General & Others Is Law the deuteragonist of One Piece ?

Is Law the deuteragonist of One Piece ?

• Total voters
Cope.

This Is like saying that Vegeta would defeat 73 while Goku defeat Moro, like Vegeta defeating the subordinate of Goku's enemy.
Sasuke, Vegeta etc. Always fight someone comparable of main character enemy or the same enemy, like Sasuke and Naruto vs Kaguya, if u were right about Zoro he would have fought Kaido alongside Luffy
Shut up

Cope.

This Is like saying that Vegeta would defeat 73 while Goku defeat Moro, like Vegeta defeating the subordinate of Goku's enemy.
Sasuke, Vegeta etc. Always fight someone comparable of main character enemy or the same enemy, like Sasuke and Naruto vs Kaguya, if u were right about Zoro he would have fought Kaido alongside Luffy
This is incorrect.

In Dragon Ball there's usually a single strong antagonist with any other antagonists being comparatively trash or non-threatening. In these cases, obviously Vegeta would fight Buu, Goku Black, Moro, Granolah etc... But he inevitably jobs to Goku in the end. In fact, during the ToP his final fight was Toppo who was the #2 enemy.

Zoro did fight Kaido alongside Luffy. He even outperformed Law whilst doing so, then he fought someone else. No different to Vegeta in ToP, who fought Jiren and then soloed Toppo.

In HxH, Killua fought the weaker counterparts to Gon's opponents despite having equal potential and being outright stronger for most of the series. Greed Island, Chimera Ant arc, the Hunter exam, Heavens Arena - the list goes on. And Killua is as clear-cut a deuteragonist as it gets.

That being said, Zoro is not the true deuteragonist of One Piece and neither is Law. There simply isn't one. But if you had to choose, then a deuteragonist is usually the person of second most importance to the story or the most important person to the main character. One Piece is ultimately a story of Luffy becoming Pirate King; as long as Law is not a Strawhat he cannot be the deuteragonist because he can die right here against BB and it wouldn't affect Luffy's dream in the slightest. Any deuteragonist would have to be a SH and Zoro is the most prominent SH.

At the very least, Luffy cannot become Pirate King without Zoro. The SHs would die without Zoro's strength and Luffy needs everyone else to make it to Raftel. Sasuke is Naruto's best friend, Killua is Gon's best friend, Vegeta is Goku's strongest rival, Zoro is Luffy's oldest partner. Law does not fit into this pattern at all - he's not Luffy's strongest rival, best friend nor particularly important to Luffy outside of being just a friend. So he can't be the deuteragonist.

You can break it up arc-by-arc and say Law was deuteragonist of X arc, Nami the deuteragonist of Y arc etc... But you cannot say Law is the deuteragonist of One Piece as a whole because he's nowhere near important enough to Luffy and his dream.

Last edited:
In fact, during the ToP his final fight was Toppo who was the #2 enemy.
yes and Zoro doesn't do that either. Has he defeated the #2 of wano? No. He hasn't defeated Big Mom.
He even outperformed Law whilst doing so,
Zoro fought Kaido and Big Mom not at their full power, while Law showed his trump card against Big Mom who recognized Kidd, Law and Luffy as the real deal and used her true form. Literally Zoro was the only one going all out in a not main fight, main fight matters more and we saw Law and Kidd taking out a Yonko at 100% while Zoro couldn't even put a not serious Kaido on his knees, what more do I have to tell you?
That being said, Zoro is not the true deuteragonist of One Piece and neither is Law. There simply isn't one.
and I agree, but Law and Kidd are still threaten as the Vegeta (Kidd) and Sasuke (Law) of Luffy in a way, they're his true rivals, while Zoro is not a rival for Luffy.

It’s pretty clear that Law’s importance to the story post-TS is second only behind Luffy’s on the protagonist’s side. Post-TS One Piece is like 2/3 Law Piece.

No SH besides Sanji has gotten as much personal development as him, mutherfucker even got a 4-5 chapter flashback dedicated to him that detailed his wholeass childhood.

No SH besides Robin has as much importance to the plot as he does, secret D name and even part of the Road Poneglyph reveal with her on Wano.

No SH besides Zoro has been allowed to face a titanic entity like the Yonkos, and the fact that he was credited to beating one of them speaks for itself.

Law might as well be an honorary SH like Vivi, his crew has almost zero screen time and are basically dead weight when it comes to important battles, only there to operate his ship nothing more.

Last edited:
Zoro fought Kaido and Big Mom not at their full power, while Law showed his trump card against Big Mom who recognized Kidd, Law and Luffy as the real deal and used her true form.
What? BM became Bigger Mom after Kid and Law went all-out - when did she see Zoro go all-out? Not only is your comparison utterly invalid, it's also plain wrong as it wasn't until BM saw Zoro's Flying Dragon Blaze that she realised she underestimated the SNs. Zoro was the trigger that caused her to acknowledge them in the first place.

Literally Zoro was the only one going all out in a not main fight, main fight matters more and we saw Law and Kidd taking out a Yonko at 100% while Zoro couldn't even put a not serious Kaido on his knees, what more do I have to tell you?
Let's talk about how flawed this argument is: You're admonishing Rooftop Zoro for... Not taking out a Yonkou at 100%? Whilst praising Kid and Law for doing so despite it taking both of them together and despite that statement being utterly false in and of itself, as Kid and Law did not take out BM - Kid, Law and the bombs took out BM.

The other reason your argument makes no sense is that Zoro powered up significantly after the rooftop, so why are you chastising him for the feats of his weaker self?

and I agree, but Law and Kidd are still threaten as the Vegeta (Kidd) and Sasuke (Law) of Luffy in a way, they're his true rivals, while Zoro is not a rival for Luffy.
You don't have to be a rival to be a deuteragonist - Gon and Killua aren't rivals at all. Moot point.

Whilst praising Kid and Law for doing so despite it taking both of them
Yes. Marco + 10 COMMANDERS + Crocodile couldn't stop Akainu.
King + Queen were neg diffed by Greenbull.

While Kidd and Law being only 2 of them defeated a freaking Yonko.
Yes. That's insane.
Post automatically merged:

The other reason your argument makes no sense is that Zoro powered up significantly after the rooftop,
A power-up he needed to defeat a mere Yc1 like King who's neg diffing material for the likes of Greenbull and Big mom.

Yes. Marco + 10 COMMANDERS + Crocodile couldn't stop Akainu.
King + Queen were neg diffed by Greenbull.

While Kidd and Law being only 2 of them defeated a freaking Yonko.
Yes. That's insane.
You mean Marco, Vista and a bunch of comparatively insignificant fodder?

Actually wait this is actually laughable lmfao, lemme be you for a sec: The NINE Scabbards couldn't reopen Kaido's scar - that includes SULONG Inu and Neko, PLUS Ashura and Kawamatsu who were ALL high-tiers. And they COULD NOT open Kaido's scar TOGETHER.

Zoro made a NEW SCAR BY HIMSELF. Rooftop Zoro > The 9 Scabbards"
And you wanna chat to me about Marco and the commanders vs Akainu - of course they'd lose, most of them are garbage.

You mean Kid, Law and bombs defeated BM*.
A power-up he needed to defeat a mere Yc1 like King who's neg diffing material for the likes of Greenbull and Big mom.
Yeah what we're not gonna do is gift Greenbull's feats to BM. She implied she'd struggle somewhat with Marco, same Marco who we saw eventually got bopped by King. Same King with durability stated to be higher than Kaido's. Nothing suggests BM is capable of neg-diffing a fresh King and Queen.

Because Clashing on Par with Base Kaido not enough to beat weakened Ling/Queen.

An Marco the commander every top tier struggle with the perfect example. Obviously kizaru can’t neg Ling/Queen because Marco
:laughmoji:

Meme temporarily downing Awakening Law/Kid not enough to neg Ling/Queen? Despite Marco/vista a directly comparable team, literally being flies to Akainu. My god WG legion members are the rarest of Zfans

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
For all intents and purposes, yeah, he is…for a character that, like the other Supernovae, didn’t exist for more than 10 minutes before his chapter of introduction, he’s virtually been Luffy’s greatest ally since the end of Marineford and has received an inordinate amount of focus for a non-Straw Hat. If the author had done a better job of fleshing out his crew or showing some of his exploits before and during the timeskip, I don’t think it would even be a question at this point in the story :wonderland:

The thing about Law is that he has developed steadily since his introduction. He has an interesting story and so that makes him a deuteroganist in my eyes, because I’m interested in his story and Oda writes about him second most often.

If Law is the true deuteroganist than he’s getting out of this Blackbeard fight with a lead, though. Because he has a dream that requires he to go to Laugh Tale, too.

Law surely did have his fair share of plotlines in the Yonko saga but it seems like Blackbeard is about to put a stop to it.
Among all the characters that are allied with Strawhats, Law has been the most important one, by far, so far.
His deuteragonist ambitions ended when he separated from Strawhats and seems to be another Ace that BB ends up crushing.
Law has the greatest ambition of all. To rise from unplanned minor character to undisputed deuteroganist. Only oda can stop him.:suresure:

Last edited:
Title says it all. I decided to make this topic to discuss whether Law can be considered as a deuteragonist of the One Piece manga or not. :shocking:

Let's all look at the way Law has been developed ever since his introduction in chapter 498:

- His rivalry with Luffy(main protagonist) and Kid was developed
- Saved Luffy's life after the events of Marineford
- Was Mastermind of the Rocky Port incident that happened during the timeskip, that led to him being turned into a Shichibukai(one of the 3 main powers in One Piece), an incident involving Coby(where his marine "hero" epiteth came from), Ochoku(former rock pirate and former boss of Blackbeard's current island - Fullalead), and Blackbeard himself(perceived as one of the final villains of the manga)

- Defeated Luffy's long time marine rival(Smoker), defeated the strongest(Vergo) of the first arc in the new world since post-timeskip started while being responsible of breaking the gears in the new world controlled by the yonkos, and making an alliance with Luffy, with Kaido as a goal

- Participated in the defeat of the main villain(Doflamingo) of the Punk Hazard-Dressrosa Saga while also being introduced as a D(just like Luffy) - enemies of the Gods(Celestial Dragons) and his devil fruit being linked to the national treasure of Marijoa(implied to be related to Imu - current king of the world)

- With the dressrosa events granting him the same bounty as Luffy(500 Millions) and turning him into one of the targets of Akainu(fleet admiral) giving to Fujitora the mission to capture Luffy and him

- Upgraded his alliance with the Strawhats by adding the Mink-Ninja alliance into the mix to prepare for the battle with Kaido
- After an alliance between 2 former rocks(Kaido and Big Mom), he participated in the battle against 2 yonko, and ultimately became one of the 2 ones responsible in Big Mom's defeat, and ultimately gaining the same bounty as Kid and Luffy(3Billions)
- Currently engaged in a battle with one of the final villains of the manga(Blackbeard), with the winner getting the other's poneglyph copies and getting closer to Laugh Tale

When looking at the pros, with how the events unfolded since he was introduced especially post-timeskip, you'd think that Law is indeed one of the closest character that could qualify as a deuteragonist

A con i can find however is that fact that
- He was introduced very late into the manga(chapter 498)

But considering the amount of chapter that had been developed since then(we're in chapter 1063 currently, with the end still nowhere in sight), i don't think it's that detrimental. Won't be the first time something like this happened in a manga. If we take an example of one of the most iconic manga like Dragon Ball for example, Vegeta was only introduced in Z(wasn't part of the original Dragon Ball), but is currently a deuteragonist of the show.

Anyway that's it for me. Leave your throughts on the comments below :optimistic:

Yes, and I don't think it's even a debate at this point. :pepecorn:

It’s pretty clear that Law’s importance to the story post-TS is second only behind Luffy’s on the protagonist’s side. Post-TS One Piece is like 2/3 Law Piece.

No SH besides Sanji has gotten as much personal development as him, mutherfucker even got a 4-5 chapter flashback dedicated to him that detailed his wholeass childhood.

No SH besides Robin has as much importance to the plot as he does, secret D name and even part of the Road Poneglyph reveal with her on Wano.

No SH besides Zoro has been allowed to face a titanic entity like the Yonkos, and the fact that he was credited to beating one of them speaks for itself.

Law might as well be an honorary SH like Vivi, his crew has almost zero screen time and are basically dead weight when it comes to important battles, only there to operate his ship nothing more.
In a way, he has become the Sasuke of One Piece :lusalty:

you can make the argument he is
post time skip
certainly in arcs when hes been present
he is the second most prominent figure.

I dont think op definitively has one tho

you can make the argument he is
post time skip
certainly in arcs when hes been present
he is the second most prominent figure.
Hardly.

Saobody, no.
Marineford, no.
PH, yeah (Though I’ll argue tied with Momo and Kin)
Dressrosa, yeah
Zou, no
Wano, no

Two out of six, and in the biggest arc (Wano) he wasn’t.

Although I see now you’re just talking pre-skip so 2 out of 4

Hardly.

Saobody, no.
Marineford, no.
PH, yeah (Though I’ll argue tied with Momo and Kin)
Dressrosa, yeah
Zou, no
Wano, no

Two out of six, and in the biggest arc (Wano) he wasn’t.

Although I see now you’re just talking pre-skip so 2 out of 4
and I quote
"certainly in arcs when he's been present"
mentions sabaody post time skip
marineford post timeskip ... ? uh sure

wano I would argue yes
certainly the second big player in the alliance
you must be using panel count to determine importance .

PH wano and DR

three of the 4 biggest arcs post time skip , the other being wci where he wasnt present.

and I quote
"certainly in arcs when he's been present"
mentions sabaody post time skip
marineford post timeskip ... ? uh sure

wano I would argue yes
certainly the second big player in the alliance
you must be using panel count to determine importance .

PH wano and DR

three of the 4 biggest arcs post time skip , the other being wci where he wasnt present.
Law wasn’t even the most important person in the BM fight, it was Kid, since he was given the tangential plotline of the Killer vs Hawkins fight being necessary in order to let Kid fight to his fullest and expanded on the Kid Pirates. Plus Oda kept giving Kid the big dramatic final hits that Law was moaning about.

Absolutely not a chance Law was the second most important in Wano. Momo very obviously has that place. Then Zoro, Yamato, Kine’mon, Kid, there’s even an argument to be made for Sanji.

Law’s role in Wano was very much a supporting role. Act One he didn’t do much. Act Two his plot was shunted into the background. Act Three he did nothing until the rooftop, where he was overshadowed by Luffy and Zoro. And after that he had the Big Mom fight, where Kid had the bigger role, and only lasted, what, five chapters? Out of a 150 chapter arc?