle?

Last edited:
@uyuu As an add on to my last response, who do you think wins, btw? Zoro or Law/Kidd?

One has ACoC, ACoA and CoO while other two are basic-ass bitches with basic-ass Haki and zero portrayal in it. Law doesn't even have all three :myman:
Did you see me forcing Shanks > Mihawk anywhere in this thread due to Shanks' haki being portrayed as stronger?

"Hakiman doesnt exist as a combat style" while Rayleigh in chapter 597 says that haki is a power, while Luffy and Kaidou destroy enemies without touching, Shanks turned off GB's DF, Kaidou didnt even need his kanabo to do his most powerful attack, which you try to ignore or deny.

"And its to show you that swordman is inclusive of haki" its easier if you just admit that its to show me your wishful thinking, while Kaidou said nothing about Roger transcending all as a swordsman, while Brannew specifically gave "in skill" asterisk to tell what Mihawk surpasses Shanks in, while Zoro exclude King from being a swordsman due to kicking or using a different sword.

"Mihawk's CoA is among the best of all time" which of Mihawk's feat is it this time? Cutting ice or black blade or what? "While Shanks didnt show great CoA" no wonder Shanks didnt show any hardening etc since even Admirals retreat from his presence, something Mihawk didnt even come close to.

"Marines consider Mihawk a greater threat" considering Mihawk chase marines so often while Shanks just partied and drinking booze until the plot allows him, i wonder why tho.

Fighting style doesnt use muscles? CoC skype DF-canceller is swordmanship? Or haki genkidama from Luffy vs Kaidou is kanabo-ship or sandal-ship?

Just because i believe Shanks is stronger than Mihawk, doesn't mean i'm attached to that belief. Saying what i believe is sad while there are multiple portrayals supporting it, shows that Mihawk fandom quite desperately try to force Mihawk > Shanks to others and ignore other views including those with manga panels supporting Shanks' haki is stronger than that of Mihawk, or Shanks > Mihawk overall, or both.
Mihawk made a black blade while neither Shanks nor Roger could despite being swordsmen. Roger loved his sword so dearly that he named his son after it, yet failed to do, too. Mihawk's CoA portrayal is downright best in history outside of Ryuuma.

And sure, but both Buggy and Mihawk are part of organization that chases and kills marines. Buggy is considered a rival to Shanks and Yonko. But Mihawk is a bigger threat. Say what now?

World's Strongest Swordsman is still about being strongest and being able to win in an all out fight between two swordsmen. Not about skills. Zoro is living proof.

It's literally swordsmanship and not skill.

But your take won't change regardless of whether Viz corrects it to swordsmanship or not, ye?

That statement is just one statement. The rest of Mihawk's hype this chapter remains- and so does his literal title of strongest swordsman. Hell, so far when it comes to road to WSS, nothing has mattered more than haki for Zoro. His entire development since timeskip is literally just haki over and over again.

Kinda ass that the argument has devolves into "But Shanks is related to MC and is a self insert", though ._.
If the official translation speaks of his swordsmanship without explicitly mentioning "skill" then we'll be back to square one, no new information of value will have been given to us; but if "skill" is indeed present then it will be nuancing the issue even more, and I can't understand how those who read the translation mentioning Mihawk's skill (whether correct or not) took it as confirmation of his superiority instead of the contrary. I mean, nuancing rarely confirms anything.

My take won't change indeed, which is a skeptical take because seriously, I'm totally fine with Mihawk being stronger than Shanks (you may not believe it, I wouldn't care), but God do I distrust it just for how, how, how prominent Shanks is as a conqueror. Wasn't for it and I would be more sure, and don't get me wrong because Mihawk is obviously going to be a conqueror's too, but I have my doubts he will be as prominent as Shanks in this regard and the narrative behind his will is very powerful so far (closest to Pirate King in terms of spirit, inspired the main character to achieve his dream of freedom, can intimidate from Yonko commanders to even an admiral just with a blast...). We had Chinjao stating that the Pirate King is the conqueror atop conquerors, Kaidou put Shanks among those of his highest regard as adversaries and he later used Roger as the prime example of how haki stands above; and I find undeniable that the reigning haki is haoshoku, not busoshoku, not kenbunshoku; and so far Shanks has the most hype in this regard.

To put it simple, swordsmanship is never addressed as a trascendental power while conqueror's haki is the mark of kings. Swordsmanship is never addressed as the key to power, but haki is. And being Roger the strongest character we've known so far, plus his title being addressed as that who reigns over conquerors, plus his spirit being closest to Shanks (and now Luffy), plus his overall treatment by Oda (seriously, the guy just intimidated an admiral from miles away), I just find it reasonable to maybe suspect a little bit that this may not turn out as simplistic as "Mihawk has a title, therefore".

If the official translation speaks of his swordsmanship without explicitly mentioning "skill" then we'll be back to square one, no new information of value will have been given to us; but if "skill" is indeed present then it will be nuancing the issue even more, and I can't understand how those who read the translation mentioning Mihawk's skill (whether correct or not) took it as confirmation of his superiority instead of the contrary.

My take won't change indeed, which is a skeptical take because seriously, I'm totally fine with Mihawk being stronger than Shanks (you may not believe it, I wouldn't care), but God do I distrust it just for how, how, how prominent Shanks is as a conqueror. Wasn't for it and I would be more sure, and don't get me wrong because Mihawk is obviously going to be a conqueror's too, but I have my doubts he will be as prominent as Shanks in this regard and the narrative behind his will is very powerful so far (closest to Pirate King in terms of spirit, inspired the main character to achieve his dream of freedom, can intimidate from Yonko commanders to even an admiral just with a blast...). We had Chinjao stating that the Pirate King is the conqueror atop conquerors, Kaidou put Shanks among those of his highest regard as adversaries and he later used Roger as the prime example of how haki stands above; and I find undeniable that the reigning haki is haoshoku, not busoshoku, not kenbunshoku; and so far Shanks has the most hype in this regard.

To put it simple, swordsmanship is never addressed as a trascendental power while conqueror's haki is the mark of kings. Swordsmanship is never addressed as the key to power, but haki is. And being Roger the strongest character we've known so far, plus his title being addressed as that who reigns over conquerors, plus his spirit being closest to Shanks (and now Luffy), plus his overall treatment by Oda (seriously, the guy just intimidated an admiral from miles away), I just find it reasonable to maybe suspect a little bit that this may not turn out as simplistic as "Mihawk has a title, therefore".

And, on a more relaxed note, never underestimate the power of self-insert to bias an author.
Alrighto, can wait until Sunday for translation, then.

Btw, Shanks is more prominent as a conqueror than either Kaido or WB were ever shown to be despite their story already being done, having displayed all they had to offer. Doesn't really put him above them, does it?

Roger's CoC was most likely god tier and higher than WB, but WB made up for it with his DF and stuff.

I don't think Mihawk's CoC will be as good as Shanks', but he can make up for it with other stuff. Mihawk's CoA portrayal is among the best in history- achieving a feat that even Roger, as a swordsman, couldn't achieve even though he loved his blade so dearly he named his son after it. Mihawk's CoO so far also has higher implications than Shanks as per epithets, and the "skills" part is obvious even if it's stated or not.