Controversial Is there any Shounen with a better World Building than One Piece?

most of them are better than one piece.

For some reason people think that whacky, generic islands = world building. It's not.
Naruto's world building is far better because we know the relationship between countries and how geography of those villages affected a small village like hidden in the rain for their wars.

Meanwhile in one piece islands are randomly spread throughout the world, once you visit them, go to any direction for any amount of time to the other island

Also, the stupid shit how nobody in the blue seas know about haki nor devil fruits. That's so cheap. Even though they literally were watching and reading newspapers where a eartqake man fought a magma man during the biggest war.
Or how visiting pirates don't just show them magic powers like haki, they just obey the law of not showing haki to east blue fuckers.

In terms of Narrative and Character Development, One Piece really is questionable compared to other Shounen.
But in terms of World Building, is there any Shounen better than One Piece in that regard?​
Hahaha read other manga !!
Typical one piece fans who only read one piece but claim one piece has the best world building

Well before marineford I agree thats no other manga can compare one piece world building,
But after wano, I realized one piece are just generic as their story and its so lame and boring, all over the place has japan culture, despite in their world they already have wano

If you ask me who have better world building
Than its Attack on titan, Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

I don't read manga, lol. Even One Piece, i just see the spoilers. This is a genuine question, lmao.
Then I must recomended you to watch attack on titan, hunter x hunter and fullmetal alchemist brotherhood
Promised their really have an actual ending:cheers:
Not like one piece who struggle to finnish it
in this point, after read his explanation about devil fruit in rencent chapter, I even doubt oda know what one piece really is

Last edited:
Naruto's world building is far better because we know the relationship between countries and how geography of those villages affected a small village like hidden in the rain for their wars.
No, just no. Naruto's world building is horrible.
1. 80% percent of Naruto's world is a random generic forest. Whether they are trying to retrieve Sasuke from the Sound4, setting a trap for Orochimaru, Sasuke fighting Deidara + 100 other scenarios, it's always in the same looking generic forest. Sometimes it will be a generic looking desert or a generic looking rocky mountain, but that's a rare occurence. While other hidden viilages have some cool design the story barely occurs inside them, it just can't wait to return to a generic forest.

2. Unclear political and social stratification system. There were some Daymios and whatnot shown at some point in the story and then they simply ceased to exist. There was a concept of powerful crime syndicates existing in the first arc, they ceased to exist. I swear at some point in Shippuden even regular people cease to exist, everyone is as freaking shinobi.

3. Inconsistent technology. In some occasions you se characters using stuff like computers and at the next they are using pigeons to send messages. In a world where computers exist, there isn't any kind of advanced weaponry, people are using kunais and swords... When they were trying to retrieve Garra, they used a remote communication device that would be very helpful in numerous situations later in the story, but just like any opportunity for a decent world building in Naruto, they ceased to exist.

Meanwhile in one piece islands are randomly spread throughout the world, once you visit them, go to any direction for any amount of time to the other island
I don't understand what are you trying to say with this. OPs geography is pretty clearly laid out. And it's also very important for the story (in Naruto you have a few villages and a generic forest between them, it literally doesn't matter where you would put them on the map).

Also, the stupid shit how nobody in the blue seas know about haki nor devil fruits. That's so cheap. Even though they literally were watching and reading newspapers where a eartqake man fought a magma man during the biggest war.
Or how visiting pirates don't just show them magic powers like haki, they just obey the law of not showing haki to east blue fuckers.
This is true. Can't argue

If you ask me who have better world building
Than its Attack on titan, Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Don't know about AoT, but HxH definietly isn't better at world building than OP.
I dind't watch the whole thing, stopped watching at the humanoid bugs arc, but an anime that has to pull out a villain faction as stupid as humanoid bugs out of it's ass does not have a good world building. It was promisning back when Phantom Troupe were the big baddies, but the story decided to abandon the only interesting thing it had going for it to give you an isekai arc followed by a humanoid bugs arc... After watching a 200 episodes, I still don't know what a Hunter is and what a Hunter is supposed to do and I don't remember a name of a single location from the story. The only thing HxH does well is a deep and very well layered power system (nan or whatsitsname) which is definietly better than "the one with stronger haki wins".

As for FMAB, yes it does have an amazing world building, but It's hard to compare it to OP for it's relatively small scale.

People overrate the heck out of the "world building" in One Piece. Just creating a bunch of characters and islands doesn't mean it is world building. Ask ten people on here what they think world building is and you will get ten different answers. There has only been one arc the entire post time skip devoted to world building and it only lasted 6 chapters which was the Reverie.

World Trigger has better world building than One Piece, AOT has better World Building than OP, Arslan has better World building than OP, How I Got Reincarnated as a Slime has better World building than OP.

Apollo

The Sol King
People out here being straight up wrong about some things. Attack on Titan DOES NOT have better world-building than One piece, lack of world-building is actually one of the negatives of AoT, and I am a huge fan of it.

Anyhow, most manga don't really focus on world building and when they try it can be very same-y, as Japanese authors can't really make distinct "cultures" in their fictional worlds.

Some of the better ones with their worlds are HxH, One Piece, Magi and Kingdom off the top of my head. Maybe berserk too, but the author died before the story ended.

People clearly don't know what World Building is:
"Worldbuilding is the process of constructing a world, originally an imaginary one, sometimes associated with a fictional universe. Developing an imaginary setting with coherent qualities such as a history, geography, and ecology is a key task for many science fiction or fantasy writers. Worldbuilding often involves the creation of geography, a backstory, flora, fauna, inhabitants, technology and often if writing speculative fiction, different races. This may include social customs as well as invented languages for the world. " Source: Wikipedia.

One Piece we have Syrup Village, a small village without protection of WG/Marines that a pirate lived many years as a simple employee in order to his master plan to inherit all the money from the sick richest girl. That is World Building.

Baratie a Sea Restaurant that all employees are ex-pirates because they can handle the waves without getting sick and the clients since they are their own protection.

Cocoyasi Village where fishmen uses the sea around them to sink Navy Ships besides all the lore Oda build up about Fishmen explaining why they act like that towards humans(those who were part of Tiger crew).

The whole thing with Reverse Mountain explaining how the 4 seas meet there and how unique grand line is.

Every island has it unique aspect many were briefly showed while others we could explore more.

I'm not 100% aware of Naruto World Building but as far I saw there isn't too much compared to One Piece. HxH is just the same.

C

CensoredbyWG

People are biased either positively or negatively towards oda so they either think he's the best ever or the worst who got "Lucky".

One piece has the best world building among ALL mangas, that's literally the reason to it's popularity, there is no other story with such an interesting universe with so many mysteries, theories, places and secrets.

As for character development and just characters overall, i prefer: bleach, Fullmetal alchemist, HxH, Black Lagoon and Gintama

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of Narrative and Character Development, One Piece really is questionable compared to other Shounen.
But in terms of World Building, is there any Shounen better than One Piece in that regard?​
For some reason people think that whacky, generic islands = world building. It's not
Actually it is, but it's not just that.

One Piece has the best worldbuilding out of many manga (and best character writing too btw)

The reason is that worldbuilding is not just about creating new places. That, everyone can do it, Naruto, bleach, Dragon Ball, My hero, etc.
A good worldbuilding is a worldbuilding that is both narratively, artistically and thematically linked deeply to the story.

And that is something that One Piece and Oda excels at.

Not only did Oda created an entire world that is linked deeply to the themes and narration of his story, but he also did that in sub story catageories with the different island, while maintening a coherance between various thematics and designs.

This is major, and this is why One Piece is still one of the best story, not only in manga form but also in the entire history of storytelling.