Character Discussion Coby The Hero is the new Garp and future rival of Pirate King

Since people starting to downplay and not even being able to know what a parallel is I decided to create this thread to reply to threads such as this:
https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/for...-garp-so-he-should-be-a-rival-of-luffy.32222/

The main argument used is:

Can you imagine Garp sitting around with a couple of princesses and talking about how he likes/fanboys over Roger?
Of course I don't need to explain how stupid this argument really is, it's like saying "can you imagine Rayleigh being dumb like Zoro and find difficult to get the meaning behind 3D2Y?"

As you can see Rayleigh here talks about Zoro "not seeming particularly quick on the uptake".

Rayleigh was right about it.

Now can you imagine Rayleigh finding it difficult like Zoro? Of course not.
Or it's like saying Rayleigh does like young girls while Zoro finds p*ssy disgusting so they aren't parallels.
:luffylaugh:

So Zoro isn't Rayleigh's parallel because he's not the same as Rayleigh personality wise? Of course not, just like Zoro is his own character Coby is his own character and doesn't have to be the same personality as Garp to be his parallel.

So let's see what points out that Coby is the new Garp.

1. Both are known as "The Hero" of marines.

2. New generation always surpass old one and Coby is the student of Garp, just like Kuzan who is an ex admiral of Navy. Just like Kuzan, Coby opposed to Akainu, which shows COC potential.

Even Shanks recognizes Coby's courage.

3. Garp was also Roger's friend just like Coby and Luffy.

4. Coby's initial dream was just becoming a marine, then he's dream developed to becoming an Admiral, some people say "yeah he just has to become an admiral doesn't need him to be able to be on Luffy's level" which is WRONG. Oda is doing this game with Coby, started as no one, as a short boy who wanted to become a marine to a young marine which dream is to become an Admiral and he will finally develop to the one who will be near to capture Luffy, as Luffy himself pointed out Coby wants to fight him just like Roger was Garp's bussiness so is Luffy for Coby.

"I have to bring down Roger myself" -> "You'll fight me, right?" the only character Luffy said those words to.

You should bet on Coby just like Zoro and Luffy did, Luffy knows he'll be stronger but explicity says that Coby has to close the gap and fight him one day, he believes in him and so does Zoro believing he'll be a strong foe in the future.

"If Coby says he can do it, he can do it"
"Luffy.. looks like you've planted the seeds for some strong enemies in the future"

5. The possible outcome, Coby + Luffy vs Teach, who has a ship called Rocks, they're the Garp, Roger and Rocks of the new gen so the final parallel:
The Hero of Marines + The Pirate King vs The Evil Pirate who wants to rule over the world. This is has become more concrete with Teach and Coby's connesion.

Not absurd considering real life Blackbeard was actually defeated by a marine, this role can be given to Coby.

Remember, will is power, Coby has developed so much something no one would have ever imagined.
He himself confirmed how willpower changed his life.

From this:

to slowly developing to this:

Look how he's aiming higher and higher, his first dream was becoming a marine then now he's so ambitious to wanting to become a marine admiral and one day Oda will eventually show us incredibly how that boy met on Alvida's ship became The Hero, Luffy's friend and rival, the one closest to capture him as the pirate king.

Coby already did a lot, he has the fastest growth in the marines history:
  • Helmeppo was the second fastest of promotion in two years as the first was held by Koby, from Seaman Recruit to Lieutenant Commander.
Reached Tashigi's rank when not so time ago was still taking lessons from her.

Also Coby has one of the best COO in the entire series.

Volume 1000 "Z", Oda mentions how his Haki has advanced greatly. The circled part saying, "Mastered Rokushiki - His CoO is abnormally developed"

Also confirmed by Helmeppo and vivrecard:

"His Observation Haki is sophisticated enough to estimate someone's strength from even the slightest of interactions."

He has also better feats than Vice-Admiral Yamakaji.

Conclusion: Coby will be Garp's best student, surpassing Kuzan, opposing to Akainu and will also become the New Hero and Garp of the marines.
This is all for now.

Last edited:
1060 chapters and this side character is still shit low diff to Sanji. But in next 100-200, he'll become Roger level. And be stronger than the protagonist he thinks is impossible to follow in the footsteps of. And Helmeppo will be Yonko level, I guess.

There are so many better unpopular hills to die on, but some people gotta pick the most nonsensical trash

The sad part is that in this entire thread, literally the only thing that supports this shit headcanon is just a single page with a line of Coby fighting Luffy later which isn't even a significant part of his character, and even that scene was focused more on Admiral than that. Coby's primary motivation ain't that. Hell, it isn't even part of his establishment to do so.

I wonder if there are some folks who still think Luffy will defeat BM later because he said so, too, lmao. At least that fits Luffy's character.

Make a post when he breaks into commander tier. Maybe he will by EoS, who knows.

Btw, you didn't even understand @ConquistadoR 's main argument in that thread lmao. He's not saying you have to have exact same personality to mirror someone. He's pointing out how Coby's personality and character establishment is as far as it can get from someone who's supposed to fill Garp's role in Luffy's journey.

Last edited:
1060 chapters and this side character is still shit low diff to Sanji.
But showed incredible CoO One of the best in the series, there's Hope for him especially when I see people expecting Smoker to be strong and Smoker was actually embarassing.
At least I would put current Coby above the likes of Vergo, and since he is a rokoushiki master he might be on the level of Who's Who or above, but still current Coby I think he's below Jinbe who I consider to be way far from the likes of Sanji, and even though I think Sanji Is on King's level, Zoro Is even above that to not talk about Luffy.
So, yeah, the gap Is still huge but we'll see, let's see what Coby does next time we'll see him, let's see if he's gonna be involved against Teach fight, he might show some good feats there and insane Power growth, if he doesn't than Oda has forgot and hasn't anymore a plan for him to reach Luffy.
Seems fair to me.

But showed incredible CoO One of the best in the series, there's Hope for him especially when I see people expecting Smoker to be strong and Smoker was actually embarassing.
At least I would put current Coby above the likes of Vergo, and since he is a rokoushiki master he might be on the level of Who's Who or above, but still current Coby I think he's below Jinbe who I consider to be way far from the likes of Sanji, and even though I think Sanji Is on King's level, Zoro Is even above that to not talk about Luffy.
So, yeah, the gap Is still huge but we'll see, let's see what Coby does next time we'll see him, let's see if he's gonna be involved against Teach fight, he might show some good feats there and insane Power growth, if he doesn't than Oda has forgot and hasn't anymore a plan for him to reach Luffy.
Seems fair to me.
Yeah @ the CoO stuff, never once said he'll remain a fodder in general. Just fodder compared to our strong main characters, which he has been since the very start and never once changed.

Coby will obviously become strong, I never once doubted that. I've often sair he might become Admiral level by EoS even though that in itself seems INSANE power-up, far faster and far bigger than anything seen in series thus far, but hey.

Yeah @ the CoO stuff, never once said he'll remain a fodder in general. Just fodder compared to our strong main characters, which he has been since the very start and never once changed.

Coby will obviously become strong, I never once doubted that. I've often sair he might become Admiral level by EoS even though that in itself seems INSANE power-up, far faster and far bigger than anything seen in series thus far, but hey.
Well I think he should surpass Kuzan since they're both students of Garp, but well.
Even if Coby becomes like as strong as the likes of Fujitora and Greenbull which I consider to be below Kuzan and Akainu, he would still be a bit below EOS Sanji.
So. :kayneshrug:

I think it's safe to assume he'll be at least on Greenbull level and the best he can reach Is a bit over Prime Garp.

I wouldn't suggest anything more or less, this Is the general level he can reach like:

At least Green Bull -> in-between Kuzan/Akainu level or a bit stronger -> Prime Garp or bit stronger.
This Is the spectrum, can see why you think he reaches the low-end of It.

Maybe Coby could take on Drake right now and the story is almost over

Garp cornered Roger countless times, Coby did not once do that to Luffy and Luffy will soon be PK
Prologue.

Oh also I think that Coby Will reach that level on Prologue, while for the final war I can see him being above 1st commanders.

The problem with Coby isn't the ass pull power ups he'll get. Nor is it the force shoe horned way he's been introduced this late in the story.

The problem with Coby is simply he's a shit character other than being a Luffy fanboy with generic I want to save civilian marine ideology what does he bring to the story?

Let's look at the alternative in Smoker.

Smoker has the look of a rough evil marine but is probably low key the kindest marine there is. We actually see conflict in Smoker from not wanting to work with pirates to working with them for the greater good. He's actually developed a relationship with Luffy that's a mutual respect between a pirate and a marine.

Coby sucks ass as a character what character trait does he possess that makes us want to route for him? His entire character relies on being Luffy's fanboy.