Character Discussion Be Honest Do you like Luffys Character more Pre Or Post?

Do you like him more Pre or Post?

• Total voters
G

Gorosei Informer

Pre TS Luffy was brilliantly written in many ways. Post TS has the few great moments but he feels too dumbed down/flanderised and goofier like the other SHs.

I really enjoyed his wackiness with Gear 5th hindsight though. It was refreshing.

He used to make me laugh so much pre TS and admire him a lot. He barely makes me laugh post TS but he has his moments.

I do think his moment vs the enraged army, telling Sanji he can't be Pirate King without him and him exhausting to himself to almost death was phenomenal writing in hindsight though.

Luffy is very accepting and open minded and I appreciate that about him.

I liked him more when he had a shred of reality. “I can’t do anything” “people die.”

Him telling others to stop being naive was great. But now he seems so out of touch with reality.
Completely agree with this too. He showed amazing maturity, awareness of world and such in moments like these. What he did for Nami at Drum Island was really heartfelt and beautiful, much like him and Sanji at WCI.

I do love his reactions to reuniting with Jinbei and Zoro at Wano too though. Also how much he cared for Tama and tried to protect her, oversee her like an older brother would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many have said, he was much deeper pre timeskip, now him and the other SH have become shallow versions of themselves. Meaning Oda amplified the archetype of each character. Luffy was always a shonen trope type protagonist but he had a more pirate like wisdom here and there and had a stronger leadership posture in my opinion. In other words he’s kinda become a Mickey Mouse version of himself (not the abilities but the cartoony dimension of his personality exaggerated more).

Nikuzi

⚓𝒫𝒾𝓇𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝒬𝓊𝑒𝑒𝓃 𝒮𝑒𝓃𝒸𝒽𝑜𝓊⚓
Luffy hasn't changed. Anyone that says they like pre timeskip Luffy more is hating for the sake of it or is mad that the main character takes center stage. There is quite literally no reason to like him more pre timeskip than post because he is relatively static.