General & Others Vegapunk is a tontatta since Oda loves plagiarizing American fiction

If it isn't then what is the word for a person who copies other peoples work because they are too lazy to think of ideas for themselves?
That's not what is applying here. Using a modern archetype (with ancient roots on top of that) isn't plagiarizing. Plagiarizing would be revealing Vegapunk's real name to be Retxed, a genius kid with glasses and red hair that does the same as Dexter while trying to pass it as your own creation. Oda's work is full of references, but they're mostly superficial and won't try to sell them as his ideas; like if you go and accuse him of copying Shintaro Katsu's Zatoichi for Fujitora he will laugh and just address it as something obvious.

Tons of Japanese and Chinese heroes have monkey traits for one obvious reason I won't even bother stating; is it plagiarism too? Every blind sage is plagiarism? Molière plagiarized The Miser? Your definition of plagiarism isn't realistic.

That's not what is applying here. Using a modern archetype (with ancient roots on top of that) isn't plagiarizing. Plagiarizing would be revealing Vegapunk's real name to be Retxed, a genius kid with glasses and red hair that does the same as Dexter while trying to pass it as your own creation. Oda's work is full of references, but they're mostly superficial and won't try to sell them as his ideas; like if you go and accuse him of copying Shintaro Katsu's Zatoichi for Fujitora he will laugh and just address it as something obvious.

Tons of Japanese and Chinese heroes have monkey traits for one obvious reason I won't even bother stating; is it plagiarism too? Every blind sage is plagiarism? Molière plagiarized The Miser? Your definition of plagiarism isn't realistic.
Then what is the word for a person who copies other peoples work because they are too lazy to think of ideas for themselves?
Post automatically merged:

What’s the original here exactly? I don’t follow.
The list:
  1. Atlantis
  2. Alice in Wonderland
  3. Greek Mythology
  4. Tune force
  5. and others can't think of top of my head now.

Hes saying kishi is a bum who copied Akira toriyamas work
Nope Kishi didn't copy Akira, he copied Togashi.

Last edited:
Then what is the word for a person who copies other peoples work because they are too lazy to think of ideas for themselves?
Reference, homage, satire, archetype... You have tons of possibilities usually defined by the laws of whatever country you live in so plagiarism can be properly identified and punished. Plagiarism requires passing a particular, identifiable and often elaborate idea as your own with intent of hiding it. It's obvious Oda is just making references when he designs baron Tamago after Hercule Poirot, for example, which is way different than copying the plot of Murder on the Orient Express with no intention of crediting Christie.

In this case, "small but smart" isn't even an author's personal and complex creation, it's an archetype —a shared matrix. So again, go cry for how Molière plagiarized The Miser, how Frankenstein wasn't an original idea, how every monkey-like Eastern hero comes from Journey to the West and so on.

Reference, homage, satire, archetype... You have tons of possibilities usually defined by the laws of whatever country you live in so plagiarism can be properly identified and punished. Plagiarism requires passing a particular, identifiable and often elaborate idea as your own with intent of hiding it. It's obvious Oda is just making references when he designs baron Tamago after Hercule Poirot, for example, which is way different than copying the plot of Murder on the Orient Express.

In this case, "small but smart" isn't even an author's personal and complex creation, it's an archetype —a shared matrix. So again, go cry for how Molière plagiarized The Miser, how Frankenstein wasn't an original idea, how every monkey-like Eastern hero comes from Journey to the West and so on.
It isn't a reference, it isn't a homage, it isn't satire, nor archetype. None of those words describes what I said hence why I used the word plagiarism since it is the closest to what I described. It "technically" isn't plagiarism but it is borderline plagiarism. I am fine with using ideas of others however if you continue to keep copying others peoples work with each passing arc then that is borderline plagiarism to me. Also, I don't care to debate semantics. You know what I meant when I said plagiarism. I don't care what it means "legally" nor do I care about arguing over semantics.

It isn't a reference, it isn't a homage, it isn't satire, nor archetype. None of those words describes what I said hence why I used the word plagiarism since it is the closest to what I described. It "technically" isn't plagiarism but it is borderline plagiarism. I am fine with using ideas of others however if you continue to keep copying others peoples work with each passing arc then that is borderline plagiarism to me. Also, I don't care to debate semantics. You know what I meant when I said plagiarism. I don't care what it means "legally" nor do I care about arguing over semantics.
Taking the shared model of "genius who happens to have a small body in spite of their big mind" is the definition of an archetype. No author owns it. It's like crying over how bad guys dress dark colors; yeah, welcome to the world of primary metaphors. When you make a reference to something created by another author that "belongs" to popular culture, incorporate it in a superficial, isolated way and never show any attempt at passing it as your own idea, then calling it plagiarism is absurd.

So when you said plagiarism you meant something you don't know what actually is. You certainly didn't describe plagiarism with this emptiness of a thread.

But again, tell me: what's the difference between Oda creating a character based on the trope of "small but smart" and the other examples I quoted you?

Taking the shared model of "genius who happens to have a small body in spite of their big mind" is the definition of an archetype. No author owns it. It's like crying over how bad guys dress dark colors; yeah, welcome to the world of primary metaphors. When you make a reference to something created by another author that "belongs" to popular culture, incorporate it in a superficial, isolated way and never show any attempt at passing it as your own idea, then calling it plagiarism is absurd.

So when you said plagiarism you meant something you don't know what actually is. You certainly didn't describe plagiarism with this emptiness of a thread.

But again, tell me: what's the difference between Oda creating a character based on the trope of "small but smart" and the other examples I quoted you?
Let us use your "Frankenstein wasn't an original idea" example then. Was Frankenstein based off an accumulation of multiple original ideas or was it only based off an original idea? Like I said before I am fine with referencing other original ideas to your story but your whole story can't be a collection of other people's work.

Naruto beginning was a copy of Togashi HxH, would you consider that an archetype or homage? Wano backstory of an ancient city was as close to a copy of Atlantis as you can get. Luffy tune force was as close to a copy of Tom and Jerry as you can get where Oda even admitted he took the idea in an interview with Toshirama.

Last edited:

Washing the head of the mule you waste time and soap.
Why argue if the other person is obviously arguing in bad faith?
Whenver you discuss with certain people, remember where they come from

By the way: Plagiarism is presenting someone else's work or ideas as your own, with or without their consent, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement.
Never happened so far. Not like the Evil wizard who control snakes.

Let us use your "Frankenstein wasn't an original idea" example then. Was Frankenstein based off an accumulation of multiple original ideas or was it only based off an original idea? Like I said before I am fine with referencing other original ideas to your story but your whole story can't be a collection of other people's work.
...And One Piece isn't as a whole a collection of other people's work. Your point, then? Who owns the "original idea" of a "small but smart" genius that tons of authors have worked with through time?

Frankenstein is pretty much a retelling of older stories and archetypes; to the point it's literally called The modern Prometheus. Its teachings ultimately come from the work of Shelley's parents, and the book is full of quotes and references to an amalgam of myths, poems, etc. But it's not plagiarism, why?

Washing the head of the mule you waste time and soap.
Why argue if the other person is obviously arguing in bad faith?
Whenver you discuss with certain people, remember where they come from

By the way: Plagiarism is presenting someone else's work or ideas as your own, with or without their consent, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement.
Never happened so far. Not like the Evil wizard who control snakes.
It's been a long time since I adopted this philosophy when it comes to debating: I may be arguing with a mule, but because I don't want to let it turn others into donkeys.

Usually, the benefits of a debate are for those reading it, not those having it.

...And One Piece isn't as a whole a collection of other people's work. Your point, then? Who owns the "original idea" of a "small but smart" genius that tons of authors have worked with through time?

Frankenstein is pretty much a retelling of older stories and archetypes; to the point it's literally called The modern Prometheus. Its teachings ultimately come from the work of Shelley's parents, and the book is full of quotes and references to an amalgam of myths, poems, etc. But it's not plagiarism, why?
Because to talk about this kind of things it's necessary to have basic reading skills, which some people, sadly, don't really have.

Naruto beginning was a copy of Togashi HxH, would you consider that an archetype or homage? Wano backstory of an ancient city was as close to a copy of Atlantis as you can get. Luffy tune force was as close to a copy of Tom and Jerry as you can get where Oda even admitted he took the idea in an interview with Toshirama.
I haven't read Naruto so I can't tell.

Pretty sure you can find way, way, way older sources than a freaking Disney movie for the tropes Wano is working with. Like most of it has roots on Japanese actual history, folklore and shared myths. Doubt Atlantis created anything either (starting by its title), but this doesn't mean it plagiarized it.

And if Oda never hid his inspirations (we've known for decades that Gear Third comes from a Tom and Jerry scene), then how is it plagiarism? You don't admit plagiarism willingly because people who plagiarize intend to pass something they didn't create as their own idea. Has Oda ever attempted this?

Because to talk about this kind of things it's necessary to have basic reading skills, which some people, sadly, don't really have.
I actually doubt this individual has a background beyond manga/anime and movies for kids and teens, considering his examples.

I haven't read Naruto so I can't tell.

Pretty sure you can find way, way, way older sources than a freaking Disney movie for the tropes Wano is working with. Like most of it has roots on Japanese actual history, folklore and shared myths. Doubt Atlantis created anything either (starting by its title), but this doesn't mean it plagiarized it.

And if Oda never hid his inspirations (we've known for decades that Gear Third comes from a Tom and Jerry scene), then how is it plagiarism? You don't admit plagiarism willingly because people who plagiarize intend to pass something they didn't create as their own idea. Has Oda ever attempted this?
No you don't understand, what he means with Atlantis is that fishman island is a copy of the myth of atlantis. Just like he said that Oda "copies" greek mithology, probably referring to impel down.

Frankenstein is pretty much a retelling of older stories and archetypes; to the point it's literally called The modern Prometheus. Its teachings ultimately come from the work of Shelley's parents, and the book is full of quotes and references to an amalgam of myths, poems, etc. But it's not plagiarism, why?.
  1. Big Mom WCI ----> Alice In Wonderland
  2. Ancient Weapons -----> Greek Mythology
  3. Wano lost city -----> Atlantis
  4. Luffy Tune Force -----> Tom and Jerry
List goes on and on and yet you claim "One piece isn't a collection of other people's work"? And like I said before I am not going to get into a semantics argument with you over what the definition of plagiarism is.

Can I ask you a question? Was Naruto beginning a copy of HxH?